GUILTY CA - Sherri Rasmussen, 29, murdered in her Los Angeles home, 24 Feb 1986

Thanks for all the info guys.....I'm off to read the above article and then locate the Trials & Tribulations blog!

Can't wait for the book to come out!

This is her prison mug shot which was just released to the public. She's probably trying to show how "strong" she is.. just to spite all of the people who are sickened by her. But to me, it confirms what a murderous loony-tune she really is!

Stephanie+Lazarus+prison+intake+photo.pngg

This is her prison mug shot which was just released to the public. She's probably trying to show how "strong" she is.. just to spite all of the people who are sickened by her. But to me, it confirms what a murderous loony-tune she really is!

Stephanie+Lazarus+prison+intake+photo.pngg

Oh man, I HATE knowing that was the last face Sherri looked at before she died. Freaky scary.

And I bet John's wife is just as freaked at learning the details of his continued relationship with psycho-killer, both while married to Sherri AND after her murder. This nutcase's highly inappropriate, boundary-crossing behaviors were apparent to everyone. Uh, except someone who may have craved attention and liked drama

I find it really creepy that for 20 years the public thought she was there to protect them ...
I watched it on Snapped and I'm creeped out by a few things in this case: 1) she grew up not far from me (bugs me the way the Snapped narrator kept mispronouncing Simi Valley- it's pronounced like See Me, not Sim e.), 2) she's my age, and 3) she worked very close to where I grew up, but at least I was in San Diego when this happened.

I've been catching up with this case and I was wondering a few things. Like the poster above, I was wondering how Lazarus knew the wife was home, and what vehicle she arrived in and left in. Also the victim's father told police about his daughter's harrasser, but he didn't know her name. Was there a reason the husband didn't give him the name? Also, and this is what I find most intriguing. Did Lazarus steal or get rid of any evidence, while she was at work? I read that the DNA couldn't be found at the department, but some was finally found at the coroners. Also, in the interrogation, she mentioned 'faintly' remembering a trip to Hawaii, where the husband might have showed up. This was long after the death, but was it ever looked into? Sincethe husband knew Lazarus had threatened and harrassed his wife, why would he have gone? As far as her thinking she would ever be caught, I don't think she did. If she had been even a little nervous, she would have been a little more prepared for the interrogation and practiced her answers. Omg, she was totally fake and unbelievable. I mean, who 'faintly' remembers a trip to Hawaii? Also, it was mentioned that Lazarus played college sports. Is there a roster available? because I can't find anything anywhere.
She went to U.C.L.A. -check from 1978-1982 because she's my age, and that's when I was in college.

And another thing. If this had been a case of men robbing a house, why the torture? They had a gun, so why not just go ahead and use it? (which they didn't have a problem doing). What did cops think about the bite wound? That doesn't sound like something a burglar would do if interrupted. I don't understand how cops thought Sherrie put up this kind of fight, against men with a gun. If this was about robbery, Sherrie would have either done as told, so they would leave, or they would have used the gun. All this fighting and struggling, IMO, points to her knowing the perp, and this being personal. Who, besides some kind of rapist, would bite a stranger? I would think it would take a certain kind of person to bite a victim...a very angry, out of control person, who wanted to feel the satisfaction of inflicting pain, before she killed the victim. No robber is going to do this. He's going to scram as fast as he can.
Plus, couldn't they figure out that the VCR was probably staging???:waitasec:

Wanted to post here after I just read an article about Sherri in Vanity Fair.The article is in the July 2012 edition, and is written by Mark Bowden. Titled " Solving a 23 year old cold case. " I found out that :

1. According to Sherri's father, Sherri told him that Lazarus had come to her and John's condo,unannounced, 3 different times ( that Sherri was aware of ).

2. Lazarus came to the condo one other morning,when Sherri was there alone. Usually, Sherri would leave first, and then John would leave.Sherri told her dad that she wondered if Lazarus had been coming over there in the mornings,to be with John before he went to work... This might explain why Lazarus went over there on the morning that she killed Sherri; she may have been intending to spend some time with John...but, Sherri was running late that morning...

3. According to Sherri's father, she kept asking John to tell Lazarus to stop coming over to their home...but, supposedly, he told Sherri that they should just placate Lazarus...

4. Amazingly, the article goes on to say that Lazarus and John went on vacation to Hawaii together...18 years after Sherri was murdered ... supposedly they ended their relationship while on vacation, and both then married other people...

One thing really bothers me : how did Lazarus get into the house that morning ? Was the front door left open,as LE stated ? Or had Lazarus somehow gotten hold of a key ?

Riveting article...

Actually, John visited Lazarus in Hawaii 3 years after the murder. If I remember correctly, Lazarus was vacationing with a male companion, and John met up with them.

Actually, John visited Lazarus in Hawaii 3 years after the murder. If I remember correctly, Lazarus was vacationing with a male companion, and John met up with them.

My bad, they did indeed vacation together in 1989. In the article,there is no mention of Lazarus being with any male companion. The article states that "their rlationship did not outlast the vacation "...which is an interesting way to put it.

I wonder how long John had been in contact with Lazarus after the murder ? Did he see her often..? The author uses the word "relationship"...wonder what he means by it ?

My bad, they did indeed vacation together in 1989. In the article,there is no mention of Lazarus being with any male companion. The article states that "their rlationship did not outlast the vacation "...which is an interesting way to put it.

I wonder how long John had been in contact with Lazarus after the murder ? Did he see her often..? The author uses the word "relationship"...wonder what he means by it ?

This case still has a lot of question marks. Sheri's family claims there was a LAPD cover up years ago. And I've always had a fishy feeling about John Rutten.

BTW, the Trial and Tribulations blog found many inaccuracies in Bowden's article:
http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2012/09/fact-checking-mark-bowdens-curious.html

http://mynewsla.com/crime/2016/12/3...iation-kept-quiet-about-alleged-cop-cover-up/

An LAPD criminalist who alleges the department deliberately overlooked evidence that linked a detective to the 1986 killing of a nurse says in new court papers that she did not come forward immediately because she feared the consequences.

“I was aware that failure to toe the line in LAPD cover-ups resulted in retaliation,” Jennifer Francis says in a sworn statement.

Francis sued the city in Los Angeles Superior Court in October 2013, alleging Detective Cliff Sheppard of the Robbery-Homicide Division’s cold case unit ignored the results of DNA tests that she performed as a criminalist in the LAPD’s Scientific Investigation Division.

Those results gained importance years later when another detective determined that LAPD Detective Stephanie Lazarus killed romantic rival Sherri Rasmussen...

wow what a bum scab john was.
couldn't keep his dick in his pants before during and AFTER sherri lost her life for loving him unconditionally.
he had to of known deep down.....what Stephanie did. the ongoing cruelty before the murder was bad enough.
sob has zero integrity .
he certainly didn't deserve the beautiful sherri that's for sure.

I am just now looking into this case. I'm always a day late and a dollar short LOL.

Since Stephanie was a cop and a murder detective initially as I understand it, why didn't she just take the file knowing DNA was now available and destroy that swab? This has bugged me from the get-go. Im not saying she is innocent by any means but I wonder if the chain of command was just lost in regard to the evidence and therefore how can one be sure the swabs were not tainted or even contaminated? Could Stephanie been set up? These things just swirl around my small little mind LOL

just saw she survived thyroid cancer. I was wondering if she had Graves disease which is thyroid related and can make you act crazy. Could this explain the crazy eyes? Wonder if anyone ever reported on this?

just saw she survived thyroid cancer. I was wondering if she had Graves disease which is thyroid related and can make you act crazy. Could this explain the crazy eyes? Wonder if anyone ever reported on this?

Hmm not sure about Graves disease making her look like that. I thought she looked like she was strung out on meth. Not really sure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back