Found Alive CA - Sheryl Powell, 60, and dog, Grandview Campground, Inyo County, 12 July 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TatianaBarbie, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Hooray! Glad she was found. It says near where they found her dog. Doesn't sound like she was injured, just lost. Very excellent outcome!

2. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

Great news! This will show all the naysayers that people can get lost and there doesn’t always have to be a spouse or other person involved in the disappearance.

3. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

Hurray for all S&R groups!
    Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 5.31.28 PM.png

4. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

Update- 2:00pm- Missing hiker, Sheryl Powell was located alive by ground search team members near the Montenegro Springs area (below where her dog was located earlier today). Searchers describe her as resilient and strong but exhausted after being lost in an extremely remote area above Big Pine, CA.
    Mrs Powell was met at the Bishop Airport by ambulance and will be taken to the local hospital for medical clearance.

We are beyond grateful for the continued support from her family, local residents, visitors, and the media. We also cannot thank our assisting agencies enough for their amazingly hard work in difficult terrain throughout this 4-day search.

Inyo County Sheriff's Office

5. ClaireNC

ClaireNC Well-Known Member

6. Butterfly_Rises

Butterfly_Rises The truth will hurt, but the lies will kill you

OMG, A happy ending. Thank goodness for her.

7. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Armchair Detective

Oh my!!! I'm sitting here with happy tears streaming!!! Thank God!!!!!

8. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

Her dog is a hero! Because he was found, S&R began to search in the same area!

9. Butterfly_Rises

Butterfly_Rises The truth will hurt, but the lies will kill you

Next case I guess!!

10. Herat

Herat Way out West

Mono County is full of great places- have you been to Bodie? Mono Lake? Black Lake? Benton? June Lakes? Crowley Lake? Long Valley? Owens Gorge? Etc etc etc

roche.analisa and Steelslady like this.
  11. ZZbball22

ZZbball22 If we ignore the facts, we are blind. Goodbye WS

So from the sons statements in an interview. They arrived and pulled in face forward, liked the site, he left her near the road by the tree cover for shade. He then went forward, down hill, did a 5 point turn, only to reverse up the hill to the campsite? Can someone figure this out? He went down a hill, offroad, for 5 to 7 minutes to turn around but still ended up reversing up a hill, facing the same forward direction he started in?

Someone clear this up for me. I checked the location and it seems the map showed downhill away from the road. ?

Husband of camper who disappeared with small dog cleared by authorities

ETA-found safe while posting!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    roche.analisa and Flurries like this.
  12. tnith

tnith Well-Known Member

Wow, posted while the news of Sheryl being found was coming out. So glad she is going home and this family can move on now.

Black Canyon road dead ends well within this distance of the 'parking' site her husband claims Sheryl got out at.
    Supposing that she did not know there was another route and took it for the one they arrived, wondered where he'd gone and followed south to the Marble Canyon campsite at the juncture where Black canyon road veers east/north.
    If so, Sheryl may have realized that this wasn't White Mountain road and either chose to stay put, or return back to the dead end, or heaven forbid simply cross if she saw/heard a vehicle on White Mountain road across the ridge.

Had she chosen to follow Black canyon to it's source, she'd could be anywhere in the foothills between Zurich and Poleta (presuming no contact with others yet).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Steelslady, LAhiker and Suglo like this.
  13. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Context Matters.

Good thing you asked. I think we found a jumped-to conclusion.

The photo posted with the high-piled rocks and a jeep on the far side that almost looks like it's parked on the rocks? That is nearby but unrelated to this case -- posted to show the area. On THAT person's post they mention the campground being full during THEIR trip at some other time.

Then two posters mention it as fact so I'll quote them here so we can see if they had a different source for their claim:

I don't know if this is relevant in terms of where they might have preferred to camp, but it's definitely relevant to the likelihood that any campgrounders saw/heard anything helpful to the investigation.

In his (ostensible) situation I would initially assume my absent companion went to find a private potty spot for themselves, so I wouldn't even yell out or start looking for probably ten minutes. An hour can fly by in a situation with so many possibles, before it's even obvious there's any problem.

ETA never mind, she's been found, yay!!

wary and LadyL like this.
  14. Herat

Herat Way out West

Hallelujah!!!!!

Can’t wait to hear the story

15. tnith

tnith Well-Known Member

16. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

Update- 2:00pm- Missing hiker, Sheryl Powell was located alive by ground search team members near the Montenegro Springs area (below where her dog was located earlier today).

Inyo County Sheriff's Office

17. jollymon

jollymon New Member

18. ClaireNC

ClaireNC Well-Known Member

19. msphilosopher

msphilosopher Well-Known Member

Hoping she has a quick recovery! Poor mom :(

20. ZZbball22

ZZbball22 If we ignore the facts, we are blind. Goodbye WS

Nice.! A happy ending. I really wanna know what happened now. How and why she got so far away from the road. Maybe went exploring and got lost.? Could be a good lesson for everyone, myself included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.