https://tinyurl.com/vgzuyp5

Found Alive CA - Sheryl Powell, 60, and dog, Grandview Campground, Inyo County, 12 July 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TatianaBarbie, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nina318

nina318 Well-Known Member

LOL - full moon - very possible. :)

2. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

RSBM

I agree with other posters who've noted such a rural police department wouldn't have a sketch artist on staff. That's an urban police techique.

The nearest community to this incident is 16 miles away, has a population of less than 2000 and no news outlet, so who's going to publish the sketch and how would potential eyewitnesses even see it?

They've released a verbal description: under 6 feet, 180 pounds, bald/shiny head, dark eyes, brown eyebrows, white male but with tanned skin, potentially with a Southern accent, around 50 years old, no visible tattoos, stocky, dark colored backpack, dark green button up shirt with long sleeves, dark colored pants, armed with a 6-8 inch bladed knife with a dark colored handle.

The press release is on their news release page: Media & Press Releases | Inyo County Sheriff's Office

3. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

People have posted that their funds have been refunded and the daughter posted on the site proof that she had requested the funds be returned.

4. glassheater

glassheater Well-Known Member

There are many things about this case mentioned upthread that have me a bit skeptical. My question is, what usually happens next? If this was a made up scenario, will investigators be able to prove it? Will this eventually fade away?

The biggest thing that bothers me about this case is the perp. I may be reading it wrong but he seemed like more of an afterthought to SP. And yes I’m inserting myself in someone else’s shoes but I would like to think that if someone threatened my dog’s life and my life with a knife and threats of murder and rape, I would be more insistent that a killer is out there and that he be caught. I’m very curious to know if she asked to speak to LE ASAP about this guy. No doubt I would be glad to be home, but I would worry the next person wouldn’t get so lucky. JMO

5. gitana1

It doesn't take hours or days. It takes seconds. She requested the refunds, it was automatic and then the page was closed.

I saw the proof with my own eyes. This is a non-issue IMO.

6. Handsome Sailor

Handsome Sailor Seize the day!

Good catch, Gitana! They're a really likable family. I share many of their passions, specifically the love of the outdoors. The site they chose to camp made me envious - high up, great views. The pictures I've seen of them as a younger family bring a smile to my face. That's why the inconsistencies are troubling to me.

7. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I expanded all of the comments at this link and searched for the word refund. No one said they had been refunded.

8. Recidivist

Recidivist Well-Known Member

Thank you. I believe you. You seem so fair and unbiased, I think you would make a great Judge.

9. gitana1

Yeah. I'm with you. I note the inconsistencies and strange things that don't make sense about this case. But not everything is an issue.

Also, I hike in areas with no bathrooms and depending on where another person is standing they can certainly see most of you, if you know what I mean, when you're female.

It's a vulnerable and exposed position.

10. gitana1

That's a really nice compliment!

I try but lawyer's are sort of trained. We are forced to look at all sides in law school. If you can't get over bias it can be hard to get through law school, pass the bar or practice efficiently.

11. Handsome Sailor

Handsome Sailor Seize the day!

The Man with the Knife's appearance and attack at almost the same time of the Powell's arrival at the site is the most improbable of events, and yet....yet....there's a small part of my mind and thinking, a small voice speaking to me, constantly repeating "What if Sheryl is telling the truth?"

12. chlban

chlban Well-Known Member

I assume you are not a dog person? Threatening my dog would be just as terrifying to me as threatening me. That part of the story I find quite possible. It is the rest of the story and the family insisting that it was an abduction right away, that I have issues with.

roche.analisa, Cool Cats, osu and 3 others like this.
  13. callyn

callyn Well-Known Member

And/or to convey what put such fear into his mother.

14. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

One thing that really bothers me is that when she was first missing the daughter said her mom's footprints had been found.This sounds like an isolated place so why was their no mention of other footprints being found?He's described as a large man so they should be very different from Sheryl's.

15. callyn

callyn Well-Known Member

While you're still standing up and undo your pants and push down before you squat. That would be the only time that area would be visible. It would be a very fast look though.

16. TTF14

TTF14 Spaceship Headlight Pattern Expert

I've no personal experience with the site, but I would imagine it takes a while to process all the refunds. I have no doubts they've requested this and it's in the works.

But I still don't believe the story.

17. TTF14

I see what you're saying. But. LE's silence speaks volumes here. If there was a crazed lunatic wanting to rape women on the loose.....wouldn't they be frantically trying to find him while warning the public???

It is NOT because they don't care about rape victims. It's because they think he's fictional, in my opinion.

18. sumzero

sumzero Well-Known Member

Plus, this man supposedly wears button-up, long-sleeved shirts and pants in the middle of nowhere with the temperature in the 80s. I'd think he'd look rather out of place, if someone were to see him.

19. TTF14

In the hospital bed pic she was wearing a somewhat baggy Tshirt (inside out).....not a tight tank top or something. You'd think the T would cover anything unless she purposefully hiked it up (possible)..... I'm totally not buying the story that this crazed man made THOSE comments and I have no clue why her ER doctor son would even say that. It disturbs me. Surely a doctor should have more discernment.

20. Sunnymicki

Sunnymicki Well-Known Member

So I just watched the Today show interview and I truly believe she gives it away here in her (first?) and very early morning interview. I think this is actually the accurate story and in her exhaustion, she forgot to tell the made up part. Her narrative when telling this flows much more easily than when she is recounting details of the "attack."

California woman who went missing on camping trip says she was fleeing attacker

"I was just going to go off for a few minutes with my dog while my husband was turning around the car to park it in the right position and we were going to get all set up for camping.

And I wanted to see what was around us, I love to hike and I was just trying to check out the wilderness and see what was in front of me and what options we had and where'd we head out.

And it turned into a little bit more than a quick check out of the area.
    Didn't know it would last four days but I'm back."

My theory: She just walked too far into the wilderness and got lost, plain and simple. Whether it was because she and her husband had a fight and she stormed off and couldn't find her way back, who knows.

I lean towards this fight theory because it seems likely that the husband was gone with the car for longer than he admits. You can see from a picture of the site that if he was just turning around, he could have used the road in view that was somewhat perpendicular to the site - just drive out onto the road and pull right back in. No reason to drive down said road. And if he was only gone a few minutes, she wouldn't have been too far to hear him yelling for her. (Or she heard him, but thought she was fine to make it back on her own, so ignored him to teach him a lesson? Of course this is pure speculation.)

More speculating: He didn't admit the fight because how terrible would that sound to drive off and leave your wife and dog at the campsite alone - and come back and find them gone? And she didn't admit to the fight because 1) she doesn't want to embarrass her husband and 2) she left the campsite and got lost (and maybe ignored his calling for her before she realized she wouldn't be able to find her way back?).

I think the predator theory was invented because she was too embarrassed to tell her family that she walked away from the site and got disoriented. And in the nervousness of being interviewed on national TV, she accidentally told the real story until Savannah Guthrie reminded her of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.