Found Alive CA - Sheryl Powell, 60, and dog, Grandview Campground, Inyo County, 12 July 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TatianaBarbie, Jul 14, 2019.

1. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

Experienced Camper, Huntington Beach Woman Missing In Inyo County

"INYO COUNTRY (CBSLA) — A 60-year-old Huntington Beach woman — described as an “experienced” camper — is missing in Inyo County.

Sheryl Powell’s dog also disappeared.

The woman’s husband told authorities that his wife and the dog disappeared on Friday around 2 in the afternoon at Grandview Campground.

Powell is described as 5-feet 3-inches tall and about 120 pounds. The dog is 5 pounds with black and white coloring.

Powell’s husband said his wife went to take the dog for a bathroom break while he parked the car.

After searching the area for about an hour, he called law enforcement for help.

Search and Rescue crews are looking for Powell by air and by ground."

Other sources:

Huntington Beach Woman Reported Missing While Camping (video)
    Huntington Beach Woman Reported Missing While Camping (video)

Grandview Campground, Bristlecone Pine Forest, Inyo County, CA:

Google Maps

THREAD #1

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2019
    Buin80 and roche.analisa like this.

2. KatzEye

KatzEye Well-Known Member

roche.analisa and osu like this.
  3. Steph9676

Steph9676 Well-Known Member

roche.analisa likes this.
  4. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Please continue the discussion here.

If there are posts you think would be beneficial if they were brought over from the first thread to this one please hit the "report" button and let the mods know.

5. Steelslady

Steelslady Justice for Kelsey

I am wondering if she has some kind of mental illness. Or dementia.

6. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

I’m thinking Bald Bigfoot.

7. coffeeandacig

coffeeandacig ...

No updates or more importantly sketch of the man on the sheriff's website. Rather disappointed that 11 days after her rescue, there is still no sketch of this dangerous man. You would think the safety of people visiting the parks in Inyo County would be of importance.

8. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

I don't think there will ever be a sketch, because I do not think Mrs Powell is able to give detailed information (for whatever reason). She had ample opportunity to work with LE (and that's not what she did, at first, she went to media - especially *national* media, which is not that helpful and the description of the perp had to be coaxed out of her).

So it remains a vague verbal description. Inyo LE has no further announcements regarding this perp, either. I think LE is concerned about safety up there, but their silence on the matter shows that they do not think there's an ongoing threat.

If the man exists, he could be anywhere, as it is impossible to live up there without a vehicle.

9. TTF14

TTF14 Spaceship Headlight Pattern Expert

It's very telling.

10. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I'm in the group that doesn't believe a sketch will be released. I don't think LE believes there is a public safety risk to hikers/campers in that area from a single individual. If they did, the public would know.

I do however think everyone should anyway be vigilant, aware of your surroundings & prepare wisely for the outdoor area you plan to visit. Enjoy the outdoors and don't let fear take over.

11. leomoon

leomoon Astrologer and Author D.M.Hoover on Kindle

I'm thinking of the "Runaway Bride" back in 1995 The runaway bride case was the case of Jennifer Carol Wilbanks, an American woman who ran away from home on April 26, 2005, in order to avoid her wedding to John Mason on the 30th of April.
    (from Wikipedia if you want to read more there):
    On April 29, Wilbanks called Mason from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and falsely claimed that she had been kidnapped and sexually assaulted by a Hispanic man and a white woman.

On April 29th, her relatives put out a $100,000 reward for her safe return.
    The following month, Wilbanks cancelled her engagement to her fiance after she was found.
    Also in May, Wilbanks was charged with making false statements to the police. She reached an agreement with the City of Duluth to repay more then $13,000. in costs incurred looking for her.

You can always look up, "Runaway Bride Case" for there is far too much information both then and since to relate, but point being, "stuff happens"like this often enough.

According to the BBC, Jennifer Wilbanks sold the media rights to her story to a New York City company for $500,000. Its also newsworthy to mention that she did not offer to repay the whole cost of the search for her, which totaled almost $43,000

Can anyone else recall such cases where the kidnap-pee had to repay the city? :rolleyes:

12. therion20

therion20 Well-Known Member

I find sad how much interest this lady's case keeps getting even after being found safe and there are some many other cases that they barely get any attention. JHMO

13. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

So now I guess this incident will just fade away, just like it never happened.....

14. TTF14

TTF14 Spaceship Headlight Pattern Expert

à la another kidnapping "victim" with the same initials.....

15. SleuthingGame

SleuthingGame Active Member

16. Liwthe

Liwthe Well-Known Member

Has anyone offered an idea how this amazing hoax might have been pulled off?

I mean, I’ve seen rescues where the person looked extremely good despite what they’d been through much to the extreme surprise of their rescuers. Most recently it was a guy who spent the night puking over the side of his boat with friends in rough seas and during one of the pukes when he was wretching nothing as there was nothing left, he fell overboard in the rough seas.

The next day was hot as hell, and it was presumed he could not have survived long and the search was called off. An Aussie kept searching in his own boat for 24 hrs with some other locals believing it was possible. The mans story of nearly drowning multiple times, being attacked by sharks, seagulls that tried to peck his eyes out and almost losing hope ended in footage of him being pulled out looking sunburnt on the face, but remarkably well! No water, tredding and swimming in the blazing sun, obviously dehydrated, but he looked normal in footage and not obviously dehydrated (and everyone attested to this) except for some sunburn. Able to walk, talk and laugh.

Sheryl had access to water. You can survive without food. Dogs, too. It’s not great obviously, but they’re not cats in that it gets dangerous after a few days of not eating (and she did apparently feed small amounts of a turkey treat). People have fasted for many days. I don’t know the record, but it’s pretty long.

She wasn’t that far away. She had shoes on, so I’m not understanding why her feet should be swollen and blistered and some of the other things claimed that would have happened. Yes, you would think she’d be pretty scratched up, but perhaps she had a stick and walked very carefully. Perhaps there was moonlight. It’s hard to know.

The footage we see is in the hospital, and she would have received more hydration and nourishment obviously.

It does look to me like her face is more plump than in earlier pics. Could be facial fillers. Not at all unusual and in fact quite common, especially for this age group, especially if work is professional and presentation important.

What I’m saying is it’s harder for me to understand the whole fake kidnapping/escape and how it was achieved than the actual story told. The mild discrepancies (uphill downhill, ran away, waited till it was safe) in story as reported I think can be accounted for by it being further fleshed out as longer interviews were given, and/or discussing different times during the escape. Ie. she may have originally run uphill to get away from the attacker but he caught up and she played it cool, and her next escape was downhill etc.

None of it is enough for me to overcome that her story is more plausible than the fooling of LE and SAR. Now, that would be something incredible!!

It makes me think if Barbara Thomas were found she’d not be believed and would be the perpetrator of a hoax now rather than the husband who is at this point is believed by many as being guilty in her disappearance.

I’m perplexed as to why on a sleuthing website where abductions are known to those that follow crime occur, and many times people actually do get lost and die and we are encouraged to go with Occam’s razor. It seems like pulling off a hoax like this would be the most implausible answer. I know there are nutters that do weird things. But this would be difficult.

I’m not saying this in regards to the Barbara Thomas case as too little information is known other than the husband is not considered a suspect at this time and no foul play is suspected (while I understand the investigation is ongoing and may turn up things that have yet to come to light).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  17. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

I agree.
    I've also thought multiple times in these 2 weeks...
    What if Abby and Libby or Lizzy and Lyric had survived and escaped?
    Would they have been believed?

I always go back to Denise. I was so relieved I was not adding on to those who didn't believe her.
    I don't know what happened out in Inyo County. I just know I wasn't there and I'm not seeing anything that is blatantly obvious that is worth bashing this family.
    That's just me though... I tend to err on the side of caution when bashing people.

18. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 Well-Known Member

Wonder if she did a rape test. Even a small contact, brushing up on or with a perp could lead to dna transfer. Or her clothes examined for non matching dna.
    Whatever. We’d be better off spending time advocating for spreading more safety tips in the wilderness. Reminding hikers to be prepared with essentials in the event of getting lost, injured or whatever could happen.
    I believe she said she saw overhead helicopters but couldn’t get their attention. A flare gun would have been helpful.
    I realize she stepped out of vehicle and husband was to turn vehicle around, come right back.
    When I was a kid, camping protocol always included a buddy system. Two together. Maybe I’m too safety conscious. I’m 65 now. But I always listen behind me when walking along ANYWHERE. If they are getting right behind me, I’ll stop and wait for them to pass me up. Look them right in the face. I’m not out at 2 in the am. Just common sense. And if I was in the wilderness, double up on safety. Open carry has a purpose. I’m not on a soap box advocating any policy. So please let’s not go there. I carry for safety. No fool will be wielding a knife in the face of a gun.

NervousNellie, Atrain18, osu and 3 others like this.
  19. TwoLea

TwoLea Active Member

Any updates on this? Whatever became of it?

20. NervousNellie

NervousNellie Well-Known Member

She was found safe.

wary likes this.