CA Schools Curriculum: Inclusive of Historical Accomplishments of Gay Men & Lesbians

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Emma Peel, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emma Peel

Emma Peel Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & bew

http://www.turnto23.com/news/28481175/detail.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/16/us/16schools.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educat...-nation-in-teaching-of-gay-history-in-schools

2. Loading...

3. Nova

Nova Active Member

My first reaction is mixed. I'm not sure I'm crazy about historical topics being mandated by the state.

On the other hand, I taught at a California university for a number of years and I used to assign Emily Mann's Execution of Justice, a play about the trial of Dan White, who assassinated Harvey Milk and George Mosconi. It made sense because it's an excellent work and about half my students were from the Bay Area. I don't believe I ever had a single San Francisco student who even knew there had ever been a murder of the city's mayor and a city council member. That's just wrong.

4. Emma Peel

I'd like more information about the curriculum proposed myself - but I'm not finding it.

From what I'm reading, the pressure is coming from advocacy that teaching civil rights should include gay civil rights & examples thereof.

Also, the idea the social studies & history curriculum should not exclude examples of positive role models from LGBT history.

5. Emma Peel

http://www.lambda.org/famous.htm
    See link for list of approx 100 names you'd recognize from your old history books.

6. Emma Peel

gay rights history info - see link for full history.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/gendersexuality/tp/History-Gay-Rights-Movement.htm

7. Nova

Nova Active Member

I think every California student should by the time of h.s. graduation know who Harvey Milk was and why he was important (not just that he was murdered).

Unfortunately, the politics of those days were complicated and Milk wasn't killed just because he was gay. The bigger issue before the SF council had to do with zoning and the "increasing Manhattanization" of the peninsula.

White was backed by pro-construction interests. So was Dianne Feinstein, our current senator, who was also on the council at the time. This is NOT to suggest that she approved or participated in the assassinations in any way. But her current importance may complicate efforts to dictate how that history is taught.

8. Emma Peel

Breaking news:

Governor Jerry Brown of California has signed the bill into law today.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educat...st-state-to-mandate-gay-history-in-curriculum

9. Nova

Nova Active Member

I'm still curious as to what they are going to teach. Identifying who was "gay" before the word became common in the 20th century is very tricky. I think it will be tough to explain how Socrates and RuPaul have anything in common.

But what the hell? It's for high school students. How is it going to hurt them to talk about it?

10. CuriousHousewife

CuriousHousewife New Member

I personally think it's great. I have a gay teen and I would give anything for her to see things like this in black and white and for everyone else to at least have to learn about the accomplishments of <gasp> EVEN gay people!!!

Of course, we don't live in CA anymore, which makes her life even more difficult because we're in the Bible belt, but still...

11. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

When this story first came out it said this would start in K-5.
    Have they changed that?

They even discussed a children's book they were going to use.

I don't have the links handy but they are in the thread for this topic in the political pavilion.

12. Quiche

Quiche New Member

Imo, this just undoes previous mandates. I think we should be able to discuss people truthfully in educational settings, not to is absurd. :waitasec:

I think this is a great thing, but I've heard moans and groans about the cost of updating textbooks during this economic downturn. So, unfortunately, it may be a burden to get going. jmo

13. Emma Peel

IIRC, "they" did not discuss a children's book they were going to use.

The curriculum is yet to be determined.

One school district, (Alameda) prior to the bill being passed, had adopted a tolerance curriculum using the book Tango, which - in Alameda has since been replaced by another book.

I finally found the curriculum website link for Alameda School district.

This isn't necessarily the curriculum for all districts in CA. Alameda, however, adapted the curriculum 2 years prior to the bill being signed into law.

http://www.alamedacare.org/ausd-lesson--9.html

14. Nova

Nova Active Member

Sorry, K, it took me awhile to find a site that answered your question:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/california-gay-history-law-jerry-brown_n_898745.html

The bill gives school districts great latitude in implementing the law and does not specify at what grade level references to gay history must begin.

I think school districts will do whatever is age appropriate.

We have kids committing suicide at 12 or 13 because they are bullied for being gay or for being perceived as gay. Nothing in this bill requires the teaching of graphic sexual details. I'll defer to the experts on childhood development, but I see no reason why students shouldn't be made aware of gay historical figures in late grade school.

My grandchildren (ages 5 through 11) know they have two gay grandparents who are married. To them, it just means we love each other and live together like their parents do.

15. Nova

Nova Active Member

According to the site I found for Kimberly, school districts are allowed to defer adding gay history until the next time they purchase new textbooks, so there should be much, if any, additional expense.

16. Nova

Nova Active Member

Thank you for finding that. It's really about teaching a lot more than about gay people; it's very much about teaching empathy and diversity, and at least provoking kids to think about how they treat one another.

As for my question above about deciding which famous gay people to teach, the Alameda lesson plan is very conservative. It only includes contemporary figures who have announced their LGBT identity, and Walt Whitman and James Baldwin, writers whose work leaves no doubt.

17. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

Following the logic that claims bulling would be reduced by teaching gay history, perhaps we should begin with historical figures who were obese, or just overweight, the uncoordinated, nerds, and those who were ugly. It's a false claim IMO.

"What the bill calls for is for the contributions of LGBT people to be included," Leno said, adding, "We wrote it broadly for a reason. We would be subject to more criticism than we've already been getting if we were more dictatorial."

Leno said the mandates apply broadly, though, telling reporters it would affect kindergarten through high school curriculum, "and, of course, in an age-appropriate way."

Kindergarten? Really?

18. Charlie09

Charlie09 Former Member

I'm curious why another thread was started when there's an active thread in the Political Pavilion?

19. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

Yes, really.
    It's crazy.

And parents have no control.

20. miimaa

miimaa New Member

I think it is disgusting NOT because of homosexuality but because sexual preference should not come into school at all! These are school children! LGBT is not the same as Jewish, Native American, women's rights, early settlers, etc. Some of those people may have been gay, some may have liked being spanked - and I don't care but I don't want my grandkid studying sexuality in grade school.

21. miimaa

miimaa New Member

What next? History of famous left handed people and their accomplishments?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.