Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you're right. My bad. "I think alawaysslueth just misunderstood the article. The tortoises are the ones endangered, they aren't a threat to anyone."

I'm puzzled how the misunderstanding happened. The article clearly says that three tortoises were found dead, not people. Maybe alawaysslueth was tired. :)

Where should there insert the microchip?
Between shoulder blades, lol?

I'm only joking. Halfway
She has a good point. We can rent bikes and baby strollers in theme parks, maybe we should have the opportunity to rent trackers in these types of places.

She has a good point. We can rent bikes and baby strollers in theme parks, maybe we should have the opportunity to rent trackers in these types of places.

I don't think a parks service would do that, if the device failed or for some other reason someone died, they'd be liable for being sued. They don't even put this particular trail on their maps, they don't want to encourage anyone to hike it because it's too easy to get lost. The message is always hike at your own risk, you're responsible for your own safety.

Keep the Parks service out of the responsibility loop, hikers mandated to have them, no GPS on a trail = citation :)
They have shoes don't they? It should be common practice, water, gps, basic items.... as in common sense.
I have knees that are pretty much shot, went hiking in March when it was cool, took water then on a very short trail, knowing my limitations and weaknesses.
I'm almost wondering if foul play could be a culprit here, reading earlier most cases when peeps here get lost it takes 2 to 3 hours on average to locate? There was helicopters, fixed wing pretty cool actually but to no avail to date :(, I'm learning here...

JT is not good place to be this time of year, even for experienced hikers. Today is exceptionally cool at 84 degrees. I've been out there when it's 105, not really fun.

My apologies if this has already been shared. Here is a shot of the trailhead and overviews showing the terrain.

Maze Loop Trailhead.jpg
Maze Loop overview.jpg
Maze Loop overview 2.jpg

Here is a very detailed description of the trail with an interactive map. I may just end up on this trail on my next outing.

https://modernhiker.com/hike/hiking-the-maze

Years ago me and a friend were out hiking deep in a canyon when we came across a dead mule dear. Half of it's rib cage was tore out, obvious signs it was taken down by a mountain lion. We didn't waste any time leaving as we didn't want to find out if it was still around. Not to say this is what happened to our two missing hikers but you just never know what you'll run into out in the wild.

I'm certain they went off trail and probably into one of the many slot canyons. It can be very difficult to find the trail in the desert once you are off it.

Keep the Parks service out of the responsibility loop, hikers mandated to have them, no GPS on a trail = citation :)
They have shoes don't they? It should be common practice, water, gps, basic items.... as in common sense.
I have knees that are pretty much shot, went hiking in March when it was cool, took water then on a very short trail, knowing my limitations and weaknesses.
I'm almost wondering if foul play could be a culprit here, reading earlier most cases when peeps here get lost it takes 2 to 3 hours on average to locate? There was helicopters, fixed wing pretty cool actually but to no avail to date :(, I'm learning here...

Like Erin Corwin was supposedly out for a morning hike in JT, it was anything but.

IMO I'm doubting foul play. Inexperienced hikers, wanted to see a rock formation closer up. Headed off trail and before they knew it everything looked the same . I have hiked most of the NP. Desert hiking by far was the easiest to get turned around. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do people who go on long hikes in deserts (or anywhere else for that matter) routinely take a compass with them?

Like Erin Corwin was supposedly out for a morning hike in JT, it was anything but.

I just watched the special on her about 4 weeks ago, sad, I don't believe what the guy said in court....
The way he choked her and then threw her down the well, sickening at best....

Do people who go on long hikes in deserts (or anywhere else for that matter) routinely take a compass with them?

If you are wise you do. I have a small daypack that I carry even for a couple mile hike. Basic survival stuff for those unpredictable moments.

Hiking the trail.

[video=youtube;Vwqq85IUFGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwqq85IUFGI[/video]

Just a theory and I'm sure searchers considered different routes they could taken. The trail is clearly marked but I'm wondering if this section isn't.

Maze Loop.PNG

Trail is in red, possible route in blue. Thinking they could have taken the southern route, they may have been going and going and missed the portion where it turns up the hill, further walking into the wash expecting to loop back around and it never did.

[video=youtube;GcKA8c62M-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcKA8c62M-w[/video]

If one person falls over a cliff or goes missing on a hike, there's often suspicion about the involvement of the other person. But in this case, they're both missing. In terms of attack by strangers, it fortunately almost never happens, not sure why. Maybe homocidal maniacs are too uncomfortable out in the wilderness, they prefer urban parks.

If one person falls over a cliff or goes missing on a hike, there's often suspicion about the involvement of the other person. But in this case, they're both missing. In terms of attack by strangers, it fortunately almost never happens, not sure why. Maybe homocidal maniacs are too uncomfortable out in the wilderness, they prefer urban parks.

Oh I completely agree. I was thinking like someone else mentioned possible foul play, that something may have happened to them outside the park and the car was placed there as a decoy. It's farfetched, I know.

Didn't a ranger claim that they found evidence of their tracks was going in circles?

Thanks for that trail hike video.

I didn't see any hidey holes or caves to get out of the sun in. I did notice that they were basically at the top of a cliff at the Copperhead overlook, and I hope SAR is finding a way to view the sides of those rocky mountains. They could have slipped and gotten stuck, and just stayed put for all we know. ... although I doubt it. In my gut I feel they ended up hiking at least 10 miles away from where their car was found. I think they saw the planes and helicopters, but were unable to flag anyone down. And then I think they just finally succumbed to the elements. I hope I'm wrong and they suddenly surface today or tomorrow. I am absolutely sick inside about what has possibly happened to these two. :(

It's been 6 days. Odds of them being found alive are dwindling. I just hope they brought an over abundance of supplies. Food, water. However water is so heavy to carry. With the rain, if either one of them made some kind of water catchment system, that could make all the difference in the world. You can live without food, but not without water. My only hope is that with the rain, they have been somehow able to survive this. It's obvious if they are still out there, they are lost. Hopefully at some point they left some kind of markers, piled rocks, sticks, wrote in the ground with a stick, left clothing or something else behind. I have to wonder at what point and how far they were when they realized they were lost or in trouble.

I'm still holding out hope.

Such a sad situation. It appears Rachel earned the Girl Scout Gold Award in 2015. I wonder if through Girl Scouts she had any type of outdoor experiences.

If you are wise you do. I have a small daypack that I carry even for a couple mile hike. Basic survival stuff for those unpredictable moments.

Yep, my Dad was a survival instructor in the Air Force and he taught me to always have a daypack on ANY hike, no matter how short.

Such a sad situation. It appears Rachel earned the Girl Scout Gold Award in 2015. I wonder if through Girl Scouts she had any type of outdoor experiences.

I hope so. I was a Girl Scout leader who had a camping troop and taught my girls survival tactics. It was all very basic though because I had 12 year olds. Not all troops focused on that though. The other troop going at the time I had mine was a non camping troop. FWIW.

That's a smart thing to do. Something I'd suggest carrying is surveyors ribbon as well, especially if going exploring off trail. Easy to mark your way with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288