CA CA - Sandra Hughes, 53, Sierra National Forest/Madera Co, 26 Jun 2020

It's been quite a long time. She just vanished -- and "vanished" can have a lot of different definitions here under these circumstances.
I have wondered if I just missed a new thread, but it seems I haven't...
Waiting for news, as we all are, knowing the odds, good news is doubtful. Still hoping she is okay and safe.

Thanks for the update, @mlhenn.

I get so frustrated when after a while, there’s only silence from LE and even family sometimes. I’m guessing they prob start investigating it as foul play and information stops being generated as much. But to some it feels like they forgot and no one should be forgotten.
She's not forgotten. What do you expect her family to do, publically display their loss? Updates are the sherrifs responsibility

She's not forgotten. What do you expect her family to do, publically display their loss? Updates are the sherrifs responsibility

Well, I'm sure the family could update too, if they wanted to? LE don't always take responsibility seriously and things and people can fade.....

Many times when news articles have a lot of misspellings (the child's name for example), inaccuracies, and in this case, the peculiarity of the story, I take it with a grain of salt but it was an interesting read nonetheless. Perhaps these people knew the story of this MP and possibly concocted this for attention, but if there is any shred of truth to this family's story then this is pretty freaky.

Sheriff investigates ghost-like sighting in Madera County Mountains

A family in Coarsegold experienced a strange ghost-like sighting in the Madera County Mountains on Wednesday, prompting the Madera County Sheriff's office to investigate further.

Jake Gorba, his wife Victoria, and their three kids decided to take their four-wheeler up to Shuteye Peak on Wednesday. The family stopped to eat lunch and that’s when the couple's three-year-old Kaiden began talking to someone.

"He was just in our car and he was pointing out to a certain spot in the meadow," said Victoria.

Kadyn told his parents there was a woman lying face down with her legs straight up in the air in a nearby meadow. According to Kaiden, the woman was unable to speak or move and needed help.

"He flat out told us, 'mom she’s dead, she needs our help' and that’s when I got the goosebumps and I was like, oh my gosh," Victoria.

This all happened when the Gorba family stopped for lunch.

"He goes 'yeah there’s a lady over in the meadow in a black shirt' and I got goosebumps," said Victoria, "He says 'she needs our help but she’s dead and she’s laying face down with her legs up and she can’t talk to me but she’s over there we need to go help her.'”

Jake and Victoria checked out the meadow but saw nothing.

"He kept saying 'trust me, trust me mom' and I was like I trust you but you know I believe you 100%," said Victoria.

The family was so spooked by what the three-year-old had so adamantly shared, that they decided to end their day early and head home. Then, they posted about the strange occurrence on Facebook.

"We put it on Facebook to see if anybody knew anything about the area and come to find out that there was a lady messing with the description that he described to us within a 5-mile radius of where we were," said Victoria.

Sandra Hughes had gone missing in that area in July of 2020. According to Victoria, her three-year-old's detailed description of the woman's hair and clothing was identical to the description of Hughes.

"He was very adamant that we needed to help her and he described her down to blue hair, he said 'she has a black shirt bluejeans and blue hair mom' that’s the exact description of her when she went missing," said Victoria.

Victoria says Kaiden was also able to identify the woman he'd seen in 3 out of 4 photos of Hughes.

Madera County Sheriff Corporal Chris Williams saw the Facebook post and contacted the family to further investigate.

"The corporal in charge of her case actually reached out to us on Facebook and was like 'hey we want more information and we want to bring you guys up there and see if you could point us in the direction.'”

Corporal Williams has been investigating the disappearance of Sandra Hughes since the beginning of the investigation.

On Thursday, two Madera County Sheriff's Deputies traveled back up to the meadow with Jake and his son to investigate. The deputies found no new evidence and the case remains open.

“If she was possibly a ghost looking for some help, I hope that he could’ve at least helped and maybe help the family find her because it’s been a long time apparently since she’s been gone," said Victoria.

The four-wheeler that the family was traveling in when this whole spooky experience took place is now referred to as the “ghost runner" and is for sale.

The family says they will continue visiting different trails up in the mountains but there are definitely some spots they won’t stop at anymore.

The Madera County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that they did receive a report of a possible sighting and they went out to the location for any leads but no new evidence was found.

As of right now, the case remains open with no new leads.

If you have any information about the disappearance of Sandra Hughes, you can contact the Madera County Sheriff's Office.

Last edited:
Many times when news articles have a lot of misspellings (the child's name for example), inaccuracies, and in this case, the peculiarity of the story, I take it with a grain of salt but it was an interesting read nonetheless. Perhaps these people knew the story of this MP and possibly concocted this for attention, but if there is any shred of truth to this family's story then this is pretty freaky.

A family in Coarsegold experienced a strange ghost-like sighting in the Madera County Mountains on Wednesday, prompting the Madera County Sheriff's office to investigate further.

Jake Gorba, his wife Victoria, and their three kids decided to take their four-wheeler up to Shuteye Peak on Wednesday. The family stopped to eat lunch and that’s when the couple's three-year-old Kaiden began talking to someone.

"He was just in our car and he was pointing out to a certain spot in the meadow," said Victoria.

Kadyn told his parents there was a woman lying face down with her legs straight up in the air in a nearby meadow. According to Kaiden, the woman was unable to speak or move and needed help.

"He flat out told us, 'mom she’s dead, she needs our help' and that’s when I got the goosebumps and I was like, oh my gosh," Victoria.

"He goes 'yeah there’s a lady over in the meadow in a black shirt' and I got goosebumps," said Victoria, "He says 'she needs our help but she’s dead and she’s laying face down with her legs up and she can’t talk to me but she’s over there we need to go help her.'”

"He kept saying 'trust me, trust me mom' and I was like I trust you but you know I believe you 100%," said Victoria.

The family was so spooked by what the three-year-old had so adamantly shared, that they decided to end their day early and head home. Then, they posted about the strange occurrence on Facebook.

"We put it on Facebook to see if anybody knew anything about the area and come to find out that there was a lady messing with the description that he described to us within a 5-mile radius of where we were," said Victoria.

Sandra Hughes had gone missing in that area in July of 2020. According to Victoria, her three-year-old's detailed description of the woman's hair and clothing was identical to the description of Hughes.

"He was very adamant that we needed to help her and he described her down to blue hair, he said 'she has a black shirt bluejeans and blue hair mom' that’s the exact description of her when she went missing," said Victoria.

Victoria says Kaiden was also able to identify the woman he'd seen in 3 out of 4 photos of Hughes.

Madera County Sheriff Corporal Chris Williams saw the Facebook post and contacted the family to further investigate.

"The corporal in charge of her case actually reached out to us on Facebook and was like 'hey we want more information and we want to bring you guys up there and see if you could point us in the direction.'”

Corporal Williams has been investigating the disappearance of Sandra Hughes since the beginning of the investigation.

On Thursday, two Madera County Sheriff's Deputies traveled back up to the meadow with Jake and his son to investigate. The deputies found no new evidence and the case remains open.

“If she was possibly a ghost looking for some help, I hope that he could’ve at least helped and maybe help the family find her because it’s been a long time apparently since she’s been gone," said Victoria.

The four-wheeler that the family was traveling in when this whole spooky experience took place is now referred to as the “ghost runner" and is for sale.

The family says they will continue visiting different trails up in the mountains but there are definitely some spots they won’t stop at anymore.

The Madera County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that they did receive a report of a possible sighting and they went out to the location for any leads but no new evidence was found.

If you have any information about the disappearance of Sandra Hughes, you can contact the Madera County Sheriff's Office.

Well, oh my, THAT certainly makes my hair stand on end! How eerie.

Well, oh my, THAT certainly makes my hair stand on end! How eerie.

Right? The "face down with legs straight up in the air" freaks me out.

Maybe she fell and landed face down and when she landed, her legs were broken and bent and got propped up above her backside against some rocks?

Last edited:
Hi, first time on Websleuths because something is really bothering me since beginning of tread.
According to statement, she was seen barefoot by hikers following car accident.
No mention of backpac with her.
Can she really be hicking barefoot since July 4, 2020? More than a year?
Can she survive winter barefoot?
Can she survive with any warmer clothes?
I'm reading the tread again and again and I don't see discussion about that known fact.

Thanks and have a good day :)

Last edited:

So bizarre! I can't remember another story quite like that on Websleuths from a child who could not possibly have known about the missing person!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back