Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't branded mean burned and not tattooed.
Yes, branding is burning.

i guess it also has colloquial meaning, as in 'marked', but I assumed they meant the more precise definition.

I interpret it as marked in any kind of purposeful way, but I guess it's subjective.

Agree. The public would go crazy if you simply said she had a tattoo.

So if she was tortured; Then I think she was branded with a hot rod like cattle. Idk

Doesn't branded mean burned and not tattooed.

In trafficking, they call tattoos branding which is why I'm leaning towards trafficking as the motive. I think Keith and Sherri might have been implying that with the statement today.

The details of those injuries have not been disclosed by LE and they may not be.

That's true. But they have verified what Keith wrote about Sherri's injuries in his letter to GMA.

That's why I bumped Tlcya's post from earlier today.

Where did the Sheriff state her injuries were minor? All he said was they were non life threatening, and he possibly misspoke with a "sprained" vs a "broken ankle". That is not the same as LE indicating her injuries were minor.

Maybe he was down-playing the broken (bridge) of nose but used the ankle scenario.

<modsnip>

Idk

Because I'm somewhat familiar with Woodland and Vacaville (both my brother and a nephew have lived in both), my head went to Vaca first... but I completely forgot about the obvious in Sac:
Folsom

Yes, but isn't that I low security? Folsom, CA is a *nice place*, wish I could live there!

It's not like the "Folsom Prison" Johnny Cash song.

In trafficking, they call tattoos branding which is why I'm leaning towards trafficking as the motive. I think Keith and Sherri might have been implying that with the statement today.

I seem to remember seeing an interview with the sheriff stating that the branding had a specific message to it.

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking through this case, and first I want to say that I am very happy to see how respectful the vast majority of you are of both the rules and the victims, even when you suspect something might be off. It is a very refreshing thing to see.

There is one thing specifically I want to comment on. I do happen to be employed in the private sector in a field related to safety and security, and I am concerned that there is some overarching belief among many of you that ST victims are always young. Granted, the average ST victim is younger than 18 (some estimates say the average age is 14 for female victims), but that does not mean that there is not a very substantial number of older adults trapped in the sex trafficking world. Many of them are people who have struggled with live-long issues (such as substance abuse, domestic violence, homelessness) but there are those that are forced into such situations purely as a short-term solution to a market demand. It is rare, but not so rare that you cannot find, in ANY city in America, middle aged women being trafficked online and on the street. Please also remember that the same techniques that work for younger children and younger, moldable adults (such as peer groomers) don't work as well with older adults who have some life experience. Lastly, don't ever underestimate how easily some criminal organizations can change their techniques. It is entirely possible that some success may be found by targeting lower class but established persons purely because of the willingness for the public to believe that they are voluntarily missing rather than abducted.

If you doubt me, spend a little time on the "hookup" sections of many classified sites. Tell me whether you can determine whether the 30-40 year old women there are willing participants or something less. I can promise you that the majority are not happy to be selling themselves on "Frontpaper" or "JimsScroll".

Next, I have seen some posts referencing how she was treated and "released", as opposed to left or refused treatment. Released means that she was determined to be no longer under the care of the hospital. She could have said "no more", or they could have determined that she was fit to be released. You would get the same answer from the hospital, as the situation surrounding her release would be HIPAA-protected (loosely).

Third, branding could mean a tattoo marking, but is often an actual burn (or series of burns) that form a symbol, acronym, or message. It is very popular to brand (burn) in organized crime organizations (and unfortunately, even college greek organizations now). It is also a common way to humiliate a crime victim or a foe.

Again, thank you for being civil as this family has suffered a tremendous ordeal. I happen to be from the area so I have more than just a professional interest. This one hits close to home.

Mods: If we aren't allowed to claim experience without verification, please message me and I can provide.

Because of Websleuths victim friendly policy we must go by what LE gives us. LE has given every indication that SP was the victim of a crime. That courtesy of vcitim friendly extends to SP's family as well.

LE have also now confirmed she was branded and in their recent statements they do not dispute the seriousness of SP's injuries as described in KP's statement. Rather they say they wanted some of those specifics he revealed not to be shared with the public.

Most of you are not new to this. We all know that LE likes to keep certain things close to the vest in an active ongoing investigation. None of us need hold our collective breath awaiting official confirmation of every bruise, scrape, broken bone or broken nail from LE. It's not going to happen.

:deadhorse:

The first responders (CHP) commented on her condition as did the sheriff (despite keeping many of the details from the public in an ongoing investigation). He has confirmed that she was battered and branded, so it's not just KP making the statements regarding her abuse. He has definitely given the "most" information relating to her wellbeing. But if my husband told the world I had been sexually assaulted, he'd know what it feels like to be battered. IMO, there are just some things that don't need to be shared (until necessary in terms of prosecuting a perp).

what are the chances of this being a sex trafficking case, with the victim being "released" and the only description of her condition being told by her husband with ZERO sexual assault accusations and the lead LE officer stating "don't disbelieve" and was "aware of the details"

??? c'mon. what am I missing? help me obi wan websleuthobi's.

I seem to remember seeing an interview with the sheriff stating that the branding had a specific message to it.

Yes, he said it could be a message to her or to other people. The message is "you're/she's mine"

Yes, but isn't that I low security? Folsom, CA is a *nice place*, wish I could live there!

It's not like the "Folsom Prison" Johnny Cash song.

Folsom is a nice place to live as long as your not in one of the two state prisons there. Neither one of them are low security. JMO

1. Not talk to the sheriff so the rest of us feel safer? Not sure what you mean. Do you think Keith has not been in contact with the sheriff? From media reports, we learned that he spoke multiple times with LE, provided them with all his communication devices, and basically made his life an open book. I guess you'll have to explain.
2. Do you think Sherri has given investigators nothing more than what's been reported in the news?
3. This is an intense case for the families and also for LE. I'm sure they've disagreed from time to time. It's only natural. I'm also not surprised Keith took matters into his own hands with the public statement. He doesn't strike me as a passive person. ;)

Hello sumzero,
I do not know when and how often SP has spoken with LE, I would think LE in an effort to keep the public safe would have asked her those questions (given the chance) and passed it on. It's crickets here!!

One thing I can't overlook is what KP *didnt* say. No mention of justice, finding these people, making them pay. My DH would be out for blood if this were me.

This really makes me lean more in the direction that the ransom money was paid. I think KP and/or SP may be terrified of any fallout or retaliation. She may have agreed to willingly say something completely different about who her abductors were, in lieu of her freedom...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This could be true, I agree. Now that she is home safe, I would think they are quietly telling LE every little detail.

Yes, he said it could be a message to her or to other people. The message is "you're/she's mine"

Are you inferring the message or is that something that was put out? I haven't read anything other than it was a message to her or someone else. Nothing about what it said or stood for.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member