CA CA - Sacramento, Wht/Hsp Male, 20-30, found shot in stadium, Jan '80

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Bobby88, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Bobby88

Bobby88 Whatever happened to Johnnie Herrera?

2847UMCA

I find this case intriguing for multiple reasons. Unlike most murder cases where a victim is found hours, days, weeks, etc. after they've been killed, this man had only been dead for a matter of minutes when he was discovered. His face and body would have been unusually "fresh" (so to speak) and easy to identify, yet no one has. He was well-dressed with recent dental work and was most certainly not a transient. I do find it odd though that no actual post-mortem pics were released considering how recently he died. The sketches aren't bad, but they kind of look like he should be a character in a cheesy 70s cartoon show or comic strip.

Burger King employees stated that he mentioned that he had recently arrived from LA. I wonder in what context he said this. Was it just basic small talk to the cashier while he waited for his order? Or was he conversing with another patron and the employees just happened to overhear him? Did he say anything else that may have been a clue? Fast food restaurants, particularly those in places like bus stations and airports, are usually pretty busy, so there must have been something that made this particular man stand out in the minds of the employees who see hundreds of customers come and go daily. If the Burger King cup was found near his body, he probably was just there before he died. Perhaps that's why they remember him so well.

His body was found in an empty stadium at around 9pm. What was he (and his killer, for that matter) doing there? That doesn't sound like a place you go to at that hour without a specific reason, and you almost certainly wouldn't just accidentally get lost and wander in even if you're new to the area. Could he have been involved in a drug deal gone wrong? I just can't really think of any other reason why this man would have been essentially trespassing in the sports arena after dark.

What I find particularly curious is the anonymous phone call to police. Since his death occurred so shortly before police arrived, I think it's very possible that the caller either witnessed the murder or was even the killer himself/herself. When they say "minutes prior" for his time of death, I take it they mean less than an hour or else they would have just said "x hours prior". In an empty stadium at that time of night, who else would have entered in such a narrow window of time to discover the victim?

Sadly, with this case being close to 40 years old, I have a feeling that the answers to at least some of these questions have been lost to time.

2. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Reconstructions of the victim.

Date of Discovery: January 17, 1980
    Location of Discovery: Sacramento, Sacramento County, California
    Estimated Date of Death: Minutes prior
    State of Remains: Recognizable face
    Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot to the head

Physical Description
    Estimated Age: 18-25 years old
    Race: White and/or Hispanic
    Height: 5'7" to 5'9"
    Weight: 147 lbs.
    Hair Color: Brown. Brown mustache and reddish-brown goatee.
    Eye Color: Brown
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Three scars on lower right abdomen, distinctive scar on left hand fingers, large freckles on the shoulders and upper back. Appendix absent. Stretch marks on stomach, indicating he may have previously been obese and had recently lost weight. Probable smoker.

I noticed it said the man had stretchmarks like he had recently lost weight. I wonder if he was reported missing they were looking for a heavier person?

annemc2, Triss, whatsnext and 2 others like this.
  3. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

Identifiers
    Dentals: Available. He had a partial denture plate on his front upper incisors and his upper four front teeth were false. Some dental work appeared to be recent, possibly being completed a week before he died.
    Fingerprints: Available.
    DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: Down-filled, dirty blue quilted LeCheveron Collection jacket; dark blue Sigallo pullover sweater with a gray collar; blue "Levis" white, JC-Penney t-shirt; blue Levi's, white shorts; white socks; blue Adidas jogging shoes with a gold stripe, light blue denim cap with a short bill.
    Jewelry: None.
    Additional Personal Items: Salemcigarettes, white Bic lighter. A pair of glasses and a cup from a Burger King restaurant was found near the body.

4. AliceInPain

AliceInPain Well-Known Member

sbm.

Heavier, and with bad/ missing teeth, since some dental work appeared recent too?
    Freckles on the back, maybe from sun tanning?
    Sounds like he was well-cared for most of his life, maybe recently started a regime to improve himself?
    All I can think of from empty stadium and gunshot is drugs.

Also, after some googling I think LeCheveron Collection should be "Le Chevron Collection."

5. AliceInPain

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  6. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

Oh wow he does look like him!

7. Triss

Triss Well-Known Member

It definitely sounds like he met up with someone and the meeting went terribly bad.

Marika Fonteno and AliceInPain like this.
  8. AliceInPain

Here's stadium guys rule-out list, David's not on it.

Attached Files:

Marika Fonteno, annemc2 and madamx like this.
  9. AliceInPain

"...letters "HS" scrawled inside each shoe" according to his Namus,

and location he was found, seems more like a field than a stadium (O'Neil Park I assume)

Google Maps

Marika Fonteno, annemc2 and madamx like this.
  10. Bobby88

I had forgotten about the stretch marks. That's a very good point. Some people who lose a lot of weight can end up looking totally different, particularly in the face. Perhaps if we're looking into missing persons matches within a few years of John Doe's murder, we should look at people who are noticeably heavier than 147lbs.

The clothing he was wearing wasn't cheap. Hell, even his plain white T-shirt came from JCPenney! He appeared to be very color-coordinated and meticulous, in addition to being very well-groomed. Like I said, this man certainly wasn't a vagrant. I tried to find pictures of what some of his clothing may have looked like (since I'm always interested in vintage clothing from this era anyway), but could only find the Adidas shoes. His shoes probably looked similar to these. They could easily be in style now.

[​IMG]

If he was in fact from LA, I wonder what brought him to Sacramento. If he was visiting someone, they would surely have noticed when he never came home, unless they never even knew he was coming and he hadn't yet arrived at their house. I still think that the anonymous caller is involved in some way and that John Doe was planning to meet someone at the field who ended up killing him.

11. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

I had not noticed the HS inside his sneakers..I am assuming his initials and yes Bobby88 I think the person that called had something to do with his murder.

I found his flyer

[​IMG]

12. Bobby88

I never noticed the H.S. either. I tried looking up missing men with those initial, but all went missing well after 1980.

I think they would have mentioned if he had any money on him. Could he have been robbed? Shooting someone in the head seems extreme for that.

I have a feeling that this man may never have been reported missing. Perhaps he was estranged from his family and had no real close ties. The apparent weight loss and dental work make me wonder if he was trying to kind of reinvent himself and start a new life. I wonder if he was legitimately trying to improve himself (i.e., he was the fat kid growing up and now as a young adult transformed himself into a slim, confident stud decked out in expensive threads) or if he was trying to disguise himself in order to evade someone who ended up finding and killing him anyway. I really wish they'd release post mortem photos. Like I said, these sketches are kind of like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

13. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

I came across this guy and his stats seem to fit, mentions he has lots of moles on his back.. (which others could call freckles I guess?)..In Namus there are photos of what appears to be molds for dentures along with his photos.
    It says He had Levi jeans and maroon sneakers with gold stripes..

Now the thing is he is missing July 11 1980... could that have been a typo and maybe its supposed to be January 1980.. I am saying that because in one of the photos it says ''Flyer shows Amedeo's appearance in 1987."... If he went missing in 1980 then how can the flyer and photo have what he looks like in 1987? So with that in mind I just wanted to add this guy to the thread.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP7147 Amadeo Vigil, Male, Multiple
    Date of Last Contact July 11, 1980
    Missing From Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Missing Age 24 Years

Sex Male
    Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian, Hispanic / Latino
    Height 5' 6" - 5' 7" (66 - 67 Inches)
    Weight 130 - 135 lbs

Circumstances
    Date of Last ContactJuly 11, 1980
    NamUs Case CreatedMay 14, 2010
    Last Known Location Map
    Location Colorado Springs, Colorado
    CountyEl Paso County
    Circumstances of Disappearance Missing in July 1980 while hitchhiking to meet a friend in Ft. Garland CO , 136 miles away.

Physical Description
    Hair Color Brown
    Head Hair Description Wavy & curly
    Body Hair Description --
    Facial Hair Description Full beard at the time of his disappearance.
    Left Eye Color Brown
    Right Eye Color Brown

Distinctive Physical Features
    Item
    Description
    Scar/mark
    Small burn on right Arm Has lots of tiny brown moles on his back`

lothing and Accessories
    Item
    Description
    Accessories
    He was carrying a green back pack with a leather bottom. He carried a rust colored nylon wallet manufactured by the Rainbow Co. His wallet may have contained a ticket from a Colorado Springs pawn shop.

Clothing
    off white shirt and jeans

Footwear
    maroon tennis shoes with gold stipes

Jewelry
    A distinctive silver colored medallion with a face on it. An African trade bead on a leather thong, he also wore this around his neck with the above medallion. Photos of the above can be seen under documents on a Amedeo Vigil Flyer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Missing Person Case

The Lost & The Found

Amadeo Vigil – The Charley Project
    [​IMG]
    • Missing Since 07/11/1980
    • Missing From Colorado Springs, Colorado
    • Classification Endangered Missing
    • Date of Birth 10/11/1955 (63)
    • Age 24 years old
    • Height and Weight 5'6 - 5'7, 130 pounds
    • Clothing/Jewelry Description An off-white shirt, Levi's jeans, maroon sneakers with gold stripes, a silver neck chain with a quarter-sized round happy face medallion, and a leather necklace with African beads.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic male. Brown hair, brown/green eyes. Vigil has a faded scar on his forehead, a small burn scar on his right arm and numerous small brown moles on his back. He had a full beard at the time of his disappearance.

AliceInPain and Bobby88 like this.
  14. Bobby88

Wow! The date gives me pause, but nearly everything else about Amadeo seems to match our John Doe. From the dental impressions, it's obvious that his teeth with in very poor condition. The one thing that makes me want to rule him out is that it makes no mention of him having false teeth. I know sometimes in missing persons cases, the family and authorities will hold back on mentioning certain distinguishing marks to weed out legit leads from false ones, but things like false teeth are usually not among them.

I definitely think from what I can see in the sketches that he is Hispanic rather than white.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  15. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

Yes Bobby88 I thought it was odd they included the mold of his teeth. But why would he have molds if his teeth made if he was not getting replacement teeth? I can't think of any other reason. But they don't mention anything about his teeth. It's odd.

And yes To me (a Hispanic woman)that sketch totally looks like a lighter skinned Hispanic man to me.

16. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

Still haven't given up looking for a heavier guy w bad teeth just in case that is what he looked like before (that is assuming he was reported missing before his makeover)

17. Bobby88

Someone else on a different forum where I have a thread on this case noticed something in the Namus page that I totally missed. His jacket in the Doe Network description is listed as "dirty blue". I assumed that they were referring to a grayish or smoky blue color which is occasionally called a dirty blue (similar to describing a hair color as "dirty blonde"). But on Namus, they specify that the coat was in "very dirty condition". The user who pointed this out indicated that he may have been very newly homeless. I guess it's possible, but they make no mention of his other clothing being old or soiled, which leads me to believe that they fairly new well-kept. And the dental work is really what keeps me from believing that this man was destitute. The jacket could have been one of those worn-out but extremely comfortable pieces of clothing that he just couldn't bear to get rid of no matter how shabby it was. We've all had at least one such article.

If it was Amadeo who was apparently hitchhiking from one part of Colorado to another to see a friend, how and why would he have ended up in California? The two states aren't exactly close, particularly if you're hitchhiking the whole way. And why would he have told people that he was from LA?

Yes, I think he definitely Hispanic. When I first saw him, I could kinda see him as possibly Italian or Jewish. But the more I look at him, the more money I put on him being a light-skinned Latino. I actually think he kind of looks like Johnnie Herrera who went missing from Oxnard in 1971 (he's my avatar and he did have facial hair around the time he was last seen), but the time gap makes it highly unlikely. One of the problems with the sketches is his facial expression. I have a feeling that that was his permanent death grimace from when police arrived; it's not a "normal" expression. In life, without his blank stare and mouth hanging open, he may have looked totally different. I'm just surprised they didn't sketch him with his mouth closed.

Marika Fonteno, whatsnext and madamx like this.
  18. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

Good call on the jacket. If it happened to be truly dirty could it be that this guy had been in a drug program or some institution where he needed to put his initials in his sneakers?oh and Bobby88 your avatar reminds me of Wilmer Valderrama!

Bobby88 likes this.
  19. Bobby88

LOL I showed Johnnie's picture to someone else once and the first thing they said was "Oh, he's handsome! He looks like the foreign kid from That 70s Show!":D Johnnie was actually an identical twin; his brother's name is Joe.

The rehab theory makes sense. Perhaps he fell back into his old habits and went to the park for a drug transaction and the dealer killed him. Or he was actually trying to stay clean but still owed someone money that he couldn't pay back. I think a big key to this mystery is finding out why he was in the park at that hour.

20. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

someone just made a post for this guy.. I just thought I would include because of the timeframe and Sacramento... even though the UID said he was from LA does not mean he really was from LA... The photo they have here looks sort of very young so I don't think it what he looked like when he went missing...but I could be wrong... anyway..
    CA - CA - David Rico, 30, Sacramento, 1 Jan 1980

Marika Fonteno likes this.