CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
christine2448 said:
Not sure I understand.......so bart was train, not bus...but on their website they had a station in Oakland, starting service in 1972...

Bart (the bus service there) had 1st passengers in 1972....between 9/11/72 and 1/29/73 I come up with 18 stations.

No service to San Fran, but did have service to Fremont in 72, Richmond early 73.

11 Sept 1972 - Oakland (MacArthur) - Fremont (44.8 km, 12 stations)
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29 Jan 1973 - Oakland - Richmond (17.6 km, 6 stations)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Am I just not getting it? This isn't the right idea? Dang it! Thought I was on to something LOL!

[/font]
It sounds like by 1972, the tunnel that travelled under the bay between SF and Oakland had not been completed. The north/south route was open between Richmond and Fremont (not Hayward like I had previously said).

BART runs on a track similar to train. Here is picture of what a BART train looks like: http://www.urbanrail.net/am/snfr/sf-bart-lakemerritt1.jpg

The reason for the clarification is that BART had a limited area that it provided transportation to (even more limited since the line to SF was not operational at the time). The Greyhound station that existed in downtown Oakland in the 1970's would have provided transportation to anywhere in the U.S.

And if its any consolation to you Christine, the people of the Bay Area have been trying and figure BART out with little luck for thirty years. The common refrain was "We asked for a train, and we got a space ship?!?" :confused:

Opal got a post card dated 01/18/73. It was a picture of the Sunset Bay Bridge. I am not sure exactly what Rose said on the post card. Opal received another letter later in 1973 but she is unsure of when. In that letter Rose told her that she was in China Town.

The (S
metro2.jpg
unset) Bay Bridge SF is on left of bridge, Oakland is on the right

These shots are from the Live Traffic Cams-it's nice here today.

baycam.jpg

TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHY ROSE MAY HAVE WALKED FOR 3 DAYS:

The Bay bridge in my post prior to this is the shortest route from Oakland to SF. Many people see the bridge in postcards and pictures at sundown and think it is the Golden Gate but the Golden Gate Bridge is farther South. Because of the GGB's popularity for suicide, for as far back as I can remember, LE is very intolerant of pedestrians on any of the bridges around here and she likely would have been arrested on foot. (strange thing is, because of tourism, you CAN walk across the GGB-LOL.)

I live in Vallejo (considered the N. Bay area) about 50 miles northeast of the I-80 Oakland/SF "split".

The split is the point where the highway turns into a "Y". The left arm of the Y is going toward Oakland. The right arm of the Y is the entrance to the Bay Bridge Toll Booths going into SF.

The bay area waterway to the Pacific Ocean starts about 2 miles south of me. The Carquinez bridge separates Vallejo from what is considered the Bay Area.

All of the cities between the Carquinez Bridge to the split, share a common main road that links them ALL together. San Pablo Avenue runs through Pinole, Crockett, Rodeo, Richmond (BART location), San Pablo, El Cerrito, Berkeley (popular haven for college kids & hippies), Emeryville (this is where I-80 splits) and San Pablo Avenue continues through Oakland and on.

It is very possible that Rose walked along San Pablo Ave from Oakland looking for a bus or BART station and ended up walking through several cities without knowing where the cities started and ended.

We do know at sometime she made it to China Town in SF. Since it was doubtful that she walked the span of the bridge without getting busted, she either hitched or hustled up some cash.

My question now is why did she end up in China Town?? It is appropriately named for its Chinese population.

I talked to Norma and she confirmed the dental records might be hers. DoP was informed and here is his reply:

"Jane Doe had a lot of dental work done - plus she had a class II Overbite. If you think the records were mixed with the sister at Motts clinic - try explaining to Motts and see if they can pull the sister's record to see if it looks more like Rose's history - if Norma is still around - she can sign her own release".

He sent the records to me via mail. I will contact the Dental clinic; Norma will have no problems releasing records under her name.

IsabelaPR

Isabela, if Jane Doe had a lot of dental work done, and Rose only had her teeth cleaned prior to leaving for Synanon, I have some doubts over Jane Doe being Rose. It's hard to see how Rose could have afforded much dental work by the time Jane Doe's body was found. Does that make sense?

Hi. I read the first page of this 2-dozen+++ pages long thread, and did not find a physical description for Rose Leanne Cole, and there was only one link to a photograph, where she looked about 3 years old.

There is really no way that I'd ever recognize a teenager from a toddler picture; did any photos of Rose ever arise?

IF there are any photographs around the time of her disappearance, may I suggest that posters go back and edit in links to them EARLY in the thread.

Also, was she listed on the Doe Network?

HeartofTexas said:
Isabela, if Jane Doe had a lot of dental work done, and Rose only had her teeth cleaned prior to leaving for Synanon, I have some doubts over Jane Doe being Rose. It's hard to see how Rose could have afforded much dental work by the time Jane Doe's body was found. Does that make sense?

I know, I totally agree with you. I still like her dental records to be on file if needed for future leads.

wondering22 said:
Is this the ONLY photograph of Rose L. Cole?

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/o/l/Yannette-Cole/PHOTO/0025photo.html

Is she listed on ANY of the missing persons data bases? If so, which ones?

Thank you.

She is not yet listed. I have completed requests forms with multiple Missing persons sites. The only one currently trying to help me is the National Center for Missing and exploited chlidren.

I only have three pictures of Rose. . .let me go back and figure out how to place pictures here. . .or go to
http://360.yahoo.com/profile-6INKmI0oeqhPu8rlW9Hr0_5vBruoTei_3SWmS0TuDruGwQ--?cq=1

wondering22 said:
Hi. I read the first page of this 2-dozen+++ pages long thread, and did not find a physical description for Rose Leanne Cole, and there was only one link to a photograph, where she looked about 3 years old.

There is really no way that I'd ever recognize a teenager from a toddler picture; did any photos of Rose ever arise?

IF there are any photographs around the time of her disappearance, may I suggest that posters go back and edit in links to them EARLY in the thread.

Also, was she listed on the Doe Network?
Wondering, you must have overlooked it. Post # 69 on page # 3 has a link to a picture of Rose. On page # 5 post #124 is the link for Rose's website http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-6INKmI0oeqhPu8rlW9Hr0_5vBruoTei_3SWmS0TuDruGwQ--?cq=1&p=6&n=28500
with the only 3 pictures that we have of her.

This is that last/most recent picture that we have:

I read the first page of this 2-dozen+++ pages long thread, and did not find a physical description for Rose Leanne Cole, and there was only one link to a photograph, where she looked about 3 years old.
Shadow, Wondering didn't overlook the other pix of Rose... Wondering only read the first page of the 26 pages here, as stated above.

I have no way to edit posts that have been up for over 24 hours.

JesseJ_RoseL_PosePCole.jpg
[/IMG]
Roseeyes.jpg
[/IMG]
RoseOlder.jpg
[/IMG]

In one of her letters she mentions how much she looked like her mother. She didn't like to look like her. . .

Thanks so much for all the photographs.

Rose is such a distinctive, attractive brunette - her eyes, particularly are simply so stunning, that her face is memorable.

Looking at her, and reading a small bit about her disappearance and particularly noticing the date it occurred, and then spending alot of time today at http://www.doenetwork.org --- it really made me seriously wonder just how many teenagers and young adults disappeared into the "hippy underground" of the 1960s/70s.

Does anyone by anychance know how much she weighed in 1972? And, particularly, what was her height?

ONE (last,lol) question (sorry).... what it is, is this, IF she started using heroin after her disappearance, would she probably have loss a massive amount of weight, so would have been skinny during her time as a user?

AND..... before I go..... do any of the Missing Organizations ever send posters to Narcotics.Anonymous? Or... do they really have to be strictly anonymous.

It simply seems that she probably had contact with that organization at some point during the ensuing years.

Thanks again for the photos.

HeartofTexas said:
Shadow, Wondering didn't overlook the other pix of Rose... Wondering only read the first page of the 26 pages here, as stated above.

I have no way to edit posts that have been up for over 24 hours.

Hi, HofTx, thanks for your assistance, and I'm sorry, I forgot about that 24-hour rule.

I hope that Rose's family will submit her case to all the Missing Persons' databases; I believe that she has such a distinctive 'look' about her, that with a little bit of coverage, she can be found.

Re: post #642, I tried to post pics of the Sunset Bay Bridge the other day but I got them from a news site that has 24 hour traffic cameras. I knew the cameras were live but I thought the pics were "still" when I copied and pasted them. I didn't know they would still run live on this thread!!!!!

Depending on the weather when you read the post, you can choose to dismiss the text that says it's a beautiful day. :D

I hope that Rose's family will submit her case to all the Missing Persons' databases; I believe that she has such a distinctive 'look' about her, that with a little bit of coverage, she can be found.
It's my understanding that because Rose disappeared in (1) California, (2) lived in Michigan prior to being sent to Synanon, and (3) her brother (Isabela's husband) now lives in a third state, that attempts to file a missing persons report have become complicated. Once we are certain that proper paperwork has been filed to produce a Missing Persons report, then individual missing person's organizations can be contacted. I believe Isabela is already in contact with several of the organizations.

Shadow205 said:
I had a conversation with Brenda (Roses sister by adoption) who is Opal's daughter last night via instant messenger. She gave me some information that I had never heard before. The letter that Rose wrote on her 16th birthday was NOT the last one that Opal received from Rose. Opal got a post card dated 01/18/73. It was a picture of the Sunset Bay Bridge. I am not sure exactly what Rose said on the post card. Opal received another letter later in 1973 but she is unsure of when. In that letter Rose told her that she was in China Town. She said that she was sick, had a kidney infection but was afraid to go to the Doctor. She was afraid of being caught and taken back to Synanon. She told Opal that she was not going to write anymore for fear of Synanon finding her. She said that she would find Opal no matter where she was once she turned 18.

In reference to what was posted earlier about the Jane Doe in CA being ruled out based on dental records, according to Opal, Rose never had any dental work. Opal says that the only thing that Rose ever had done was routine cleaning. However, she did say that her daughter Norma, had some dental work done on her front teeth at the dentist mention above. Is it possible that Norma and Roses dental work have been mixed up?

I hope that Opal can find the last letter that she got from Rose so we can have a date. I'll post as soon as I know.

I have invited Brenda to join WS's. I know that she was reading here last night.
Have you heard anymore or the more recent letters we didn't know about? I am dying to read those....to see where she was, what was going on, how her mood was...if she was feeling hopeless still or if things started looking up?

I LOVE the more recent picture of Rose, by the Christmas tree, I don't recall ever seeing that.

Concerning the last postcard sent by Rose: What is the Sunset Bay Bridge? There is a Bay Bridge running between Oakland and SF, but I have never heard it referred to by the name Sunset.

I ask not to be stickler to detail, but if there is a Sunset Bay Bridge somewhere else, that would be a clue as to where Rose might have gone after Oakland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123