Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Gardener1850, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

I am thinking there could be an explanation:

Couple starts out on the easier Maze Loop trail. They complete the hike, then decide to attempt Smith Water Canyon on the same day. As they are not in trouble yet, crossing the main road does not faze them. As some point on the hike up the canyon, they get overwhelmed. Or, they get confused and hike into a canyon that they think is Smith Water canyon. They then get disoriented?
    I think that is a good use of Occam's sharp razor. Another experienced hiker commenting on a Grand Canyon case also stated that National Parks are well patrolled and really don't have resident squatter colonies of the aggressively drunk / drugged nor the commercial pot growers that some National Forests or BLM lands do have.

2. MerBeach

MerBeach Active Member

I think someone mentioned this earlier. Please forgive if this is repetitive. I just keep thinking about areas like The Chasm of Doom in the park. I just watched the show Rock the Park on Netflix where they explore this area. I'm certain searchers have already checked this area out. I'm just wondering about other cracks and crevices in more remote areas.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VXVxiDDBJKw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Force Ten

Force Ten Well-Known Member

Smith Water Canyon is not overly popular. These were novice hikers and by all accounts, not familiar with JT. IMO, they found shelter in the rocks and expired there. That's the only conclusion I can come to why they haven't been located.

4. Seajay

Seajay Never pass up an opportunity to pee.

Sadly, after all this time, that's what I think, too. They are not with us anymore. They didn't have the experience nor the provisions but be gone this long and still be with us. IMO

5. Balboa Moon

Balboa Moon Member

Chasm of Doom
    Good grief-why? It gives me chills just watching that video even though the make it **look** pretty easy. Maybe they saw something like this on the Internet and decide to to go for an adventure, not realizing these folks probably had ropes, first aid supplies, sat phone, etc., if thy got into trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. GigTu

GigTu ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ

This video of a family with kids going through the 'chasm of doom' makes it look doable by anyone without ropes or tools. I can see our missing couple trying something similar in the wrong place and getting stuck. :(

[video=youtube;HHQC8OmnR08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQC8OmnR08[/video]

7. azure

azure Well-Known Member

At this point, that's the only theory that makes sense to me.

8. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

Wow yeah that looks very tight. Reminds of the crevice Aron Ralston was stuck in.

But wouldn't it be unlikely that both, Rachel and Joseph get stuck? Not impossible I guess, but unlikely. imo

9. GigTu

Well, maybe it's not as simple as that. Maybe one fell, and the other got stuck trying to save him/her. There are so many scenarios that could be possible, which is why I think their discovery will occur "accidentally" by future hikers.

10. Force Ten

Joseph's father is back out this morning exploring the Window Loop area.

Another video of the area.

[video=youtube;0JUctRTvWr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JUctRTvWr0[/video]

11. GigTu

Temps have been in the 80s, and expected to stay there all weekend. I imagine the park is bustling with hikers for the 3-day weekend. I hope these two are found soon.

12. tarabull

tarabull Life is a puzzle.

I missed this if posted previously, I searched but didn't find it either tho that doesn't always pan out for me :blushing:

Regardless, there is an actual segment of the drone footage from above the maze...(fwiw, it all reminds me of a Bev Doolittle print...)

Snipped...
    http://www.kesq.com/news/national-park-service-drones-helping-in-search-for-missing-hikers/612176700

13. Topcat

Topcat snooper

I haven't read all the pages yet but my question is "Was there any pings from "her" phone? I read about his but no mention about hers...thought that was unusual..

14. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

No her phone has never been mentioned as far as I'm aware.

15. Topcat

Topcat snooper

"right wing" anarchists? why "right wing" and not just anarchists or ecoterrorists?

16. Mercedes

Mercedes Verified Expert

Tricia is still accepting donations for WS; now Critical.
    Thanks, Caroline.

17. metroMRX

metroMRX New Member

They were alleged to have links with radical right militia groups, who were believed to have been hiding them after the spree. I'm not sure how much proof of this was ever revealed if any, but that's where the right wing aspect originates.

18. GigTu

Code:

Two young people got lost in Joshua Tree National Park. They need to be found. Please keep the focus on finding these missing people. All help from any searching groups will be appreciated .... are they letting visitors into the park around the areas these two went missing?

19. AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick Member

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

I'm not seeing any active alerts that the area is closed? I'm 95% certain there was one at the height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Force Ten

It was closed but I don't think it is anymore, especially since it's now cooling. Maybe with more hikers out there they will be found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.