GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly Papini was NOT trafficked and she was ignorant of the subject. Pity she isn't sharing a cell with Ghislaine Maxwell, an expert on trafficking.
Education is the key to opportunity…
You're lucky. The lies, the drama, the neediness just drains a person, kills a marriage and damages children. Wish i never met this type.

Imagine if this was your mother…

Iirc KP said LE told him he had passed a LD test.
LE doesn't have to tell the truth, but no charges have been filed against him to date.
When I heard the headphones were strung around neatly and placed at the side of the road I was pretty sure this was a hoax. I would think KP would be suspicious right then and there too.
moo

Iirc KP said LE told him he had passed a LD test.
LE doesn't have to tell the truth, but no charges have been filed against him to date.
When I heard the headphones were strung around neatly and placed at the side of the road I was pretty sure this was a hoax. I would think KP would be suspicious right then and there too.
moo
After reading all of the new evidence in this case I feel that Keith Papini is a victim of the hoax that his wife created and should not be disparaged. JMO.

I tried hard to believe that she had been abducted when she went missing, but I also believed, based on other cases, that she could have abandoned her family (as my grandmother did) or gone missing to commit suicide (Leanne Beardon). There was no real evidence she had been abducted other than her headphones with strands of hair, which says nothing. The “reverse ransom” and other fund raising didn’t set well with me, but it also means nothing. When she reappeared “on schedule” and her husband gave the “abducted by two Hispanic women” account, I thought “Hmmmmm” and my suspicions increased over time. But initially I would rather be wrong and victim-friendly than be suspicious and right.
JMO
It makes me think of the Denise Huskins case a year earlier, a bizarre kidnapping and sexual assault which the Vallejo PD called a hoax and repeatedly ridiculed the victim and her partner (now husband) in the worst way.
Meanwhile, area women remained unknowingly at risk from the guy.
It cost Vallejo $2.5 million to settle the victim’s lawsuit after the FBI solved the case 3 months later when the perpetrator struck again.
Maybe that nearby case was a tunnel vision lesson that alerted Redding LE to take their time and get real evidence before pointing fingers at alleged victims.

Claim: Vallejo cops told kidnapped woman’s lawyer to watch ‘Gone Girl’

Exclusive: Sherri Papini accepts plea deal, will admit her ‘kidnap’ was all a hoax

Papini issued a statement through her attorney expressing remorse. “I am deeply ashamed of myself for my behavior and so sorry for the pain I’ve caused my family, my friends, all the good people who needlessly suffered because of my story and those who worked so hard to try to help me,” Papini said in her statement. “I will work the rest of my life to make amends for what I have done.”

I’m shocked she is accepting responsibility.
Exclusive: Sherri Papini accepts plea deal, will admit her ‘kidnap’ was all a hoax

Papini issued a statement through her attorney expressing remorse. “I am deeply ashamed of myself for my behavior and so sorry for the pain I’ve caused my family, my friends, all the good people who needlessly suffered because of my story and those who worked so hard to try to help me,” Papini said in her statement. “I will work the rest of my life to make amends for what I have done.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article260342530.html

The plea agreement has been delivered to prosecutors in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento, which is expected to file a charging document called an “information” and have it assigned to a magistrate judge for a hearing this week.

[..]

The charges could have netted Papini up to 20 years and a $500,000 fine. Prosecutors have not yet filed a sentencing memo that details their recommended sentence.

Papini initially was held in the Sacramento County Main Jail for five nights before a judge released her to home confinement and her family posted a $120,000 bond.

Good points! The reverse ransom was bizarre IMO.

The whole "Supermom" stuff and the "signature hair" didn't help but other than gut feelings there really wasn't a lot early on that said hoax. I can see why some got suspicious while others believed the story.

The turning point for me was the story after SP's return. For some reason her descriptions smacked a bit to me like Willie Wilson's story about being attacked by a couple in an alley who took his newborn son and ran off. Video showed it never happened.

Too many questions remained. Most of all I never understood the point of the abduction. Sherri didn't fit the profile of someone a trafficker would choose. She was in her mid 30's. She came from a stable middle class home and would certainly be reported missing and searched for.

Why the branding? (Although that threw me as it didn't occur to me that someone would self harm to boost credibility). And why suddenly let her go after going to the trouble of imprisoning her in a boarded up house, feeding her, giving her clothes, etc.?

There have been a few cases here that turned out unexpectedly - Isabel Celis, Heidi Broussard for example. Cases like that remind us not to jump to conclusions. But it's hard to ignore the old hinky meter, even when it's wrong. In Sherri's case it was right on. MOO.

Once she was "released", that was it for me. I was certain her story was false. I never thought Isabel Celis' parents were involved. But Heidi Broussard's boyfriend was super high on my list due to a multiplicity of factors. I keep photos on my phone of him smiling during interviews - something that was a red flag for me- because I like to catalogue what are tells...and what are not.

In this case, Sherri's story was totally nonsensical, lacked logical supporting evidence and had a racist tinge that was too much in keeping with her past and with what guilty people often do to play on stereotypes (like Susan Smith). Until then, I was open
to what happened to her and believed she was likely a victim. I was even indignant with someone who gently pointed out some things in her social media that may have pointed to a troubled mental state, prior to the time she showed up! Lesson learned!

Wow.

I'm shocked. I hope she is serious about making amends and it wasn't just the threat of up to 20 years & a hefty fine that made her take a plea.

(My guess was she'd do an Alford plea.)

At least she didn't kill or physically harm anyone for attention. Small blessings. I doubt she will do any time. Hopefully, she will at least have to engage in real counseling, community service and have to pay back what she stole. I wish she would have to do some time, however. This cost a lot to investigate and caused a lot of alarm.

What a nut.

Good for her. Now I think I have more respect for SP than Jussie which feels weird.

IMO I think her lawyer probably had a lot to do with her statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member