CA CA - Rex Donald Shinn, 32, Petrolia, Humboldt County, July 2003

burblestein

Reaction score
Rex Donald Shinn
5 feet 8 inches tall
160 pounds
Blue eyes
Brown hair

Rex was reported missing in Humboldt County, CA in July 2003; he was a resident of Loleta. On 30 August 2003, his abandoned truck was found in Petrolia CA. The truck is described as a silver-blue 1995 extended cab Chevrolet pickup, CA license 5B49549. Its doors are inscribed with his company name--Shinn Dig Excavation.

The discovery of the truck sparked a homicide investigation, which soon developed a suspect. However, Rex's remains were not found until 20 January 2005. His autopsy identified him through dental work. He had been shot to death. The POI goes unnamed in the sources.

North Coast Journal - Feb. 17, 2005: IN THE NEWS

watchpaul: a 2003 murder case

I personally know a cousin of Rex Shinn. She told me intimate details of this case a few years ago when we worked together. Like where his body was found, how and why he was killed, and things done to him while being killed. I don't quite remember every thing told to me.

However, I went to high school with the suspect/POI in this case. I also know his younger brother. RC the POI died a few years back in a motor vehicle accident on Hwy 36.

His accident was covered by Lost Coast Outpost as well as Red Headed Black belt.

I am new here and don't know how to provide links. That is why I am not providing the details of the case that were revealed to me.

I will say that LE knew who did it but said person was never held accountable for the killing.

Unfortunately, there are cases where LE knows a killer's identity, but can't get enough proof for charges. Websleuths abounds with such cases.

It's not hard to post links. Highlight and "Copy" the web address of the page you wish to post. Then bring it over here and click "Post". Done.

Here's a slightly conflicting report. According to the Willits News, Rex was found on 20 January 2007. He was shot several times, in what is considered a pot-related homicide. There has been a trial for Rex's murder. However, the jury acquitted on first degree murder, and hung on second degree.
Area media reports on missing persons: – The Willits News

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back