Found Alive CA - Sheryl Powell, 60, and dog, Grandview Campground, Inyo County, 12 July 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TatianaBarbie, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herat

Herat Way out West

If daughter wasn't there, how would she know about footprints.

Did Dad photograph them and send them to her?

2. Herat

Herat Way out West

Yes, but not always on them when they "step of of the car to stand in the shade"

3. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

I didn't mean gone gone. I meant the time it took for him to reposition the vehicle - the time he was "gone" from her. BTW, husband said it could have been up to seven minutes that he was away from her.

lisa122473 and AnnaGrace like this.
  4. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

Joe Powell said he was gone for no more than seven minutes to move his car when his wife went missing.

"I came back over here and she was gone," he said on Sunday. "The only plausible explanation in my opinion is she was abducted."

Search for missing California camper enters fourth day

LAhiker, Jo in Calif, Creole and 5 others like this.
  5. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

6. Herat

Herat Way out West

How much do you want to bet she "left her cellphone in the car" as she got out to get into the shade.

7. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Well-Known Member

It was the daughter's brother Greg who said that when the campground was searched all that was left was her footprints. I don't know where he got that information from but i don't think it has been stated anywhere else, certainly not by LE.

roche.analisa, LAhiker, tnith and 2 others like this.
  8. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

Husband had to use a satellite device to call for help. Sounds like there's no cell reception there anyhow.

sassyblue and AnnaGrace like this.
  9. Elliot_Alderson

Elliot_Alderson Well-Known Idiot

Right, but I'd still be interested to know the cell phone data from throughout 24/48 hours leading up to this event. Could be something eye opening in there.

10. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

Do satellite phones have tracking info that can be retrieved?

11. Elliot_Alderson

You're probably spot on. There will be some sort of excuse, JMO.

12. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

That's what's so frustrating for me - the stuff on SM versus stuff from LE. I try not to listen to things that aren't put out by LE but it's so tempting to listen to SM. Sometimes LE ends up confirming but the lag time is irritating.

13. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

Yes

bowler, AnnaGrace and Gardenista like this.
  14. Herat

Herat Way out West

Here's a youtube video about the drive from Big Pine, CA to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest Shulman Grove and Patriot Grove areas.

It's VERY fast-paced, and you have to stop it to try to examine it. Big Pine is not usually a place where you would gas up. If you are driving from SoCal, you usually do Lone Pine or Bishop. The turnoff to Grandview Campground is about 1:35 as far as I can tell.

There is an entrance kiosk just after the turn off of Highway 160 where you turn on to White Mountain Road. It has a stop sign. However, I would be very skeptical that is was manned at the time the Powell's would have driven through, and I'm quite sure there is no camera there. Federal budget cuts have severely impacted staffing for our wonderful national parks, monuments, wildlife, and recreation areas and I think all the park personnel are now up at Shulman Grove Visitor Center.

15. mrs_peel

mrs_peel Member

If I were her husband and I wanted to light a fire under LE, I would immediately volunteer to take a lie detector test. Have they said how the husband has been "ruled out as a suspect"?

16. Herat

Herat Way out West

They haven't officially called it a crime, yet, have they?

I mean, they have the husband's statement and supposedly some footprints. Her footprints could have been made by her boots without her in them.

How about the dog's pawprints?

And nothing else.

17. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

LAhiker, LadyL, j_in_c and 3 others like this.
  18. Elliot_Alderson

Ruled out as a subject for a crime that didn't happen? I guess if that's what LE says I can't fault them. Certainly seems like anytime I give a spouse the benefit of the doubt here it ends up burning me in the end.

19. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

I know this is a repeat but (MOO) - I think the theory that someone was lying in wait, in the middle of nowhere, to pick up a 60 yr old woman and her dog while her husband parks the car nearby, completes the whole thing without leaving a trace in 600 seconds is ludicrous.

LE is very appropriately (I am sure) looking at the last verified, independent sighting of this woman and her dog and investigating friends and family very carefully.

To get away on her own she would have needed to break out in a sprint as soon as she left the car and made her way carrying a lam dog to the nearest rd to hitch-hike out of there or had a person/ride propositioned.

20. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

Creole, lisa122473, Dre and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.