Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did they first confront her?

If the phone was near the mailbox it's very possible she sat the phone down to open the box or to go thru her mail. Leaving it as she had wrapped it,

But how did they get her?

We know about her release but not how she was taken.

The closed thread gave me time to rattle around in my head and consider more angles. I want to re-visit all of the Sheriff's comments since the abduction and SP's return. Has the Sheriff definitively identified what he believes to be the kidnapers? Has he skirted the issue by saying "SP said" they were Hispanic females? What if the abduction took place, but the vagueness of everything after is in some way a misdirect away from the real culprit/culprits? It could be out of fear, or some other reason. KP could truly have no part in any of the abduction (hence passing the lie detector), but has since been part of whatever is driving the bus to misdirect LE away from what happened.

I've seen so many things mentioned in MSM articles (no, I don't have links, there are like, 100 of them at least) that mention "online sleuthers" and "internet detectives" and words to that affect, that I can't help but wonder if a lot of these journalists aren't reading these threads. Problem is, most of time it's not said in a favorable way.

All I know is, after seeing KP's anguished expression while recalling those first moments when he saw SP in hospital, I cried all over again.

I watched a random Discovery ID show during a lunch break this week and it made me think of this case.

It was in New Mexico and a woman was lured by another woman to her home where she was held for weeks in a homemade sexual torture chamber by the woman and her husband. The woman escaped, completely naked and chained, and ran from place to place until someone who wasn't afraid she was a crazy let her into their house and got help.

The police discovered that the couple had done this several times before. With another woman (also lured by the wife) the wife convinced her husband to let the woman go vs. killing her when the one captured pleaded for her life citing her children that needed her. The wife (without her husband) dumped her off and when she told her story, no one believed her. Nothing was ever done to find them from this earlier instance because even the cops thought it was too far fetched.

NOT suggesting that is the situation here, but the aftermath similarities reminds me that the possibilities are endless and that completely random, senseless, unbelievable, illogical horrors happen all the time.

one speculation was made that 2 women would make her feel more at ease to approach the vehicle. Well if that did happen she would have seen them. If they had hoods on I highly doubt she would go willing with these 2 people.

Another question I have I saw the show last night and I want to know what they meant about the area they lived in having skeevy undertones even more than most people would realize. That is not a quote but paraphrased. It looked to me like a very rural nice area not too far from Redding. What did they mean by that statement? Pot farms, and let's assume it was pot farms they were talking about, how does that make it a threat to her?

I know the efficiency of crime labs varies from place to place, but I do wonder how long it might take to get some results back from any DNA that may be found on the items they sent off. I'm going to assume those items were the clothes SP was wearing, the chain around her waist and whatever items they were that secured her hands to the chain, and the bag they used to put over her head. Surely among all that, there will be some DNA besides her own?

From your link:
"He pulled the 'Find my iPhone' mobile app, which led him to Old Oregon Trail and Sunrise Drive. There, he found his wife’s cellphone and earbuds with strands of hair attached to them, Sherri Papini’s sister, Sheila Koester, said."

Right...the headline and first paragraph was misleading...thanks :)

one speculation was made that 2 women would make her feel more at east to approach the vehicle. Well if that did happen she would have seen them. If they had hoods on I highly doubt she would go willing with these 2 people.

Another question I have I saw the show last night and I want to know what they meant about the area they lived in having skeevy undertones even more than most people would realize. That is not a quote but paraphrased. It looked to me like a very rural nice area not too far from Redding. What did they mean by that statement? Pot farms, and let's assume it was pot farms they were talking about, how does that make it a threat to her?

This is concerning.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/09/23/california-marijuana-farm-violence/63852/

I found most pot trimmers are professionals from 25 to 40 maki g $20.00 an hr. There are lists of articles out there about it

I am trying to understand some facts about this case. I have some questions. Maybe other people have the same questions. Perhaps people who have followed the case more closely than I will be able to answer them.

-- I am intrigued by the Daily Mail story about Christine Everson spotting a woman who looked like SP in a pickup truck driven by a Hispanic man and a Caucasian man. The story says Ms. Everson belongs to “a sex-trafficking coalition in Redding.” (I presume that means anti-sex-trafficking.) Question 1: Does anyone know if said coalition is, or is connected to, Project Taken, or is connected to CG in some way? The story also says she provided the plate number of the pickup to authorities. Question 2: Has anyone in the media asked the sheriff if he believes the owners of this plate are involved in the crime, or asked him simply whether the owners were tracked down and checked out?

I understand we have reason to read the Daily Mail with a jaundiced eye, and also to be skeptical about people who sell exclusive stories to the DM. Here’s how I look at it. If we think Ms. Everson is credible, Question 2 above would be critically important. It’s the closest thing we have to a sighting of SP during her captivity—and it comes with a license-plate number. If we think Ms. Everson is not credible, then I think it’s important for us to figure out why she approached the media with her story. Many posters here on WS have pointed out the amazing coincidence that a famous anti-sex-trafficking expert and kidnapping-release consultant happened to run in the same circles in Redding as the Ps. Take that as you will. I would add that it is also a startling coincidence that a woman who belongs to an anti-sex-trafficking coalition in Redding is the only person to have come forward with an eyewitness account of seeing SP in her captivity. Speaking just for myself, I might be able to believe one of these coincidences; the two of them together are hard for me to comprehend.

--I read the exchanges in the last thread about FBI involvement. I understand that KP thanked the FBI in his GMA statement and that the sheriff in mid-November said the FBI was involved, but not very much. Question 3: Why hasn’t the FBI been involved more? Question 4: Is the FBI still involved? Usually in kidnapping cases reporters will go the local FBI and ask for details. I haven’t seen any evidence that reporters have. Has anyone seen such a reference? Typically the FBI will say that they can’t provide details in an ongoing investigation. That doesn’t tell you much, but it provides the important fact that there in fact is an ongoing probe. I am surprised that no journalists have gotten at least to this level of inquiry. Or maybe I missed it.

I believe the sheriff has said that gas station sighting was found NOT to be Sherri.

However, I certainly hope they are following up on it anyway in case some other blonde woman is in trouble.

I didn't watch KP on 20/20 last night but read the "transcript" from WS last night. Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems not a lot of answers were provided, other than the rest stop sighting being confirmed it wasn't SP. Still no answers to how she was abducted, descriptions of abductors and motive. Sigh.

Hell hath no fury, that saying came to my mind the minute I heard about this case. I wonder if those two women are angry about something they preceived she did or said or failed to do, something crazy like that. A woman and her daughter was another guess. I hope they solve this case and I pray the victim heals fully and wholly.

I am trying to understand some facts about this case. I have some questions. Maybe other people have the same questions. Perhaps people who have followed the case more closely than I will be able to answer them.

-- I am intrigued by the Daily Mail story about Christine Everson spotting a woman who looked like SP in a pickup truck driven by a Hispanic man and a Caucasian man. The story says Ms. Everson belongs to “a sex-trafficking coalition in Redding.” (I presume that means anti-sex-trafficking.) Question 1: Does anyone know if said coalition is, or is connected to, Project Taken, or is connected to CG in some way? The story also says she provided the plate number of the pickup to authorities. Question 2: Has anyone in the media asked the sheriff if he believes the owners of this plate are involved in the crime, or asked him simply whether the owners were tracked down and checked out?

I understand we have reason to read the Daily Mail with a jaundiced eye, and also to be skeptical about people who sell exclusive stories to the DM. Here’s how I look at it. If we think Ms. Everson is credible, Question 2 above would be critically important. It’s the closest thing we have to a sighting of SP during her captivity—and it comes with a license-plate number. If we think Ms. Everson is not credible, then I think it’s important for us to figure out why she approached the media with her story. Many posters here on WS have pointed out the amazing coincidence that a famous anti-sex-trafficking expert and kidnapping-release consultant happened to run in the same circles in Redding as the Ps. Take that as you will. I would add that it is also a startling coincidence that a woman who belongs to an anti-sex-trafficking coalition in Redding is the only person to have come forward with an eyewitness account of seeing SP in her captivity. Speaking just for myself, I might be able to believe one of these coincidences; the two of them together are hard for me to comprehend.

--I read the exchanges in the last thread about FBI involvement. I understand that KP thanked the FBI in his GMA statement and that the sheriff in mid-November said the FBI was involved, but not very much. Question 3: Why hasn’t the FBI been involved more? Question 4: Is the FBI still involved? Usually in kidnapping cases reporters will go the local FBI and ask for details. I haven’t seen any evidence that reporters have. Has anyone seen such a reference? Typically the FBI will say that they can’t provide details in an ongoing investigation. That doesn’t tell you much, but it provides the important fact that there in fact is an ongoing probe. I am surprised that no journalists have gotten at least to this level of inquiry. Or maybe I missed it.

Just some random thoughts that came to my head as I read your post:

Being as how Redding is such a tiny town, the coincidence of her reporting a possible sighting of SP is not quite as hard to believe as it would be if it had been a larger city. As Everson is involved in helping victims of sex-trafficking in the area, and as she once had the experience of being abducted herself, it's not hard to imagine she would be even more on the alert than the average Redding resident.

Personally, I find it far more intriguing that LE has not commented on whether or not her very complete report was followed up. She supplied a complete description, right down to the truck's tags...so it would not be difficult for LE to say, "we checked out her report and it wasn't related to this case." The fact that more than a week later media reports are still saying "it isn't clear" whether this sighting was related makes me think LE is holding back for a reason. JMO inclination.

And, if KP's reports of her being chained to the vehicle whenever she was in one are true, it also would explain why SP didn't respond to Everson's offer to meet her in the truckstop restroom if she needed help, and why she made no attempt to escape the truck while the men were going in and out of the store. I've read nothing in Everson's story to make me think her sighting wasn't credible. A point-blank question to a woman, "Are you Sherri?" that went unanswered is, to me, odd...even if the woman in the truck was a stranger and put off by Everson's questions. If it had been me in that truck I'd have easily said, "No, I'm not her. But thanks for checking...isn't that story awful??"

I've read little about the FBI involvement, except that they were involved in the case early on, so can't really address that part of your post. (Good questions raised...)

Question for the medical community-if someone is abused and battered, but tells LE that there was no sexual abuse, would an exam be conducted regardless? In the first few hours after such a traumatic event, I can't imagine that a person shares every detail-but DNA that could later be vital to a case could be missed. This question relates to the hospital exam-in addition to treating wounds and evaluating, I would imagine there would be evidence gathering.

"A hood was also placed over her head so she could only see the eyes of her captors, who police describe as two Hispanic women"

The only way this particular sentence makes sense to me is by poor reporting (it wouldn't be the first time, and it wouldn't be the last.) If the captors were wearing ski-mask like "hoods," then yes.
Otherwise, as you said, if my vision is completely blocked, then I don't see anything, period.
JMO

ETA: Sorry, that was a response to PoirotryInMotion #638. Messed up the quote.

one speculation was made that 2 women would make her feel more at ease to approach the vehicle. Well if that did happen she would have seen them. If they had hoods on I highly doubt she would go willing with these 2 people.

They were making an inference to Marijuana farms

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

Just some random thoughts that came to my head as I read your well-thought post:

Being as how Redding is such a tiny town, the coincidence of her reporting a possible sighting of SP is not quite as hard to believe as it would be if it had been a larger city. As Everson is involved in helping victims of sex-trafficking in the area, and as she once had the experience of being abducted herself, it's not hard to imagine she would be even more on the alert than the average Redding resident.

Personally, I find it far more intriguing that LE has not commented on whether or not her very complete report was followed up. She supplied a complete description, right down to the truck's tags...so it would not be difficult for LE to say, "we checked out her report and it wasn't related to this case." The fact that more than a week later media reports are still saying "it isn't clear" whether this sighting was related makes me think LE is holding back for a reason. JMO inclination.

And, if KP's reports of her being chained to the vehicle whenever she was in one are true, it also would explain why SP didn't respond to Everson's offer to meet her in the truckstop restroom if she needed help, and why she made no attempt to escape the truck while the men were going in and out of the store. I've read nothing in Everson's story to make me think her sighting wasn't credible. A point-blank question to a woman, "Are you Sherri?" that went unanswered is, to me, odd...even if the woman in the truck was a stranger and put off by Everson's questions. If it had been me in that truck I'd have easily said, "No, I'm not her. But thanks for checking...isn't that story awful??"

I've read little about the FBI involvement, except that they were involved in the case early on, so can't really address that part of your post.

The sheriff said last night on the 20/20 show that this was their best lead at the time, they did follow up, and they determined it was not Sherri.

But even if they did not have their faces covered the first moment she saw them, it does not mean she can describe them 3 weeks later after being brutalized and chained up in a basement.

May not be able to give a detailed description de novo. But if she got a clear look at their faces, even for a 3 count, good chance she could later identify them either via a photo lineup/mugshot-flip-book or in person police lineup.

That's why KP's story doesn't add up. If these abductors were so concerned about letting SP see their faces that either they or she or both were masked at all times during her alleged captivity, they'd be taking a huge risk that SP wouldn't later be able to identify them via some sort of photo or in-person lineup, if they initially approached her without their masks.

But if they approached wearing masks....? Head-scratcher. Doesn't add up.

He seemed to be guessing at that part...surely he know this detail. It would make perfect sense that two women asked for directions, but not two women concealing their faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3