CA - Rev. Leslie Crane, 39, Laytonville, 18 Nov 2005

Discussion in 'Mendocino County' started by burblestein, Aug 21, 2016.

1. burblestein

burblestein Well-Known Member

And a word about the AVA...when it comes to crime news, they don't mess around. You just have to ignore some of the trimmings around the crime news--the editor does have his pet journalistic hobby horses.
    And I don't know if any of you have picked up his byline in my posts, but Bruce McEwen of the AVA is a fine reporter whose style is reminiscent of a modern Ring Lardner.

2. Jeremiah Crane

Jeremiah Crane New Member

3. Jeremiah Crane

I would absolutely appreciate that who knows what I've overlooked or forgotten at this point. A refresher is probably a good idea

4. Jeremiah Crane

Ok I had to scroll up a little more and catch up. I'll start compiling everything tomorrow and keep up with you guys on my progress and what else to do next etc. I appreciate the help and being patient w me getting back a little sporadically here lately my schedule is pretty arbitrary at best

Laughing likes this.
  5. burblestein

My mind can't let go of one item about this case. When asked who had broken in, Les Crane's dying words were, "They came to see the Count today." The Count being the young man sleeping in the trailer that night. And that's what bugs me. If they didn't come in daylight, then why did he specify "today" in the middle of the night?

So, to me, the question becomes, Who actually did come to the trailer the previous day to see The Count?

Not that I can do anything about this promising lead, unless I am approved as a Verified Insider.

StarrChance and Laughing like this.
  6. Jeremiah Crane

Right I'm not 100% sure what's ok to discuss right here but if I remember right, my dad said the people came earlier in the day to see Sean (Count) as he was staying there on the property. I'm not sure what they were there for Sean wouldn't confirm who they were to me just claimed he couldn't remember.

Laughing likes this.
  7. MissInvizzible

MissInvizzible Member

Yeah I think so too.

Laughing likes this.
  8. burblestein

Lilibet likes this.
  9. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

Excellent article by George Dorner. ;) I especially like these points:
    The burning question in this case then is, Who came to the farm to visit “The Count” on the day before the murder? And my intuition kicks in with, Given the timing of the raid, did at least some of the raiders sop up liquid courage nearby until 2 o'clock closing? Perhaps some regular in a local waterhole recalls something odd in the wayback…?
    BBM

I hope ”The Count” was thoroughly questioned by LE about who came to see him, even though it appears he claimed “forgetfulness” to Les’s son.

And maybe a regular at the local bar will have enough memory and enough courage to put two and two together.

So many of these Emerald Triangle cases could be solved if locals weren’t afraid they’ll be next.

10. El Viejo

El Viejo New Member

Jennifer had a lover prior to Les Crane. Seems the man was ditched by her and he was in the Laytonville area. The Drewry family from Michigan said something about his telling Jennifer that she was going to regret it (leaving him). Could be she knew Crane's assailant by his voice in the next room and he wanted to terrorize her. Jennifer has since commited suicide by hanging herself. Family said she received a phone call and was found the next day cowering in fear under her bed. Soon afterwards they found her hanging from a tree in their yard.
    Surprised that the enraged boyfriend angle was never discussed by Jennifer.

StarrChance likes this.
  11. burblestein

Hello, and welcome aboard Websleuths.
    This is very interesting, El Viejo. How about elaborating on this info?

Laughing and StarrChance like this.
  12. Lilibet

Sadly, it looks like Jennifer ended up having good reason to be afraid. :(

Laughing and StarrChance like this.
  13. StarrChance

StarrChance Well-Known Member

Is her name Jennifer Helen Drewry? I found a death in Michigan in 2013. Would a ex boyfriend still following her 8 years later?

Laughing likes this.
  14. Lilibet

I wonder if he’d been in prison and just got out and was still seeking revenge.

15. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

Hope the son is holding on through this difficult year. I've chosen not to use the @ signal, to leave him in peace.

He'll find us when he's ready to try again IMHO.

jmho ymmv lrr

Lilibet and StarrChance like this.
  16. burblestein

Bit of irony here...I was just at Les's old stomping grounds, Area 101, yesterday.

Lilibet, StarrChance and Laughing like this.