Found Alive CA - Sheryl Powell, 60, and dog, Grandview Campground, Inyo County, 12 July 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TatianaBarbie, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocket

rocket Pluviophile

Exactly.

Dre likes this.

2. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

wary, maine2016, Noharg and 4 others like this.
  3. muppethead

muppethead Well-Known Member

That is what gives me pause also. If she was abducted, why would they also take the dog and would it not be barking like crazy? Why would there not be signs of a struggle? Could she have slipped and slid down a hill and then been buried by rocks? Do the mines go under that area where the ground could have given way? Otherwise it really does not look good for the husband. MOO.

roche.analisa, LAhiker, wary and 10 others like this.
  4. osu

osu Well-Known Member

From your link:
    “Greg Powell, the couple's son, said his parents have been happily married for 42 years. " I think the last time they got in a fight I was like 9 or 10 years old," he said.”

5. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 Well-Known Member

LE dogs? Tracking her scent? By now cadaver dogs. LE REALLY needs to get it right away when someone says disappeared. Even if she walked off and lost? What are they waiting for?
    Utah college student and Connecticut mother of 5 great examples of getting right on it.
    Praying for the best, fearing for the worst.

roche.analisa, LAhiker, wary and 6 others like this.
  6. cryscrys

cryscrys Well-Known Member

The part that I find most concerning is that they "drove a mile away to find a secluded camp spot". This would make it so that most likely nobody would have seen them. ( Did anyone see you and her here? Well No, we drove about a mile out of the way to find a secluded spot) I won't say more sitting on hands. JMO

7. Elliot_Alderson

Elliot_Alderson Well-Known Idiot

Hoverboard, MOO.

8. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

I’m NOT buying an abduction theory. I too think it’s a lot more likely there was an accident and she got turned around and is lost and injured somewhere, hopefully still alive due to her experience in the wilderness.
    Or it’s the other theory that her family and police have disregarded so quickly..

Also agree with SAR dogs in the woods ASAP and then cadaver dogs in the car or in their house just in case...

9. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

An hour is a long time out there before calling for help IMO. I don't think this will have a good outcome for anyone.

10. Elliot_Alderson

You're right, I think it just says that the couple's son said that LE is investigating his dad and his parent's friends, but not that the friends were with them.

11. Herat

Herat Way out West

Supposedly the Grandview Campground was full, so there would be lots of footprints and I don't think you could determine which were hers.

I also find it very odd that they were able to find her footprints apparently at the Grandview Mine area, but can't determine where they led - or if the dog's were with hers. It's just so convenient that everyone knew what her footprints looked like, what boots/shoes she was wearing......

This bothers me. A LOT

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    roche.analisa, wary, frisson and 8 others like this.
  12. JC40

JC40 Well-Known Member

Ok, but where's his concern about what she maybe going through?
    He has gave up very easy imo. Why doesn't he (or LE) make a plea for her safe return if she has been "abducted"

13. Elliot_Alderson

I was thinking this same exact thing a few minutes ago. They are talking about how the only thing they could find at the scene were her footprints but it's not like they're crime scene techs or anything like that.

14. jashrema

jashrema Verified insider - Sierah Joughin case

This just makes me more leery. As a few days have gone by, the stories are changing. Not dramatically, just a little here and there. True, the children are just parroting what their father has told them.
    A few minutes...to 5 min...to 7 minutes. Take the dog to pee, not take the dog to pee...waiting outside the car, waiting in the shade...subtle, but there.

15. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Medical Anthropologist

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this story, but the Inyo County Sheriff's Department is into the 3rd day (I believe) of a search for a missing Huntington Beach woman, Sheryl Powell. Sheryl was camping with her husband near Grandview Campground, which is east of the Bishop area. Sheriff is seeking input from the public in this mysterious case.

Mrs Powell was camping with her husband in a spot 1 mile from the actual campground. There's dispersed camping up there and from the SAR pictures it looks to be a dirt road. She got out of the car to allow their dog to pee and was to stand in the shade, according to the husband, while he turned their car around to be facing out the road. 5 minutes later, he could not see her. He searched for an hour before using his satellite phone to contact police.

There have been 17 SAR personnel plus support personnel, and a helicopter (with thermocam) searching for at least 2 days. According to family, she was an experienced hiker, would not have just walked off in that brief time, and the couple is happily married. Mountain lion and abduction seem to be the theories, but mountain lion seems unlikely as both woman and dog (4 lb yorki-poo, I believe) are missing. No signs of them.

Inyo County Sheriff's Office

is a good summary, with various pictures of the woman and the general area.

borndem and cat28 like this.
  16. jashrema

jashrema Verified insider - Sierah Joughin case

Now it's "I came back over here?"

From where? Where did he go that he had to "come back over here?" Subtle changes

17. cryscrys

cryscrys Well-Known Member

Uggh I keep trying to come up with an innocent reason but I just keep coming up with more suspicions . Re-positioned vehicle for what reason? Where could he have gone that would take 7 minutes driving? Think about it...I live 2.4 miles from work and it takes me 7 minutes. JMO

18. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Well-Known Member

Exactly - if his story is true then she might still be lying somewhere alive and injured having fallen down a mine shaft or crevice. Why the constant pushing of her being abducted by the family? Where is his concern for her welfare? Actions always speak louder than words.

19. Herat

Herat Way out West

Here's what doesn't work for me.

They've driven 5+ hours from Huntington Beach. She gets out to "get in the shade". Don't you think both she and the dog would have taken a quick pee break before setting up camp. Even if they stopped on the way, the dog most certainly would have.

So why can't LE pick up any scent of them?

And I presume Daughter and Son Greg dont live with their 60 year old parents. So clearly LE is looking at documentation of when she was last sighted. Greg should be very very concerned that LE hasn't found any trace of her at the Grandview site, and are clearly not convinced of his father's story, so they are resorting to looking for other documentation of her whereabouts.

roche.analisa, ninij9, osu and 6 others like this.
  20. GordianKnot

GordianKnot New(ish) Member

Search for missing California camper enters fourth day

SABBM:

Authorities said the case is both an active search and rescue and an active investigation, as they look into how Powell disappeared.

"At this time we don't have like any proven suspects and we don't have evidence to point directly to criminal activity, but we're looking at all possibilities," said Sgt. Nathaniel Derr, a search and rescue coordinator with Inyo County Sheriff's Office.

I find the language being used by LE here both interesting and suggestive, i.e, Sgt. Derr stating they don't have any "proven" suspects and/or evidence to point "directly" to criminal activity.

It is is also clearly stated that they are looking at all possibilities, which implies that no scenario has been ruled out at this point.

As we all know too well, LE saying they don't have suspects doesn't mean that they don't suspect anybody.

JMO.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.