GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the plea agreement. Not sure if it's been posted and it's long, so I haven't been thru the whole thing, but it looks like she will be paying A LOT of money

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/press-release/file/1493821/download

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/press-release/file/1493816/download
14 wouldn't be nearly enough IMO but one can only hope... from the above document

6. Sentencing Range: The parties estimate, but do not stipulate, that the defendant’s sentencing range will be 8-14 months (The defendant understands that if the criminal history category differs from the parties’ estimate, her Guidelines sentencing range may differ from that set forth here.)

The restitution she will have to pay back is as follows.
California Victims Compensation Board (“CalVCB”): at least $30,694.15

United States Social Security Administration (“SSA”): at least $127,567.60

Shasta County Sheriff’s Office (“SCSO”): $148,866.23

Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”): $2,558.35

Total is $309,686.33

Seems like the amount owed to the FBI is extremely low. JMO.

Here's the plea agreement. Not sure if it's been posted and it's long, so I haven't been thru the whole thing, but it looks like she will be paying A LOT of money

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/press-release/file/1493816/download
Wow, she also collected SSDI (Disability payments) for nearly 6 years! What a piece of work.

I see that part of her agreement is that she can't file bankruptcy in order to finagle her way out of paying the debts. But... where would the funds come from anyway? As a SAHM she's pretty much judgment proof unless she gets a job and I don't think any agreement could force that to happen.

@gitana1 what say you? TIA.

Looks like Sherri collected a good chunk of Social Security payments over the last few years. Must have been for her phony PTSD that her therapist "treated" her for. JMO.

Wow, she also collected SSDI (Disability payments) for nearly 6 years! What a piece of work.

I see that part of her agreement is that she can't file bankruptcy in order to finagle her way out of paying the debts. But... where would the funds come from anyway? As a SAHM she's pretty much judgment proof unless she gets a job and I don't think any agreement could force that to happen.

Defendant further agrees that she will not seek to discharge any restitution obligation or any part of such obligation in any bankruptcy proceeding.

Agree, especially considering other tales from her past, like committing self-harm and blaming it on her mom, and ginning up racist nonsense. She seems like a fairly terrible person.

I actually feel really terrible for her poor mother, having birthed a creep like that. Easter dinner is gonna be weird for her family, for sure.

She can't file bankruptcy but it appears she's currently indigent anyway, unless she has assets of her own to declare.

I suspect her house, car and other assets are owned jointly with her husband and I don't think the government can punish him for her debts. And AFAIK she doesn't even have a job. So where would the funds come from?
You're right. I don't see her ever paying off the restitution debts. She'll probably lay low for awhile and then make money under the table in the future.

She can learn from OJ Simpson on how to do it. JMO.

I haven't followed this case closely but if Gone Girl's disappearing act garnered donations, resulting in monies to pay mounting bills then, and a cushy sentence now, I smell book deals, movie deals, streaming deals, generating all kinds of money for restitution and comfort. Which would make for a very successful -- if pitiful -- solution to one's money woes.

Contrite, no. Perched to star in her own story, I hope she's barred from profiting from her crime.

JMO

Last edited:
For the SSDI fraud alone, the penalty should be stiff.

Outrageous.

JMO
Additionally, the government agrees not to bring any charges related to any alleged violations regarding defrauding the United States Social Security Administration related to Social Security Disability benefits issued to Sherri Papini based on her supposed “kidnapping” from November 2016 up through the date of March 28, 2022.

This is the only mention of SSDI fraud.

The SSA doesn’t look kindly on fraud, and the penalty for misuse of Social Security can be severe. Each false statement a person makes, while knowing full-well that they are not eligible, can result in misdemeanor fines of up to $5,000. For people in “positions of trust,” such as doctors, translators, claimant representatives, and current or former SSA employees, that about increases up to $7,500.

Felony criminal penalties for Social Security fraud can set someone back up to $250,000 and can put them away for five years. For the aforementioned people in positions of trust, the punishment could be as much as 10 years in prison.

Doesn't look like the SSA cares much about the fraud in this case. They are just asking for the money back which will probably never happen. JMO.

Everything You Need to Know to Report Disability Fraud

I haven't followed this case closely but if Gone Girl's disappearing act garnered donations, resulting in monies to pay mounting bills then, and a cushy sentence now, I smell book deals, movie deals, streaming deals, generating all kinds of money for restitution and comfort. Which would make for a very successful -- if pitiful -- solution to one's money woes.

Contrite, no. Perched to star in her own story, I hope she's barred from profiting from her crime.

JMO
Who knows, Netflix may soon be knocking on Sherri's door.

Both Anna Delvey/Sorokin and the "Bad Vegan" Sarma Melngailis received money from Netflix for their stories. In Delvey's case the court froze her payment from Netflix then unfroze it so she could pay her debts. Melngailis paid her ex-employees and lawyer.

Not that I have any interest in seeing Papini's story. I've had quite enough, thanks. :mad:

Wednesday, April 13th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 2pm PT) CA - Sherri Louise Papini (34 @ time of crime/39), whose kidnapping (11/2/16) & sensational return on Thanksgiving day, 11/24/16 captured global attention, has been arrested & charged (3/3/22) with making false statements to a federal law enforcement officer & defrauding the California Victim’s Compensation Board of $30K. (Paid victim assistance money based on her kidnapping story. From 2017 thru 2021, Papini’s request for victim assistance caused approximately 35 payments totaling over $30K, including for visits to her therapist & for the ambulance that transported her to the hospital after her return. No bond. Unsecured bond reset (3/8/22) @ $120K ($70K secured/$50K unsecured). Bonded out on 3/8/22.
Case info reference post #409 here:
CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

3/4/22 Update: Papini, the Redding woman accused of faking her own kidnapping while she spent 22 days with an ex-boyfriend, appeared in court via Zoom for the first time Friday, and was ordered to remain in Sacramento County Jail until at least Tuesday afternoon. Papini, who was represented by Redding defense attorney Michael Borges, did not speak during her brief arraignment hearing before U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremy Peterson of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California. She faces charges of making false statements to a federal law enforcement officer & mail fraud. The maximum prison sentence is five years for the first charge & 20 years for the second. Each charge carries a maximum financial penalty of $250,000 & Peterson said she could also be required to pay restitution. Borges also argued for Papini's release on her own recognizance, but prosecutor Veronica Alegría countered that the allegations against Papini show she is a flight risk. Peterson set a detention hearing for 2pm Tuesday, 3/8/22 & a preliminary hearing for 2pm on 3/18/22.
3/8/22 Update: Hearing was before U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremy D. Peterson. Papini, who appeared virtually on Zoom, didn’t speak once throughout the duration of the hearing. Papini's bail is set at $120K & she'll be released with no GPS monitoring device after orchestrating abduction hoax where she disappeared for 22 days & claimed she'd been kidnapped, abused & branded. Peterson ultimately found that he had “serious concerns” about the allegations against Papini & her alleged history of “dishonesty” * agreed to release her on a $120K partially unsecured bond. $70K (secured) of the bond will be secured by her husband Keith Papini’s property & the additional $50K (unsecured) will be co-signed by her parents. As conditions of her release, the judge also told Papini she must provide a DNA sample & restrict her travel to the Eastern District of California if approved by the court in advance. She was ordered to surrender her passport, undergo psychiatric treatment, hand over a DNA sample & not travel outside of the court’s jurisdiction. The judge also required Papini not to use alcohol or non-prescription narcotics & ordered her to participate in a program of medical or psychiatric treatment. She also must not "associate with or have contact with any witnesses in this case outside of the presence of her attorney, with the exception of her family members, the judge said. Peterson also set a preliminary hearing for 3/25/22 & Alegria said prosecutors were hoping to obtain an indictment against Papini before that date.
3/15/22: Papini won’t be able to access documents related to her criminal case unless she’s in the presence of her attorney, a judge ruled. The protective order, filed by prosecutors last week & signed by a magistrate judge Tuesday, bars Papini from accessing documents that contain “personal identifying information,” such as the names of witnesses or other related information, court records show. Not only will Papini not have access to the records unless she’s in the presence of her defense team, she also can’t make copies of the materials, take them out of the room or “write down or memorialize” any of the identifying information in the files, the document, filed in the Eastern District of California, says. Papini does have a right to make a request to see the documents but before her attorney can allow her access, all personal identifying information must be redacted from the records, the order says.
3/19/22 Update: Papini is now scheduled to appear at 2pm on 4/29/22 in federal court in Sacramento in front of U.S. Magistrate Judge Allison Claire for a preliminary examination. While Papini’s first two court appearances were conducted via Zoom, the 4/29 proceedings will be in-person. The delay is required to allow the defense reasonable time for preparation & for the government’s continuing investigation of the case. The parties further agree that the interests of justice served by granting this continuance outweigh the best interests of the public & the defendant in a speedy trial.
4/11/22 Update: The plea agreement has been delivered to prosecutors in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento, which is expected to file a charging document called an “information” & have it assigned to a magistrate judge for a hearing this week. The charges could have netted Papini up to 20 years & a $500K fine. Prosecutors have not yet filed a sentencing memo that details their recommended sentence. She has signed a plea deal & will admit that she planned the incident. Papini issued a statement through her attorney expressing remorse. “I am deeply ashamed of myself for my behavior & so sorry for the pain I’ve caused my family, my friends, all the good people who needlessly suffered because of my story & those who worked so hard to try to help me,” Papini said in her statement. “I will work the rest of my life to make amends for what I have done.” Her defense attorney William Portanova said his client would plead guilty to charges of lying to a federal officer & mail fraud. The plea agreement calls for Papini to pay restitution topping $300K. That includes $30,694 to the California Victims Compensation Board, which reimbursed her for things including visits to her therapist for "treatment for anxiety & PTSD" & for the ambulance ride to the hospital after she surfaced near Sacramento. She also will pay the Shasta County Sheriff's Office nearly $149K & the FBI more than $2,500 for their expenses during the investigation. She also owes the Social Security Administration at least $127,568. Prosecutors agreed as part of the plea bargain to recommend a sentence on the low end of the sentencing range, estimated for Papini to be between eight & 14 months in custody. She is scheduled to be arraigned on those charges Wednesday, 4/13/22 & will likely enter the guilty pleas.

Her lies cost her kids at least part of a college fund. Or it’s a nice down payment (out here in CA) on a house.

Geez Louise.

I’m glad to see at least some time for her. I hope counseling is also part of the deal. Real counseling with someone who knows she’s a liar.

I wonder what her husband thinks of all of this.

Yeah she can’t BK her way out of this. If she owns property, that can be liened. Otherwise, I’m not sure how she will pay. Gross.

The kids will be in school now right? Then there's six hours a day for her to earn something, not sure who would employ her right enough. I hope no one else helps her pay this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie