CA CA - RODNEY HALBOWER, Gypsy Hill Murders, 1976

http://staugustine.com/news/national-news/2015-01-24/dna-ties-prisoner-2-6-serial-killings-1976

The San Mateo district attorney’s office charged Rodney Halbower, 66, on Thursday with two counts of murder during the course of rape for the deaths of Paula Baxter, 17, and Veronica Anne Cascio, 18...

Halbower denied involvement in any of the killings in a jailhouse interview with a local television station. “I’m confused, and I want some answers,” he told KGO-TV. “I don’t know anything. No knowledge about this.”

Halbower submitted a DNA sample when he was transferred from a Nevada prison to Oregon State Prison in November 2013.

This definitely isn't the end of this. He has escaped from prison several times and been apprehended all over the country. There are more victims of this monster! Sad :(

This definitely isn't the end of this. He has escaped from prison several times and been apprehended all over the country. There are more victims of this monster! Sad :(

I agree, the more I read, the more I think this may just be the tip of the iceberg :(

Accused: Rodney L Halbower
DOB: June 17th 1948
Born: Muskegon Heights, Michigan

Halbower's history as a habitual criminal began in November 1975, two months before Mitchell's murder, according to the motion submitted to the court Monday.

He was charged that year of sexually assaulting and raping a woman card dealer in downtown Reno. He posted bail and was released days before Mitchell's murder on Feb. 26, 1976, the defense says.

Halbower was tried and convicted for the sexual assault and infamous crimes against nature. He was sentenced to two concurrent terms of life imprisonment, plus a consecutive term of six years, the motion states.

In 1986, though, Halbower escaped Nevada State Prison in Carson City with a second inmate, stole a vehicle in Sacramento, Calif., and drove to Oregon where he stabbed a woman in a vacant parking lot. He was convicted of that crime and paroled to Oregon from Nevada in 2013.

The transfer of custody brought his DNA to light, the defense said in the motion.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/08/evidence-gets-woman-new-trial/15308679/

Two Sex-Crime Convicts Flee Nevada Prison

CARSON CITY, Nev. — Two inmates convicted of sex crimes climbed a wall, walked across a roof, cut through two chain link fences and escaped from the state prison here, authorities said Sunday [...]

[...]The inmates were identified as Orlando Jaime, 23, serving a life term for sexual assault, and Rodney Halbower, whose age was not available, doing two life terms for rape and infamous crimes against nature. Halbower also is serving a six-year term for another escape attempt.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-12-15/news/mn-2977_1_prison-crime-convicts

HALBOWER v. STATE
NO. 8885.
562 P.2d 485 (1977)
Rodney L. HALBOWER, Appellant, v. The STATE of Nevada, Respondent.
Supreme Court of Nevada.
April 7, 1977.
Chubb & Silverman, Sparks, for appellant.
Robert List, Atty. Gen., Carson City, Larry R. Hicks, Dist. Atty. and John L. Conner, Deputy, Washoe County, Reno, for respondent.

OPINION

PER CURIAM:

Rodney L. Halbower was convicted by a jury of forcible rape, infamous crime against nature, and infamous crime against nature with force. He was sentenced to serve two concurrent terms of life imprisonment, plus a term of six years to run consecutively after the completion of the life terms. Two claims of error are asserted. In our view, neither has merit and we affirm each of the convictions.
At 2:20 a.m. on November 27, 1975, the female victim, a "21" dealer, left her place of employment in downtown Reno and began walking home. The defendant grabbed her and forced her into an alley at knifepoint. After being directed to remove her clothes, she was forced to submit to various sexual acts. During the course of these acts, the defendant produced a large salami or bologna which he caused to be inserted in the victim's vagina. Eventually the victim was released. She called the police and the defendant was later apprehended.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19771047562P2d485_11043.xml/HALBOWER v. STATE

http://www.orovillemr.com/general-news/20150203/how-forensics-changed-since-gypsy-hill-murders

A young sergeant on the Pacifica police force recalled the horrific investigation into the Gypsy Hill murders in 1976.

Bob Robinson, 71, now retired and living in Pine Mountain Club, near Bakersfield, was a 29-year-old sergeant with the Pacifica police department when Pacificans Veronica Cascio and Tanya Blackwell died in 1976, two murders linked to several others known as the Gypsy Hill murders.

He was the investigating officer for Blackwell, 14, an Oceana High School freshman whose body would not be found for five months. Murder was not suspected at first...

http://patch.com/california/pacifica/competency-proceedings-begin-alleged-killer-pacifica-teen-0

A judge started proceedings to determine whether an Oregon state prison inmate charged with two murders in 1976 in Pacifica and Millbrae is competent to stand trial, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Tuesday...

Halbower was scheduled to appear in court today in Redwood City to enter a plea, but first made a motion to replace his court-appointed attorney John Halley, Wagstaffe said. The court denied that request and Halley expressed doubt that Halbower was mentally competent to stand trial.

The judge set a hearing for Friday morning to assign doctors to determine Halbower’s competence, Wagstaffe said.

Granny, thanks for the updates! You are amazing! :grouphug:

Trial date set for suspect in Gypsy Hill killings

"REDWOOD CITY — More than 40 years after two young women were found brutally stabbed to death in San Mateo County, a suspect in the Gypsy Hill killings is finally slated to stand trial.

On Tuesday, Rodney Lynn Halbower, 68, pleaded not guilty to killing 18-year-old Veronica Cascio and 17-year-old Paula Baxter in 1976. Judge Donald Ayoob set Halbower’s bail at $10 million and scheduled his trial for Aug. 21, according to prosecutors.

Halbower was connected to the decades-old killings through a DNA match discovered by the San Mateo County Crime Lab, along with crime labs in Oregon and Washoe County, Nevada.

DNA also was used to link Halbower to the killing of Michelle Mitchell, a University of Nevada, Reno student. Mitchell was found dead in Reno in the midst of the killings.

Named for their proximity to Gypsy Hill Road in Pacifica, the killings of Cascio and Baxter were among five believed to have taken place between January and April 1976.

Also found slain were 14-year-old Tanya Blackwell, 26-year-old Carol Booth and 19-year-old Denise Lampe...."

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/12/trial-date-set-for-suspect-in-gypsy-hill-killings/

gypsy24n-4-web.jpg

Link: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...en/derivatives/article_750/gypsy24n-4-web.jpg

([Top left to right] Veronica Cascio, Tanya Marie Blackwell, Paula Baxter, [bottom row left to right] Michelle Mitchell, Carol Lee 'Beedy' Booth and Denise Lampe [ABC 30 ACTION NEWS])
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denise Lampe looks a lot like two of William Bradford's victims: Shari Miller and Donnalee Duhamel.

:bump: this up as next month is August!

Now - Is Halbower accused to murder all these ladies in YESorNO's post #51??

TIA!

:bump: up for the trial scheduled for today!

:judge:

I found a tweeter for this - but since it's in California - it will be 7pm here IF they start at 9am PT. Does anyone know "when" this might be starting?

TIA! :wave:

hmm..... the tweeter guy I have is posting NOTHING on this case and I can't find an update on what's going on in the trial! :gaah:

This is really strange - a 40 year old murder is going to be solved and - no one is following this? - and I don't mean "us" here - I mean reporters or any newspapers!!

I can't find a darn thing on this - and the trial started back on the 21st!

:dunno:

Just an update I found

https://patch.com/california/millbr...suspect-kicked-out-san-mateo-county-courtroom

Looks like there was a preliminary hearing on August 29th, but have found nothing further. I guess my "Trial Starts" on August 21st wasn't true...

Anyone else have better luck? It would very much appreciated!

It does look like this thread is not visited too many times, and not too many people interested in this case.....

I'm really surprised I can't find anything for this trial in San Mateo County - even tried local papers in the area.

Anyone have better luck than I??

TIA! :wave:

I couldn't find anything either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't found any new updates. Strange. Hmmmm????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back