Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thermal imaging won't find someone sheltering behind a boulder or in a cave.

A few points I noticed from this write-up on the trails where they went hiking https://backpackers.com/spring-hikes-the-maze-loop-in-joshua-tree-national-park-california/

- hike before beginning of June, not during summer, the heat is too extreme
- the trails aren't well signed and easy to get lost
- bring a map and compass and alert park rangers of your plans before you go
- there are peaks that will give great views if you're willing to scramble up them, but make sure you know how to get back to the trail.
- the loop described is quite strenous and would take 4-5 hours.

Since they were supposed to check out of their Airbnb by 11, and considering the mid-day heat, it seems to me they intended a quite brief hike. Unfortunately, that might mean they didn't bring much water.

bbm But surely they would come out of their sheltered place if they heard a plane?

I was wondering about the hood too.

Me too. The only thing I could think of was that maybe the car was very hot? Or is this a stupid thought? (No experience with cars parked in deserts.)

bbm But surely they would come out of their sheltered place if they heard a plane?

Me too. The only thing I could think of was that maybe the car was very hot? Or is this a stupid thought? (No experience with cars parked in deserts.)

RBBM

No, your thought is not stupid. The car's engine could have overheated.

From an article about car issues in hot weather:

1. Engine overheating. Have you ever seen a car on the side of the road with its hood up? If so, there is a good chance it is overheating.

https://www.fairfaxautorepair.com/three-of-the-most-common-summertime-car-problems/

Still praying they are found okay.

The massive search -- which includes members from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department and California Highway Patrol, as well as volunteers -- was suspended overnight due to weather and safety concerns, according to Joshua Tree National Park public information officer George Land.

Search and rescue teams resumed efforts Tuesday round 5 a.m. local time but on a smaller scale, Land said.

http://abc11.com/news/search-suspended-for-couple-who-disappeared-at-national-park/2266140/

SAR for that area has had so many successful finds, so I'm shocked they haven't located these two. I know aircraft has been out there, but they need to allow drones into the rocky regions for closer views at a higher rate of speed. It's beginning to feel grim.
frown.gif

Not an experienced hiker, but what types of signals do hikers send out when in trouble? I suspect flares, if taking a longer hike, but it sounds like Rachel and Joseph were going to be gone just a short time.

I wonder if Tom Mahood is part of the SAR team. He knows Joshua Tree like the back of his hand. He has successfully found many missing in Joshua Tree and Death Valley. This is his super interesting blog.

http://www.otherhand.org/

I wonder if Tom Mahood is part of the SAR team. He knows Joshua Tree like the back of his hand. He has successfully found many missing in Joshua Tree and Death Valley. This is his super interesting blog.

http://www.otherhand.org/

I'd be willing to bet if he isn't currently involved, he will be. We know they need to be found ASAP.

JMVHO.

lol I know seven different non related men named Than Nguyen.

it is the jones/sanchez of Vietnamese.

More like EXTREMELY common (esp. in California), for what it's worth.

this story is very worrying. and why suspend the search :(

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/07/31/missing-hikers-joshua-tree/

Where are they? Argh!
Rachel Nguyen of Westminster and Joseph Orbeso of Lakewood drove to Joshua Tree National Park last Thursday.

“There were some footprints. We found them in sporadic places through intermittent areas through the park. One thing that will happen when people are in heavy heat stress, they’ll start taking off pieces of clothing. We haven’t found any of that thus far,” said George Land, Joshua Tree National Park spokesman.
Joseph sound like such a very nice young man.
Neighbors told CBS2’s Stacey Butler that Orbeso lives in Lakewood with his parents and attends Cal State Fullerton. He is known for his kindness because he takes out the trash for his elderly neighbors every week.

The only thing I could think of was that maybe the car was very hot? Or is this a stupid thought? (No experience with cars parked in deserts.)

No, it is not a stupid thought.

An older car of mine would constantly over heat while going up steep desert grades in California. Most new cars can handle desert environments- if they have the benefit of using all their cooling abilities. This would mean that the car has adequate water, the water pump is working, and the car is moving (air cooling affect). I am not that familiar with new cars from a mechanical point of view. But....

I am thinking that the couple might of let the engine idle and the ac run while they went for a short hike. The stationary car then over heated with out the air cooling effect. As the computer sensed the over heating, it shut the engine down.

The couple comes back and tries to start the car. An older car would start, but soon over heat again unless the engine was cooled down. A new car, however, may refuse to start until a sensor allows it to. It might be possible to over come this by dis-connecting the battery and clearing the computer. A lot of people, however, may not try this (and it might not work either). The couple then abandons the car as they cant start it and sets off on foot.

So the search was suspended overnight and resumed again in the morning (Tue) but on a smaller scale, if I understand correctly? Why did they scale down? There's not much hope left to find them alive, it is day 5, right?

So the search was suspended overnight and resumed again in the morning (Tue) but on a smaller scale, if I understand correctly? Why did they scale down? There's not much hope left to find them alive, it is day 5, right?
Sadly, hope is dwindling. The search might have been scaled back to allow more experienced searchers room to work.

Part of the search hinges on tracking the lost individuals. There are two main tracking methods and I would not be surprised if both are being used in conjunction with each other. I have seen experts use one of these techniques with very good real world results and saw another expert demonstrate the other method. His abilities were amazing.

But... these experts need room to work. Too many searchers can leave confusing tracks or obscure the couple's tracks. Likewise, too many searchers leaves the possibility that well meaning rescuers get into trouble themselves which leads to the need to "rescue the rescuers". This takes time and resources.

Sadly, hope is dwindling. The search might have been scaled back to allow more experienced searchers room to work.

Part of the search hinges on tracking the lost individuals. There are two main tracking methods and I would not be surprised if both are being used in conjunction with each other. I have seen experts use one of these techniques with very good real world results and saw another expert demonstrate the other method. His abilities were amazing.

But... these experts need room to work. Too many searchers can leave confusing tracks or obscure the couple's tracks. Likewise, too many searchers leaves the possibility that well meaning rescuers get into trouble themselves which leads to the need to "rescue the rescuers". This takes time and resources.

What you say makes sense.

Do you mind explaining the two main tracking methods in more detail? I find it very interesting to learn about it.

Very worried about those two today!

How much can a person hike a day in this weather and terrain? 10 to 20 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member