CA CA - Richard 'Dick' Hansen, San Jose, 29 April 1991

Hi. My name is Julie and Richard Hansen is my Father...I joined the group so that I could post because I am overwhelmed with emotion that complete strangers would take note of my Father's case and would be interested to help in anyway...This case is very much cold but if anyone has questions, recommendations or anything that I could help with, please let me know. Otherwise, thank you again for showing such compassion through your interest and attention over the years...Very best regards, Julie Hansen

A couple of years back we had posted the unsolved mysteries clip to YouTube and there were a lot of comments...Someone had posted that they knew who did it and it had to do with my Father purchasing drugs from someone and then paying him with a wad of fake money as a joke and that it really irritated the person because it made him look bad and so he had my Father killed...The story actually sounded like something that my Father would do...We had contacted the Sunnyvale police department and they had said it was a dead lead. I am not extremely confident that they exhausted all possibilities but at the same time I am a strong supporter of law enforcement and all of their efforts early on in the case...They have limited resources and I get it...Anyway, thanks again! As a matter of reference, here are episode details... http://www.tv.com/shows/unsolved-mysteries/episode-180-174750/ First aired 2/16/1994, episode 180

A couple of years back we had posted the unsolved mysteries clip to YouTube and there were a lot of comments...Someone had posted that they knew who did it and it had to do with my Father purchasing drugs from someone and then paying him with a wad of fake money as a joke and that it really irritated the person because it made him look bad and so he had my Father killed...The story actually sounded like something that my Father would do...We had contacted the Sunnyvale police department and they had said it was a dead lead. I am not extremely confident that they exhausted all possibilities but at the same time I am a strong supporter of law enforcement and all of their efforts early on in the case...They have limited resources and I get it...Anyway, thanks again! As a matter of reference, here are episode details... http://www.tv.com/shows/unsolved-mysteries/episode-180-174750/ First aired 2/16/1994, episode 180
Going to bump a cold case, on the off chance this is the real daughter responding, and no sleuther replied? Sad to me.

Whether you are truly Dicks daughter or not, i do not, in anyway believe this really happened.

I would place a big, fat bet it was the girlfriend.

She was in his car. Gets into her car. Says she will follow him. Then flags him down. He gets off next exit, walks to HER car, where she shoots him, point blank.

Either for the drugs in his pocket. Or the money in his pocket, so she could buy drugs.

If Dick had actually purchased drugs from him, he would have recognized him as he approached, assuming for some weird reason he did not know his dealers car.

Nope. It was the girl. I would bet my...something good on it.

Sure would like a definite on the motive though.

Going to bump a cold case, on the off chance this is the real daughter responding, and no sleuther replied? Sad to me.

Whether you are truly Dicks daughter or not, i do not, in anyway believe this really happened.

I would place a big, fat bet it was the girlfriend.

She was in his car. Gets into her car. Says she will follow him. Then flags him down. He gets off next exit, walks to HER car, where she shoots him, point blank.

Either for the drugs in his pocket. Or the money in his pocket, so she could buy drugs.

If Dick had actually purchased drugs from him, he would have recognized him as he approached, assuming for some weird reason he did not know his dealers car.

Nope. It was the girl. I would bet my...something good on it.

Sure would like a definite on the motive though.

Your scenario sounds very plausible. I agree tha the girl friends story does not make much sense, as told by her. Why would the killer look her in the face and then let her go, after she witnessed the killing? And why didnt she get the license plate if it happened the way she said?

I couldn't get the video(s) to work. They aren't on YouTube anymore (at least at their linked location), so I couldn't tell how much the episode concentrated on the license plate. The little blurb on TV.com seems to act like it was important.

I didn't see this already linked, but I went through the thread in a rush...

Episode #184 (2/16/1994)
Dick Hansen

...He then stepped back and shouted at him. It was then that he fired his gun at him. Jean frantically rushed back to see if she could help, then froze in fear just staring at the man who stared back at her for a few seconds before taking off into the night. Unfortunately, Dick was dead by the time paramedics arrived. Jean speculates that his stature resembling that of a football player and her license plate number "49R HUGS," in reference to the San Francisco 49ers, might have gotten Dick killed by a fanatical fan of a rival team. The man has never been identified and the case remains unsolved.
Suspects: The suspect is a white man with a dark complexion. He wore eyeglasses with large black frames. His car looked like a 1970 Pontiac GTO LeMans. It was a two door coupe, with a dull, faded, light grey or blue paint job.

From the Unsolved Mysteries Wiki.
Listing of cases and/or episode guide: Casefiles

Weird. I lived in the area at this time and don't recall this at all.

Always been fascinated by this case since I saw it on unsolved mysteries. Hope you get some anwers

I cannot find any info about wether it has been solved or not.

A man and a woman are driving home at night and they are in separate cars following each other and they stop off somewhere for some reason and a strange man pulls up behind them and just sits there staring at them. They pull off and get on the highway and the man follows them and tails them the whole way so then they pull off and the man (Dick Hanson) gets out to confront the man and the strange man points at the back of the woman's car and says something and Dick Hanson says "Get the hell outta here!' and the stranger pulls out a gun and shoots and kills him. After the shots are fired the woman jumps out of her car and looks back at the man and he just sat and stared at her and then drove off.

Does anyone remember this case? I want to say it was in Seattle, maybe...and the victim was a former pro football player and newly divorced.

It happened in San Jose, or nearby. I live in San Jose, and I’ve been trying to figure out where exactly it happened. Every article I see just says they pulled off a highway. What highway? What exit? What street?

Strange & sad case. Why did this mysterious guy park his car behind Dick Hansen & Jane's car on the deserted, late-night street? And, why did he start following them after they pulled out?

As has been suggested, it's possible something happened earlier - either at the bar or in traffic, and the guy was angry at either Jane or Dick (or both of them) for some possibly "imagined" slight, or a traffic incident - and he wanted to get back at them for this.

Or, another possibility is that the guy was deranged & just saw both of them talking on a deserted street, and just wanted to mess with them; so, he pulled up behind them & parked - for the purpose of unnerving/scaring them. Maybe he was jealous that they were together & he was alone?! Who knows why motivates crazy/jealous people.
Or - as has been suggested, maybe he was unjustifiably upset that they were blocking the mailbox on the street?!

I do understand why Dick & Jane pulled off the highway & stopped their cars (after the highway chase), leading to the guy pulling behind them & parking his car. I.e., they didn't want to drive home (or, to one of their homes) and have the guy follow them - because if they did, he could see where one of them lived.

Couldn’t the police just type in the plate number and figure out who owned the car?

Couldn’t the police just type in the plate number and figure out who owned the car?
I don't believe there was a man. I do not buy the girlfriend's story. This alleged man was chasing them and she did not think to take down his license plate number after just witnessing a murder. It does not add up.

How recently divorced was RH when he was murdered?

I was followed in the same manner Jean was , by a man who clamed to be Zodiac. I got away from that man in Vallejo 1969, he continued to play games with me over many years! I pretended I had no idea who he was, so he would give me more clues, that worked for a while, then I think he caught on. The man Jean saw fits the description of my suspect. I do not have his full name, but I took two pictures of him in 1990. I would like Jean to see those pictures! I did phone Sunnyvale PD. I am sure they must think I am crazy to think Zodiac shot Dick Hansen. About Jeans plate, one of Zodiac's victims sister had a plate like Jean's, I think it was like "49ER Hugs"! I believe the shooter saw that plate, and thought she was Darlene's sister Pam, and that is why he followed her!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back