Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serial killer profiler John Kelly tells PEOPLE he isn’t convinced that two armed Hispanic women abducted California mom Sherri Papini for 22 days, as she has told police.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...i-papini-lucky-alive-abduction-180024166.html

Honestly, I don't know who John Kelly is, but this makes the most sense to me of any of the theories I've read. A lot of people in SP's situation would probably do the same thing, especially if they had young children. JMO

One would think so, but meth freaks who traffic women and carry guns and chains are not logical or rational types.

Once they made their 'mistake' they had to figure out the next step. Just letting her go immediately is a big risk. So they probably tried to find a way to still sell her to someone, somewhere. That took awhile. It apparently didn't work.

They probably considered killing her, a few times at least. At some point, ONE of the women decided to take her for a ride and set her free. It might have been an impulsive decision.

Still think this scenario makes the most sense. Two women involved in the drug trade or something similar, travelling along the I-5 corridor, the Papini's (old) home is a hop skip and jump from that corridor, the 2 take a brief detour from the 5 or are more purposefully right in SP's area, they see a very young looking very white woman all by herself, no one else on sight, they snatch her, with vague plans of selling her to folks they know are in that trade.

But, they find out fairly quickly she's married (wedding ring) and she tells them she has kids. Not what they were thinking, ups the risk, but they've already kidnapped her, and things can still work out.

But, the publicity comes quickly and becomes increasingly intensive. Their associates don't want any part of it unless the PR settles down, but it doesn't. They're stuck with her. Then the ransom becomes an open invitation for bounty hunters to start searching, or anyone else who might have seen them or who knows them to snitch, and they need to end the limbo. One wants to kill her, the other releases her.

Yah, speculation, but yah, stranger things have happened.

If an obese stay at home mom was abducted just like SP. Would we still jump to the trafficking scenario?

Just asking.

So if not. Then what other theories would come into our minds?

Lake, I'm wondering if you know if SP was wearing her wedding ring when she was taken?

But wouldn't a wanna be ST need to be apart of a ring/organization?
I mean, there is no yellow page listing, you need contacts

Exactly right. But it is often a loosely connected group of criminals. So let's say 2 women have been working for a trafficking ring, doing odd jobs, watching over the girls, etc. And after years of seeing their bosses getting RICH, they decide they want to step up their game.

So maybe they get sent to 'drop off' some of the women, to another crew. So they have a gun and some chains etc inside the suv. And they drop off the 'merchandise' and get the money for their boss. And they see how much money the 'merchandise' can be sold for....

So they decide to get their own women to sell, and make the big money themselves. Because they have 'contacts' and think they can do it without giving all the money to their boss everytime.

And maybe SP was in the wrong place at the wrong time when these motivated, greedy, inexperienced criminals came driving down the street.

Honestly, I don't know who John Kelly is, but this makes the most sense to me of any of the theories I've read. A lot of people in SP's situation would probably do the same thing, especially if they had young children. JMO

His bio says he is the co-host of the Discovery Network series Dark Minds. I agree, he makes sense.

So Salfen was the PI hired by family and Garcia was the one that donated his services? We have heard Garcias thoughts. Has anyone heard what Salfen thinks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've read, Salfen hasn't indicated leaning toward any motive. He's expressed happiness that Sherri was released and finds that and some other aspects of the case unique (my paraphrase).

Interviews:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...estigator-helped-in-search-for-sherri-papini/
http://fox40.com/2016/12/01/private-investigator-hired-by-keith-papini-weighs-in-on-kidnapping-case/

But SP wasn't tattooed. So you are comparing apples and oranges to try and link this case to sex trafficking.
Seems like "sex trafficking" has become the new "bushy haired stranger." A catch-all that is convenient to assert for perps even if there is no evidence of that occurring. And if it's not "sex trafficking" then someone will say it's "the mafia." Those must be the 2 common stories on the crime dramas as that's what seems to stick in people's minds as the theories du-jour.

[There is a missing (presumed dead) 5 yr old girl out of AZ, a case from a few years ago. Despite no evidence suggesting it, people insisted it was either sex traffickers or the mafia out to teach the little girl's father a lesson. Some claim the girl was taken by the Mexican mafia and is living somewhere in Mexico, again with no evidence. Meanwhile the family hasn't been ruled out, but never mind that. Cue the mafia.]

The more I think about this case, the more I think it's highly possible that SP wasn't abducted by two women. I'm thinking that she either lied to LE out of fear for her family. Or that she told LE what they really looked like and the public is being told otherwise so as to protect the family, as I think SP was probably threatened that if she said anything that would lead LE to them, they'd come after her and her family. I can't imagine that after 22 days, all that she could know about the perps is the kind of eyebrows they had and their hair color/length. There has to be more info about them that Sherri has shared with LE and has not been released.

I believe KP or the Sheriff stated all of her personal belongings were left at home with the exception of the phone. Whether that included her wedding ring, which family members have told me she is very protective of and takes off for washing dishes, gardening and showering, I do not know.
Lake, I'm wondering if you know if SP was wearing her wedding ring when she was taken?

In response to a bunch of comments:

A tattoo (made with needle and ink) can represent a "brand" as in a marking or logo or symbol, but a brand ( made by hot metal) - no matter if it's a symbol or words - is never a tattoo.

In SP's case, IMO, the implication is she was branded with heated metal, not marked with ink.

I thought it was obvious that I meant at the time of her abduction. Apparently it wasn't, I should have been clearer. I very much believe that they learned those things during her captivity due to all the media attention, posters, etc. Also KP stated in his interview how SP cradled and rocked a piece of cloth while envisioning she was holding her 2 year old daughter; they likely were aware of that.

Lake16 - Your input and insight is very much appreciated.

This exchange took place last night after you logged off:
Originally Posted by manormuskeg
That is very interesting, and could well answer the central mystery: how is SP still alive? I can't imagine the two kidnappers not dumping her as a team, if that was the plan. I wonder if it's 3AM, the more sympathetic captor spirits SP into the SUV while the evil captor is asleep, pushes SP out in Yolo and just keeps driving to wherever.

The Sheriff did refer to SP's abuser as a "sick person" and not persons. That makes it even more likely that one of them wasn't fully committed.

I also like the idea of the evil captor waking up to an empty house and completely freaking out.

(my response) BBM

Yes - my dau and I were discussing this scenario possibility earlier. I can't help but wonder if that's not what went down. If so, is the one who dropped her even still in the US? That person could be key to solving the case.

Based on a couple of things you've posted previously:
"I believe the Sheriff said she was released by one abductor, not both. I suggest you take that statement literally."
"I believe there were a number of factors. Publicity, sympathy, and fear of apprehension."

I wonder what your thoughts are about this speculation.

Seems like "sex trafficking" has become the new "bushy haired stranger." A catch-all that is convenient to assert for perps even if there is no evidence of that occurring. And if it's not "sex trafficking" then someone will say it's "the mafia." Those must be the 2 common stories on the crime dramas as that's what seems to stick in people's minds as the theories du-jour.

[There is a missing (presumed dead) 5 yr old girl out of AZ, a case from a few years ago. Despite no evidence suggesting it, people insisted it was either sex traffickers or the mafia out to teach the little girl's father a lesson. Some claim the girl was taken by the Mexican mafia and is living somewhere in Mexico, again with no evidence. Meanwhile the family hasn't been ruled out, but never mind that. Cue the mafia.]

Agree.

Just because SP is decent looking.

That doesn't mean it had to be sex trafficking.

Especially since she wasn't passed off to no men. Jmo

She was supposedly abducted by women and released by a woman after 22 days.

But we have never heard of any other female that went through this same thing without hearing that men were involved as well.

So if men were involved.

Then why would they only mention 2 women with guns?

I don't know who John Kelly is either but he seems to be thinking what I have been thinking, and yes it does make a lot of sense. Time will tell, I hope.

Do we know that she wasn't abducted by aliens and taken to another planet for three weeks? No, but that hasn't been reported. If it hasn't been reported, it's best to assume that it didn't happen. Otherwise you could assume anything happened.

Since there hasn't been enough info released to know what happened, if that info is even known by LE, obviously every idea here is nothing more than a guess.

Some seem more confident about their guesses, some less, but that's all they are. ;)

Agree.

Just because SP is decent looking.

That doesn't mean it had to be sex trafficking.

Especially since she wasn't passed off to no men. Jmo

She was supposedly abducted by women and released by a woman after 22 days.

But we have never heard of any other female that went through this same thing without hearing that men were involved as well.

So if men were involved.

Then why would they only mention 2 women with guns?

I have a hunch there were men involved and that for whatever reason is not being released to the general public.

The more I think about this case, the more I think it's highly possible that SP wasn't abducted by two women. I'm thinking that she either lied to LE out of fear for her family. Or that she told LE what they really looked like and the public is being told otherwise so as to protect the family, as I think SP was probably threatened that if she said anything that would lead LE to them, they'd come after her and her family. I can't imagine that after 22 days, all that she could know about the perps is the kind of eyebrows they had and their hair color/length. There has to be more info about them that Sherri has shared with LE and has not been released.

Would LE knowingly mislead the public about the race and gender the suspects? Can you imagine the controversy if a white man abducted SP and LE let the public believe it was two Hispanic women?

Also why would LE withhold information about the suspects and their vehicle? Unless they have a really good idea who took SP that information would help the investigation much more if it were released to the public.

Personally, I'd rather just stick with this case in discussions than see incessant citations of other cases from around the country. This case seems rather unique, to me. Is there some reason that the people of Shasta County are contemptuous of their own Law Enforcement Agencies? What a strange community it paints itself to be. What IS going on ? JMO

Yes. This. Thank you!!

But you are talking about EXPERIENCED, intelligent traffickers. Do we know if the perps who took her had that knowledge or experience?

Maybe two women, who were hired hands, were doing an errand for their boss. And they did some meth, smoked a blunt, and were complaining how they worked for him and didn't make the same kind of money he did. So they drive past a pretty, petite blonde, all alone on the side of the road. BINGO--

Bing! Again! I think you got it! Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie