CA - Serial “dine and dash dater” pleads not guilty, Los Angeles County, 27 Aug 2018

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by cybervampira, Aug 28, 2018.

1. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

Serial dine-and-dasher left women with the bill — and faces 10 felonies, Los Angeles DA says

45-year-old Paul Guadalupe Gonzales used dating apps to meet women, took them to dinner at restaurants and then left without paying any part of the bill.
    upload_2018-8-28_21-15-1.png
    In a separate and unrelated incident, the defendant also allegedly received services from a hair salon and left without paying.

Officials say Gonzalez was a serial “dine and dash dater” notorious for taking women on dates, then disappearing and leaving them dangling with an expensive bill, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.

Deputy District Attorney Michael Fern says eight women ended up paying the bills themselves and in two cases restaurants picked up the check. The complaint says the women were defrauded of a total of $950.

Gonzales pleaded not guilty to a dozen counts at his arraignment Monday.

‘Dine-and-Dash Dater’ Charged with Extortion, Grand Theft | Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office

Women say they were victims of 'dine-and-dash' by someone they met online

Man Accused of Serial Dining-and-Dashing, Leaving Women He Met Online To Foot Bill, Faces 10 Felony Counts: L.A. County Prosecutors

2. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

What a Creep!
    So this is how, his meals/haircuts are paid for.
    What else will be found, with his thieving: probably a stash of stolen goods:(:(

3. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

Wow, I've been on a few lousy dates, but nothing like that. What an idiot! Throw the book at him! Feel free to slap him a few time with it first.

4. KeepThemOnTheRadar

KeepThemOnTheRadar Member

Legit question: if the dine and (not so) dash(ing) date happened to be female would everyone be so worked up?
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. If the dinner tab is all he exposed these ladies to they’re doing a hell of a lot better than I have on my most recent “dates.” Boring, self centered chatter, questions like, “sooo...are we hooking up or not? Cause Game of Thrones starts in 45 minutes...” as if he needed 45 minutes. I can think of four “dates” off the top of my head that we’re likely scammers. “Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention I’m in a bad place financially so I can’t pay for the movie.” And the worst: “shh. Sh. I remember that time you came into _____[insert grocery store name] when I still worked there. You were with _______ and you were wearing _____.” He mentioned a high school boyfriend ( I graduated from hs 1991.) and a specific outfit I actually remember. He stole my car that night and drove around with me in the trunk. Getting stuck with the dinner tab? Yes, please. If that’s all I’m stuck with. Better than a lifetime of regret, trauma and antibiotics.

5. ilovematt

ilovematt Well-Known Member

Whoa. The 1991 reference might have made me scream stranger danger in the restaurant. I went on an actually quite charming date with a guy I met on POF. He got pulled over driving me back to “my car” which most likely would have been me hanging and banging, but he got arrested for forgery and identity theft. Dodged that bullet. I agree, if this is criminal then I have so many lady friends who are on the lam from justice.

turanna25 and EuTuCroquet? like this.
  6. 8countlife

8countlife Well-Known Member

I think The ‘serial’ part is inexcusable. Male or female.

Indy Anna, turanna25 and whatsnext like this.
  7. AlwaysShocked

AlwaysShocked Well-Known Member

I never went on an internet date. But my best friend did, way back when the internet dating scene was first starting.

Her report on the pre-arranged dinner date was that she meet him at the appointed bar/restaurant, that about the second or third thing out of his mouth was that he didn't have enough "resources" to pay for dinner for the two of them so he hoped it was to be a "Dutch treat" dinner. She said she was hungry so she agreed. Then at dinner the guy - who supposedly was separated from his wife - looked across the table at her and said "You know, you remind me of my mother-in-law". And that was the end of the date. She said she got up and left.

Later she found out that the guy was very much married and living with his wife and kids.

So much for internet dating. But, I will say that another friend met a great guy that way and they have now been living together for around 5 years. (She does not want to get remarried.)

8. MaryG12

MaryG12 Well-Known Member

RSFF

Of course. It's dishonest regardless of gender.

And while I've never been on an Internet date (thankfully) I know plenty of people who were, without running any sort of background check beforehand. it really is sad how many cheaters/misrepresenters/"desperate for companionship" there are out there of both genders. I realize it's too easy to dismiss as a sign of having zero self esteem, but at the same time I have to wonder if relationships might go better if certain members of both genders no longer practiced trying to impress the other gender.

9. Woodland

Woodland Well-Known Member

The latest for 'dine and dash' guy -

Prosecutors in Los Angeles have hit the defendant they call the "Dine-and-Dash Dater" with four new felony counts of extortion.
    "You just have to be careful out there," Meredith said. "You can't judge a book by its cover."

If convicted, Gonzales faces a possible maximum penalty of 16 years and 10 months in county prison, according to authorities.

California man who allegedly stuck dates with the check faces years in prison - CNN

10. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Well-Known Member

Dine-and-dash dater facing extortion charges in California court

[...]

Gonzales kept telling her to order whatever she wanted and that it was on him. Barba said he himself ordered a meal of steak, salad and wine.

However, shortly before dessert, he suddenly said he had to take a call and he disappeared from the restaurant, forcing her to pay the hefty £92 ($120) bill. Barba, who is a single mother, told the court that she was embarrassed and humiliated and didn’t want to say anything to the waiter. She then used part of her rent money to pay for the food.

This man wasn't just looking for a free meal from these women, he was downright cruel. He even told the one woman to "order whatever she wanted." The only positive note is that none of the women ended up in a long-term relationship with him. He would've been emotionally abusive and controlling.

whatsnext, Woodland and cybervampira like this.
  11. Woodland

Woodland Well-Known Member

I agree Indy Anna - this guy wanted to be cruel. Imo, that is why his charges were upgraded to extortion - to maximize the penalty. I doubt he will get off easy as a deterrent to others.

tmar, Indy Anna and whatsnext like this.
  12. EuTuCroquet?

EuTuCroquet? “What's happening to my special purpose!?”

Alleged Dine-And-Dash Dater Pleads Not Guilty To Remaining Misdemeanors

The so-called “Dine-and-Dash Dater,” who stands accused of walking out on checks while on dates with various women at Southland restaurants, pleaded not guilty Monday to misdemeanor counts of petty theft and defrauding a restaurant owner.

Gonzales was ordered Monday to return to court for a pretrial hearing Oct. 25.

whatsnext, tmar, Woodland and 2 others like this.
  13. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

Wonder what rubbish he'll present, to defend himself.

Indy Anna and whatsnext like this.