https://tinyurl.com/vgzuyp5

Found Alive CA - Sheryl Powell, 60, and dog, Grandview Campground, Inyo County, 12 July 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TatianaBarbie, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I would find that plausible except her condition and the dog's condition. She was "resilient and strong" when found. Exhausted and dehydrated but clearly she was able to do more than "scoot" as they earlier stated. And the dog looked great. After four days of no food and only some stagnant water part of the time as I doubt the water source travelled with them as they wandered for three nights.

Her story about surviving on a water source she found and cacti (which doesn't appear to be in season), with no equipment or fire, sounds suspiciously (to me) similar to Amanda Eller's amazing story of heroism and resilience.

But it also doesn't make sense. Especially given how great this 60 year old woman looked and seemed upon rescue.

And the odd insistence by the kids immediately that their mom had been abducted in that remote area in the five minutes her husband was gone, without him hearing or seeing anything.

Those parts of the case are what makes me think it might not have just been a story given to hide a mistake.

But I don't know anything for sure.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

Very good catch, Sunnymicki, about the narrative flow and how it changes when prompted to insert the attack portion. It's like she forgot all about it. I also was leaning towards a domestic spat that accidentally spun out of control type of theory. My speculation is that all parties were embarrassed by the circumstances and the attack story is a way to save face. MOO.

3. gitana1

At first I thought she had to be running with her dog in her arms or by the leash. Many people felt that would make it improbable for her to be able to get away from a man.

Then she clarified that her dog just trailed after her as she ran in a panic. So she wasn't protecting her dog or that frightened of her dog being harmed.

I skeptically wonder if comments are made to address things people are saying online.

But clearly she wasn't afraid for her dog if she took off without him.

4. Jo in Calif

Jo in Calif Well-Known Member

5. gitana1

I can 100% verify that this is untrue. Everything shows unless you're wearing a super long shirt that brushes almost to the ground when squatting.

I have hiked for years with my ex in places without access to the bathroom. (We are still family and hike together, etc.). We don't go far off the trail much due to fear of snakes and poison oak. But we are also always worried that a bike rider will whip around the corner and catch one of us like that. Embarrassing! So we joke about it and have both seen each other on numerous occasions.

We are both female.

6. gitana1

Sorry to quote myself but in an earlier version she said: "She managed to wrestle free of his grip and run. She ran fast and far, carrying Miley under her arm."

A Woman Missing in the White Mountains Was Finally Rescued

It doesn't escape my notice that the account changed after people wondered how she could escape a large man while carrying her lame dog. Now the account is the lame dog was "hot on her heels".

7. Herat

Herat Way out West

My thoughts are very much along the line of SunnyMicki's explanation.

But this kind of behavior reminds me of a small child caught doing something wrong who makes up a fantastic story, or someone in the early, undiagnosed stages of dementia or other organic brain disease where they confabulate stories to cover things they can't remember. The family needs to get her to a neurologist to get checked out, IMHO

Let's remember the very first one who mentioned an abduction was the husband, on that Saturday she went missing, when he was first speaking to LE. It was an obtuse conclusion, I thought. He must have then mentioned it to her family, who, understandably came unglued at this possibility. They need to sort this all out.

This could explain why LE has been essentially silent on the search for her abductor. Because someone from the family called to discuss it and admit there was no man with a knife? In that case, it would be graceful for LE to slowly back away and not make an APB about the missing would-be rapist.

And IF this is the situation, then someone from that family needs to make a statement about it publicly and have some type of public apology. Embarrassing, yes, but that would be the mature and forthright thing to do. "My wife had an undiagnosed medical condition which caused her to become disoriented".... sort of stuff.

I really don't think there's an intentional hoax, because I don't get the motive for it. He's supposed to be a professional, and they have educated children with reputations to uphold. I guess we'll see if they sell their story to People or more entertainment media.

8. Herat

Herat Way out West

And this is why you learn, when traveling in some foreign countries, using buses for long trips, you wear a long skirt like local women do so that when you have a restroom break, you can head to the ladies side and pee discretely and modestly under your skirt.

9. callyn

callyn Well-Known Member

We all squat in our own way. lol
    My pants hide
    the crucial area from the front. and from the rear - just moon.

10. Herat

Herat Way out West

Hmm, a lot of shifting her eyes as she is telling her story, not looking directly at the interviewer.

Her husband looks like he is listening to someone describe the computation of new electric rates.

11. osu

osu Well-Known Member

At the end of the one morning show interview, I found SP’s reaction strange when the newscaster said something about Miley being the hero by leading SAR to SP, and SP almost seemed surprised by that statement like it hadn’t occurred to her before that.

I guess Miley technically didn’t lead them to her, but by finding Miley first it then put them in her general location.

JMO

12. Cool Cats

Cool Cats COLUMBO "One more thing" MONK "A jungle out there"

This is a great post thankx. :D Also she told her kids at first that she thought he was chasing her and she ran down a hill. No mention of the other things as you wisely point out (The made up part) Bravo! ;)

13. Sunnymicki

Sunnymicki Well-Known Member

Those are all really good points. And I have no answers lol.

14. Sunnymicki

Sunnymicki Well-Known Member

I heard the dog running behind her explanation as well. And it set off a red flag right away, because her children, when pushing the abduction theory, early on made the point that the dog had a bad leg and could not have run off on its own (hence Sheryl would not have gotten lost trying to chase said dog).

15. book-thinker

book-thinker Well-Known Member

In the video she looks remarkable healthy
    for being lost in the high desert/ mountains for days. It does not appear she suffered from sunburn damage, cracked or chapped lips. Especially at night the wind is blowing in your face causing your face to become red and chapped.

She is giving interviews at a coffee shop days after beings rescue.
    She should’ve emphasize there is a sexual deviant lurking around the campgrounds and request LE to investigate further.

16. gitana1

Yup. That too.

17. gitana1

Except she totally said that the dog purposefully led the rescuers to her:

"In the end, it was Miley who saved Sheryl's life. The two were separated, but Miley sought out rescuers and led them to Sheryl, she said.

"She was coming my way and they just let her lead the way to me," said Sheryl. "[I felt] unbelievable relief.""
    Inside the Harrowing 4 Days California Mom Was Lost in the Woods

18. Handsome Sailor

Handsome Sailor Seize the day!

I noticed Sheryl kept her hands on Miley during the interview. No eye contact between the family. Sheryl seemed loopy, but maybe that is her manner. As an aside, someone should have told Farrah to button up that shirt!

roche.analisa, LadyL and LAhiker like this.
  19. cricket49

cricket49 Loving Life!

Book thinker, I tried to highlight your post. SP face looked remarkably good after such an ordeal.

Before the family deleted their pages a person who researched wilderness survivor situations mentioned that SP looked nothing like someone lost for four days with limited water and food. The son and his gf got real defensive.

Remember the woman who was lost in Hawaii? Her face looked bad from dehydration and weight loss even though she found plenty of water and ate limited food. She was also lost in a tropical setting not a desert.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  20. cricket49

cricket49 Loving Life!

Agree.
    Like opinions we are all different squatters. :D

Depends on many factors. I am same size as SP and as dh says "closer to the ground". Also the pants or shorts you wear make a difference. You find out the ones you struggle to pull up fast
    especially when sweating. Always hikers or people coming by so you learn to be fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.