Found Safe CA - Ryan Robichaud, 23, Westminster, 18 March 2016

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by los2188, Apr 12, 2016.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

Police, family search for missing Canadian man who may be homeless in O.C.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...n-homeless-westminster-oc-20160411-story.html

2. Loading...

3. KayElJay

KayElJay Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Bringing Ryan's thread to the top again because I fear it was "lost" due to all of the news that broke yesterday afternoon/evening. The article that los linked to above really is a must read!

Ryan's family must feel like they are in a nightmare right now and my heart is breaking for them. It sounds like Ryan should still be considered a critical missing person (his actions make it appear that he's suffering either a physical/medical crisis caused by the car accident or a mental health crisis). His sporadic sightings and contact he's had with his family can be described as bizarre, at best. Add to that the fact that his family is not only far away but from another country :( I can't even begin to imagine how they're coping.

4. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/ryan-robichaud-missing-1.3532226

5. michmi

michmi New Member

I hope she's going to have someone with her if she's going into homeless communities in the L.A. area.

6. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Well-Known Member

Okay WSERS we need to help this family!

Thoughts? ??

7. Wondergirl

Clearly someone needs to start a Facebook Group that people can share and spread the word.

Need a poster to spread the word too

8. Wondergirl

9. Wondergirl

10. MagnoliaMountain

MagnoliaMountain Red Rose

Subscribing. What a sad case. His mom must be worried sick.

11. ms_x_to_the_m

ms_x_to_the_m Active Member

Such a tough spot to be in. It appears he doesn't want to go home. Or at least go home alone. I hope she finds him and take him home to be treated.
    I do wonder how he crossed the border and with whom. Strange case

12. KJ's Mamu

KJ's Mamu Well-Known Member

Wondering if it could be schizophrenia?

https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Schizophrenia

Prayers for him....hoping his family can find him and bring him home....

13. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Sounds like traumatic head injury. Per my link above, Ryan was in a car accident at the beginning of the year, and his mom says he hasn't been the same since.

14. KayElJay

I think it's also a possibility that Ryan sustained some sort of traumatic brain injury that precipitated a psychological illness (either predisposed or not). I'm not sure exactly how this knowledge helps in regards to bringing Ryan home to his family, but feel it does help explain his behaviors and his mindset.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2327235/

15. KayElJay

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/mis...im-drift-around-ca-after-near-fatal-accident/

It sounds like he drove across the border initially. If I am interpreting this correctly, it's believed he dropped the rental car off in Boston and then boarded a train (presumably to California). If correct, then he should be using public transportation or hitching rides currently.

16. whimdriven

whimdriven Lead Redactress

In my heart I feel like he probably "wants" to come home and may feel that in a fleeting way but the schizophrenia or other dissociative episode probably leaves him confused more often than not. If you can't consistently connect with the feeling that you should go home, you certainly wouldn't be able to implement a plan on your own without putting yourself in a position of vulnerability (walking into an ER or a public health department - bringing yourself to someone's attention).

By any chance, does his family have record of his fingerprints? Either because he may have been arrested or detained in another jurisdiction OR they were taken when he was a child as part of a "protect-your-kids" activity?

17. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nia-feared-to-be-in-mental-health-crisis.html
    Ryan Robichaud
    ryan-robichaud-2.jpg

18. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/ryan-robichaud-missing-1.3532226
    ryan-robichaud.jpg

19. Wondergirl

Ryan's mother is heading to California this weekend and has had help from several people to help her get there, to give her somewhere to stay and 100 people are going on foot to look for him.

Anyone following this case must listen to this 7 minute audio interview with his mother from As it Happens. It provides many, many details. It is heart breaking.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/robichaud-headed-to-california-1.3537749

20. Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin New Member

I wish Ryan's mother the very best in her trip to CA. My heart breaks for her, and Ryan. Westminster is such a strange place for him to end up. I've only ever been there for Samy's Camera, but from personal experience, Westminster businesses and signage cater heavily to the Vietnamese population who have settled there.

Ryan would stand out. In SoCal we have a huge - and distressing, for mental health support is non-existent - variety of ethnic identities. If he really was last seen in Westminster, I would advise his mom to hire a Viet or Hmong PI. If it's only his card that was used...I would recommend the same.

I hope I am understood - mental health support in CA is non-existent. For all ethnicities, legal status, color or gender. That is a grave injustice. I would vote for anone who recognized 90% of CA's homeless "problem" would disappear if we had a serious, serious, program to help all our mentally ill to whatever they need. Including institutionalizing. I know. MOO.

21. Wondergirl

Ryan's mom indicates in the audio interview I linked, that he DID use his credit card and she's put money on it so he can use it again. The credit card info is a bit confusing with respect to others using it.