Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Gardener1850, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Ten

Force Ten Well-Known Member

2. GigTu

GigTu ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ

3. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

I'm not suggesting it's a hotbed of criminal activity. Just that a quiet place in the very early morning might be somewhere that criminals might use for whatever purposes. Maybe something happens there once every few months and this time two innocent visitors were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The longer these two are missing, and the more searches that fail to find them, the more we should at least be open to the possibility that they are not in the park.

4. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

5. thekarmabus

thekarmabus Well-Known Member

6. Gardener1850

[h=1]Families of missing hikers make announcement[/h]
    There is video of Joseph's father speaking at the link. He also pleads that if anyone is holding them against their will to release them.
    http://www.kesq.com/news/reward-announced-for-any-info-on-missing-hikers/612750357

7. Seajay

Seajay Never pass up an opportunity to pee.

8. GigTu

9. Gardener1850

JMO, I think it is wishful thinking. I can't blame them for wanting to hold onto hope their loved ones are alive.

Also in that article:
    Another Search and Rescuer, Dave Pylman is in the video saying (Paraphrasing) that the area they are searching is 80% of the typical area* and it will never get searched thoroughly because there are too many cracks and crevices they could be in.

*I'm not really sure what he means by the typical 80% comment

Anyway, IMO, it seems like the professional searchers think they most likely are still in the park.

10. Force Ten

I already posted this. But it's cool to bring it forward. However this only shows a very small portion of the trail area. It would be beneficial IMO to post all the footage for people to scan and look for themselves.

11. MzOpinion8d

MzOpinion8d On Time Out

I'd say the possibility is less than a one percent chance they're not in the park.

Criminals would have killed them and left them where they lay. They aren't going to take the time to move and hide dead bodies, and if they did, they'd have taken the car away from the scene as well.

They went hiking in a vast space difficult terrain, in the hottest part of the summer. They weren't properly equipped to be in the park long, and exposure got them.

12. MzOpinion8d

MzOpinion8d On Time Out

It sounds to me like he means they're searching the typical area, but 20% of that area is not searchable.

13. thekarmabus

thekarmabus Well-Known Member

I agree with you. However if family has some concern I would ask why are they considering the idea. Instead of a reward maybe use the money for a private investigator . Start with texts and calls, the trip he made two weeks earlier there with his friend, the activities from the night before they went hiking etc...no stone left unturned approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Force Ten

My impression of the statement is 80 percent of the search has been focused on the Maze Loop area, 20 percent elsewhere.

15. JetsFan24

JetsFan24 New Member

I brought up the idea of the trip with the friend and it's potential relation to something criminal and it was dismissed rather quickly earlier in this thread... all angles should be pursued. IT wouldn't be unheard of if they weren't in the park although extremely unlikely. If something criminal happened you would think they would've left them in the park but who knows?

16. Force Ten

It's not out of the realm of possibilities but there are a few things that I can't look past. One is the ping that happened late in the day (4 PM). While it doesn't necessarily put them in the park, it places at least Orbeso's phone in the 10 mile radius of the tower near the park. The second thing is the tracks. I don't believe they would have stated they were there's unless they could conclusively determine it was their's. Also, they were located pretty deep in the canyon far off the trail. It would probably take about 3 hours to get to that point, maybe a little less. You're not going to encounter a random abductor out there. Curiously though, they stated the tracks were heading north into the canyon, as not coming out of. So because of this, and the town (community?) of Panoramic Heights being so close to those tracks (about a mile give or take), they could have run into some seedy characters there while seeking help.

As far as inside the park, major crimes or abductions are extremely rare. The rangers are more like cops than people realize and cruise around through the campgrounds and other areas very regularly. I don't think people are totally dismissing it, just more of sticking to Occam's Razor.

17. killer Chaser

killer Chaser Member

There are not very many out in this area but the Laura Ann Bradbury case has to be the strangest one, here's something from Laura's father's book. http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1275&p=13313#p13313 And here's another this one could be military related. http://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/34/HomicideColdCase/1981/Sandra_Rhodes.pdf

18. GigTu

At about 3-4 weeks after the person(s) disappeared, if there are no leads, it seems like every case begins to follow the same cycle of theorizing. Sometimes the theories are outlandish, sometimes they end up being realistic.

<imo> In a place where survival is dependent on great amounts of water and shelter from the environment. the least likely scenario is a ne'er-do-weller waiting out in the dangerous desert hoping a hiker will stumble upon them. It's possible sure, but it seems quite unlikely. Perhaps they did make it to a populated area and met with harm at that point. Again though, it seems unlikely. </jmo>

I really wish they had already been found, but it appears as though it may not be the case until milder temperatures are here. Even then, a random group of hikers will likely be the ones to discover them, which could be years from now.

19. iscaremyself

iscaremyself Well-Known Member

I really hope they ran away.

20. LisaWL7TR

LisaWL7TR Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.