CA CA - San Diego, UnkMale UP#63959, 15-20, burned in dumpster, Sept'81

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Fuuro, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Fuuro

Fuuro spicy user

I agree that the condition of the remains makes it very hard to take any of the information given at face value. Like you've said, we don't know the extent to which the body had been altered as a result of the burning. I don't know how accurate those reconstructions are. If I'm being totally honest, I'm not even totally convinced that the listed hair and eye color are accurate (in addition to height/weight), but they are really all we have when it comes to narrowing down matches.

PayrollNerd and bombardier like this.

2. Fuuro

Fuuro spicy user

I wonder which forensic artist at NCMEC did the reconstructions of the UID. Those reconstructions look like they were done by looking at an actual postmortem photo taken at autopsy. Usually, when the face of an UID has been decomposed or damaged to the point where their features are difficult to discern, the only way to reconstruct them is via creating a clay bust using their skull or creating a drawn reconstruction using a photo or 3-D scan of the skull as a base. I've thought about getting in touch with the artist and asking them about how the UID looked upon discovery so we all can have a better idea of the state of his remains. If I were to reach out, I doubt that I would get a reply, though, since I am just a layperson.

Also, this is somewhat off-topic, but I have to say the people responsible for the most recent NCMEC reconstructions are excellent artists, and I hope that they're being paid well. They've also been cranking out reconstructions for UIDs whose cases date back 40+ years (like thread topic UID), which is commendable and brings those cases back into the public eye (or as close to the public eye as they'll get). As sad as it sounds, I doubt that many people, including myself, would have known of this UID's existence had he not been reconstructed and added to NamUS earlier this year.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020