Found Alive CA - Sheryl Powell, 60, and dog, Grandview Campground, Inyo County, 12 July 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TatianaBarbie, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowler

bowler Well-Known Member

Sounding more and more like she and pup were never there?
    Are her "things" in the Jeep?
    If he ran over her where did he put her?

2. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

Yes. And LE is interviewing their friends so they can tell what her favorite color is and what dessert she likes the best.

roche.analisa, LAhiker, wary and 4 others like this.
  3. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

Well, husband has already set up the situation to find her in one of the nearby mine shafts.......

4. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

I don’t think he ran her over... I think that would have been made clear pretty early on. Certainly the dogs would have hit on the tires/outside of the car and there would likely be blood. Also hitting and killing both of them would be somewhat difficult unless he was driving at a high speed and then even more likely for blood evidence..

5. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

I guess LE will need to play along with searching for her "abductor" and finding her body before they can search the vehicle GPS, the phones, his computer.

6. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

What if rather than being abducted, Sheryl pre-planned to meet up with someone and disappear with them?

7. jashrema

jashrema Verified insider - Sierah Joughin case

Having been part of a missing persons investigation, I hate to say it, but there was SO much erroneous reporting. Things being credited to LE, that weren't officially said by LE. Quotes that were actually misquoted.

This article is the only one that I can find that quotes an actual LE employee ""At this time we don't have like any proven suspects and we don't have evidence to point directly to criminal activity, but we're looking at all possibilities," said Sgt. Nathaniel Derr, a search and rescue coordinator with Inyo County Sheriff's Office."

The other article posted, just said "authorities" ruled him out as suspect, no quote and there has been no PC from LE saying that. Plus, directly under that statement in article, son is quoted as saying "obviously, they are not pursuing my dad". It seems that the son probably told the reporter that they have ruled his dad out, so I'm not putting any eggs in that basket until LE comes out and says so. Not to mention that the son, in previous posts, was frustrated that LE was wasting time looking at the actions of his dad because they had a great marriage.

I hope they find her alive. I hope they find she fell or something. But I'm also getting the impression that the kids are STRONGLY pushing the abduction story and going a bit rogue from LE because they HAVE to believe that. Otherwise, they would have to believe that their dad may know something. Kids have created a missing poster that says "ABDUCTION" on it. That poster wasn't released by LE.

8. otto

otto Verified Expert

Why did the husband drop off the experienced hiker and then take 5 minutes to park the car? Couldn't the experienced hiker walk from the car to where she was dropped off?

9. Elliot_Alderson

Elliot_Alderson Well-Known Idiot

The husband had made claim in one of the above articles that he and his wife are avid hikers and go hiking up to "24 miles a week". That doesn't sound to me like she's the type of person who is going to vanish without a trace just from walking from her car to the shade (though accidents do happen). On the more nefarious tip, if they go hiking that much then I'd say he's aware of some pretty remote areas to hide things that need to be hidden, MOO.

10. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

Did LE find her cell phone in the car where one would expect it to be?

Why then would the husband concoct this "abduction" scheme and risk being charged with filing a false police report to cover a wife's infidelity?

And where's the dog?

11. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

Interesting theory! it’s possible... but she would be risking ruining her husbands life out of suspicion of guilt for her disappearance and surely breaking her children’s hearts at the same time.. seems less likely but heck! It’s been done before!

12. zebrock

zebrock New Member

Newest update from INYO Sheriff 24 min ago:
    Missing Camper, Day Four

GRANDVIEW CAMPGROUND, CA. July 15, 2019 – Today is day four of a massive multiagency search for missing camper, Sheryl Powell. Powell and her small 5-pound dog were reported missing by her husband on July 12 from the Grandview Campground in the Bristlecone Pine Forest area. After selecting a remote campsite, Sheryl Powell (a 60 year old woman from Huntington Beach) exited the vehicle to take the dog out for a bathroom break while Mr. Powell re-positioned their Jeep. Mr. Powell could not locate Mrs. Powell or their dog once he parked the Jeep. After searching for almost an hour, Mr. Powell alerted law enforcement through his satellite device.
    Mrs. Powell is described as an experienced hiker – she is 5’3”, 120 pounds, brown hair, and brown eyes. The small dog has a red leash and is black/white.
    Inyo Search and Rescue and Inyo Sheriff began searching immediately after receiving the notification on July 12. Searching continued on July 13 and 14 with trained search and rescue teams assisting from throughout California*. In addition to ground search teams, dog teams have also been deployed to the area, and aerial reconnaissance has been provided Naval Air out of Lemoore, CHP-Inland Division Air Operations (equipped with a FLIR device in order to detect thermal imaging), CHP-Central Division Air Operations, and California National Guard.
    Challenges include multiple gullies, shale slopes, low shade, direct sun, and rattlesnakes. Grandview Campground is located at 8,600 feet and is the closest campground to the ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.
    The investigations portion of the Powell search continues; Sheriff’s Investigations have determined that Mr. Powell is not connected to Mrs. Powell’s disappearance. The family has been, and continues to be, extremely cooperative.
    Please contact the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office at (760) 878-0383, option 4 if you have any information that can assist in locating missing camper, Sheryl Powell.

*List of assisting search groups: Inyo SAR, Mono SAR, China Lake Mountain Rescue Group, Fresno SAR, Riverside SAR, Tulare SAR, El Dorado SAR, Mariposa SAR, Los Angeles Sheriff’s Office/Antelope Valley SAR, San Diego Mountain Rescue Team, Southern-Kern County SAR, Sierra Madre SAR, Placer County SAR, CA Rescue Dog Association.

13. bowler

bowler Well-Known Member

Do you think their home already has LE in it?
    Someone met them/him there and took her/her body away??

roche.analisa and Dre like this.
  14. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

And he's actually chosen a fairly remote one. But there are many more remote areas farther east of that location.

And I just think it's a bit too convenient that she has gone missing in an area with lots of mines that are a bit hard to get to.

That's why LE needs to get ahold of the car's GPS. There are several other mines in the area not along that Grandview Road. He'd have to come up with the abduction story if she was found in a mine clearly not within walking distance.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  15. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

reminds me a bit of the CO man who killed his wife by shoving her off a cliff... there are very few explanations for this - she went missing on her own, he disappeared her, she got lost in 5-7 minutes and is out there with the dog - or she was never in the car at the campground - I don't think I have read where people are saying they saw them together right? And LE can't do anything other than search for her ? I wonder if they have a ring doorbell and both of them left the house at the same time, together?

16. otto

otto Verified Expert

Exactly. It doesn't make any sense that he dropped her off and parked the vehicle a few minutes away. It's not like she was disabled or didn't want to get dust on her shoes. She's an avid hiker who presumably can walk 2-3 minutes from where the car is parked to the trail head.

17. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

Agreed. Yes, it has happened.

We've seen several cases of adults going voluntarily missing recently on WS, so that hasn't been ruled out in my mind at all, either.

Not the likeliest scenario by any stretch, but possible?

Certainly.

JMO.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  18. etpooms

etpooms Member

Or by accident, but mine shaft or vent seems possible.

roche.analisa and LAhiker like this.
  19. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

In my scenario the husband wouldn't be aware of his wife's plan. The dog would be with Sheryl and her friend. This theory is taking into account that the husband has been cleared.

20. HalesNTX

HalesNTX Verified Family Member of Mark Lawrence Ashland

So LE has definitively determined that her husband is not connected to her disappearance. I wonder how they have come to that conclusion?

roche.analisa, osu, gitana1 and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.