CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartofTexas

New Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
4,320
Reaction score
24
While I'm sad that we still don't know what happened to Rose, I'm a little relieved that the Marin Co. Jane Doe wasn't her because that poor girl died a horrible death.
 

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
205
I just submitted Rose's story to Unsolved Mysteries website...maybe they will post her story. I know the show airs on Lifetime, but I believe they are all reruns, not positive. Their website does have a submit your mystery link and I submitted...who knows?
 

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
205
christine2448 said:
I just submitted Rose's story to Unsolved Mysteries website...maybe they will post her story. I know the show airs on Lifetime, but I believe they are all reruns, not positive. Their website does have a submit your mystery link and I submitted...who knows?
Well, that didn't work :doh:

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Viewer,

Please accept our apologies for not being able to reply with a personal letter, and for any delay in responding.

As you probably know, UNSOLVED MYSTERIES is no longer on the air except in reruns on the Lifetime Channel. No new shows are planned at this time. Unfortunately, I must inform you that we will be unable to pursue your story.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us, and please know that our thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Sincerely,

Viewer Mail Department
UNSOLVED MYSTERIES

[/font]
 

Shadow205

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,755
Reaction score
1,396
Christine,

Since you already have the letter all typed up that you sent to USM, how about trying some other shows. Without A Trace might be a good one to try. They feature a different missing person each week and have them listed on their web site. I think that Greta would be a good one to try and get interested in Rose also. I'll look for some email addresses fro you.
 

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
205
Shadow205 said:
Christine,

Since you already have the letter all typed up that you sent to USM, how about trying some other shows. Without A Trace might be a good one to try. They feature a different missing person each week and have them listed on their web site. I think that Greta would be a good one to try and get interested in Rose also. I'll look for some email addresses fro you.
Yes, Shadow...good idea...a have a COMPREHENSIVE list of every major network and tv shows from other cases, from Geraldo to Greta, from Oprah to Sean Hannity, have a HUGE list....will start emailing. I'll let ya'll know who I email and if I get any responses, as soon as I'm able...also, I think some of our posters have good lists too, I'm sure I have seen them on here, as a matter of fact, I know there is a list on the Amber Harris forum, I'll check there to see if there is any addy's I don't have.
 

hoping4truth

New Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
448
Reaction score
3
I am new to this thread – and decided that I would read all of it before posting.

I wanted to let you all know what an amazing job you have done getting so much information together in so little time. I really believe that you will find what happened to Rose, and I pray the news will be good.

I just had a thought that I wanted to share-

According to Rose’s letters, she walked for 3 days to get to a bus station. Keep in mind, a lot could have been happening in those three days – she could have been distracted. She would have had to find somewhere to eat, sleep, get water (etc.) during her trek, so when you’re zeroing in on locations, keep that in mind. She also could have gotten lost.

It also might have been that she was looking for a bus station similar to a Greyhound. In that case, BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) wouldn’t have really helped her. The closest bus depot that I know of that may have been within walking distance of Oakland was in San Fransisco.

Here’s the website where I got that info: http://www.strayhound.com/depots/

I was also reading part of her letter where she stated that she planned on getting everyone something for Christmas, which leads me to believe that she had money or access to money. She would need money to buy a bus ticket. I would assume that she would plan to take the bus back home, but after all her things were stolen, she probably couldn’t. The only other way to get home for her (if all her money was stolen) would have been hitchhike. Considering she didn’t do that in the first place, makes me draw the conclusion that she was wary of that kind of activity and was trying to stay out of trouble. Franklin Floyd (on the Sharon Marshall thread) used a traveler aid service agency to get a bus ticket after he kidnapped Sharon’s son from school. Maybe the people who she said were taking care of her in her letter were part of a similar charity/agency. She probably lied about her age to get them to help her. If she told them she was a minor, they probably would have called her parents, who might send her back to Synanon.

I ponder these things, and you may already have thought of this, but I just thought I would throw it out there.
 

Dr. Doogie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
2,445
Reaction score
88
hoping4truth said:
It also might have been that she was looking for a bus station similar to a Greyhound. In that case, BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) wouldn’t have really helped her. The closest bus depot that I know of that may have been within walking distance of Oakland was in San Fransisco.
In the 1970's, there was a greyhound station in Oakland (I lived in the Bay Area at the time and remember it). However, if she ran away from the Oakland Synanon facility, it would not have taken three days to reach this terminal (more like a matter of a few hours). I have not closely studied this thread, but has it been established that she left the Oakland facilty and not the Tomales Bay facility? The TB facility would fit with a three day walk to San Francisco.

Does anyone have the address for the Oakland facility? I can pull up a google map and compare it to where the bus station was in the 1970's - this might help clear up this question.
 

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
205
Dr. Doogie said:
In the 1970's, there was a greyhound station in Oakland (I lived in the Bay Area at the time and remember it). However, if she ran away from the Oakland Synanon facility, it would not have taken three days to reach this terminal (more like a matter of a few hours). I have not closely studied this thread, but has it been established that she left the Oakland facilty and not the Tomales Bay facility? The TB facility would fit with a three day walk to San Francisco.

Does anyone have the address for the Oakland facility? I can pull up a google map and compare it to where the bus station was in the 1970's - this might help clear up this question.
Dr Doogie, that's exactly what I thought, made no sense. The Oakland facility is no longer there...however, at home I have the information, address etc of what is there now. I am at work right now and can't remember....it is something like the Federal Trade Towers sit where the Oakland Facility was...maybe you can google that and get address (15th street or something like that is ringin a bell to me)? OH, I don't remember...if you can't find it I'll look at home and see if I can find where I wrote it all down and post for you later.
 

hoping4truth

New Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
448
Reaction score
3
Nevermind...reread the letters - She went to the hwy and hitchhiked, where she was picked up and got into a fight, then she walked for 3 days to get to a greyhound, and after her stuff was stolen, she said she talked someone into taking her back to Synanon. She left Synanon again and went back for her other suitcases, where she discovered they were gone and that security must have taken them. That's when she was found by the people who thought she was 19 and where she was cared for.

Sorry, guess I should have read better...
 

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
205
Dr. Doogie said:
In the 1970's, there was a greyhound station in Oakland (I lived in the Bay Area at the time and remember it). However, if she ran away from the Oakland Synanon facility, it would not have taken three days to reach this terminal (more like a matter of a few hours). I have not closely studied this thread, but has it been established that she left the Oakland facilty and not the Tomales Bay facility? The TB facility would fit with a three day walk to San Francisco.

Does anyone have the address for the Oakland facility? I can pull up a google map and compare it to where the bus station was in the 1970's - this might help clear up this question.
I researched transit in that area, see my post # 612 and there was bus service (BART) at the time she left Synanon.
 

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
205
hoping4truth said:
Nevermind...reread the letters - She went to the hwy and hitchhiked, where she was picked up and got into a fight, then she walked for 3 days to get to a greyhound, and after her stuff was stolen, she said she talked someone into taking her back to Synanon. She left Synanon again and went back for her other suitcases, where she discovered they were gone and that security must have taken them. That's when she was found by the people who thought she was 19 and where she was cared for.

Sorry, guess I should have read better...
LOL, we all do that! I have read your posts here and thank you for contributing...anything you find IS important! Thanks for joining us...the more the merrier and hopefully the more we have working on this the more likely were are to solving this mystery! Thanks again....everything you can think of is valuable IMO. We need all the ideas and input we can get!
 

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
205

Shadow205

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,755
Reaction score
1,396
I had a conversation with Brenda (Roses sister by adoption) who is Opal's daughter last night via instant messenger. She gave me some information that I had never heard before. The letter that Rose wrote on her 16th birthday was NOT the last one that Opal received from Rose. Opal got a post card dated 01/18/73. It was a picture of the Sunset Bay Bridge. I am not sure exactly what Rose said on the post card. Opal received another letter later in 1973 but she is unsure of when. In that letter Rose told her that she was in China Town. She said that she was sick, had a kidney infection but was afraid to go to the Doctor. She was afraid of being caught and taken back to Synanon. She told Opal that she was not going to write anymore for fear of Synanon finding her. She said that she would find Opal no matter where she was once she turned 18.

In reference to what was posted earlier about the Jane Doe in CA being ruled out based on dental records, according to Opal, Rose never had any dental work. Opal says that the only thing that Rose ever had done was routine cleaning. However, she did say that her daughter Norma, had some dental work done on her front teeth at the dentist mention above. Is it possible that Norma and Roses dental work have been mixed up?

I hope that Opal can find the last letter that she got from Rose so we can have a date. I'll post as soon as I know.

I have invited Brenda to join WS's. I know that she was reading here last night.
 

Dr. Doogie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
2,445
Reaction score
88
christine2448 said:
I researched transit in that area, see my post # 612 and there was bus service (BART) at the time she left Synanon.
One quick correction to this (but it probably is immaterial): BART is a light rail system (similar to the Disneyland monorail). BART stations also serve as hubs for local bus routes. The areas served directly by BART are limited: the routes form an "X" - one east/west route from San Francisco to Concord, and one north/south route from Richmond to Hayward. The routes intersected in Oakland.
 

hoping4truth

New Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
448
Reaction score
3
Shadow-

Do you know if these letters were part of what was found after Rose's father moved out of Opal's house, or did Opal receive them herself?
 

HeartofTexas

New Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
4,320
Reaction score
24
I don't know this for fact, but I get the impression Rose didn't have any money... so she probably couldn't have ridden BART.

Thanks for the info, Shadow. That's a lot of new stuff to digest.
 

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
205
Dr. Doogie said:
One quick correction to this (but it probably is immaterial): BART is a light rail system (similar to the Disneyland monorail). BART stations also serve as hubs for local bus routes. The areas served directly by BART are limited: the routes form an "X" - one east/west route from San Francisco to Concord, and one north/south route from Richmond to Hayward. The routes intersected in Oakland.
Not sure I understand.......so bart was train, not bus...but on their website they had a station in Oakland, starting service in 1972...


Bart (the bus service there) had 1st passengers in 1972....between 9/11/72 and 1/29/73 I come up with 18 stations.

No service to San Fran, but did have service to Fremont in 72, Richmond early 73.

11 Sept 1972 - Oakland (MacArthur) - Fremont (44.8 km, 12 stations)
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29 Jan 1973 - Oakland - Richmond (17.6 km, 6 stations)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Am I just not getting it? This isn't the right idea? Dang it! Thought I was on to something LOL!


[/font]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top