Found Alive CA - Sheryl Powell, 60, and dog, Grandview Campground, Inyo County, 12 July 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TatianaBarbie, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryLamb

MaryLamb Well-Known Member

When the husband parked a mile away from the campground, there were no witnesses to observe what happened. Did anyone see Mrs. Powell riding in the vehicle into the campground or get out of the car? The area is pretty open with brush and short scrubby trees. Even if the dog took off with its gimpy leg and she went after it, if she got lost, all she had to do was yell. How far could a 5 pound dog go anyway? I don’t like this at all. The scenario of abduction proposed by the husband seems unlikely. And children don’t always know what is going on with their parents.

roche.analisa, LAhiker, osu and 8 others like this.
  2. Knox

Knox #justiceforMoni ~

Wow, just reading up on this case. Do you all think an abduction could occur in that rough terrain so quickly? I mean wouldn't the husband see a dust trail if a vehicle were used. Even if abducted on foot and taken to a vehicle, wouldn't she have screamed? How could the abductor also get the dog to come along? It hasn't been found right?

The details of this case don't make sense in terms of an abduction. Do we know if Sheryl was really at this campsite?

roche.analisa, LAhiker, LadyL and 6 others like this.
  3. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

I'm not at all convinced that LE has arrived at that conclusion.

LE is good at holding their cards close to the vest...especially when they don't want to show opponents their hand.

JMO.

4. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

I agree. I’m still looking for a definitive quote from LE that is stating he’s been cleared..
    just because reporters say it because the son did does not mean it’s the reality..

5. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

I don't conclude that at all. This is a pretty standard LE statement. If they are still saying it in 2 weeks I might believe it.

Or if she is found alive.

6. Kelly712

Kelly712 New Member

The story is so odd for a cover-up... If he's covering up something, why not just say she went to use the bathroom and never came back.

7. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

As the children would likely be in their mid to late 30's, they likely were not there when the couple left for the White Mountains, presumably July 12 am.

So when was the last time the daughter and son saw or spoke to their mother? Maybe Dad was the one who told them about plans to visit the area, not Mom.

8. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Armchair Detective

Same here, not a camper.

But an hour...60 minutes....long time IMO.

Also...I believe I read a post earlier that said the husband had a sattelite phone, so would not have had to leave the area to call.

MOO

roche.analisa, ClaireNC and Dre like this.
  9. Knox

Knox #justiceforMoni ~

The kids came out really quickly with the "perfect married couple" statement. That caught my attention right away. Doesn't mean I think he killed her, but the details of her disappearance are very unusual, and four days later she hasn't been found. I thought perhaps a mountain lion attack, but there would be evidence of that.

If these are the pictures of the area they were in, it looks kind of like a box canyon? But someone in another post said there were four ways in/out.
    Inyo County Sheriff's Office

10. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

ITA - even if he turned over his cell phone (and hers presumably) the satellite phone, the vehicle, etc. I don't see how they can clear anyone within this timeframe IMO.
    Sheryl Powell Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Thermal imaging used right away (helicopter) - how could they miss her then?

11. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I don't find it odd that she exited the vehicle, with the dog, while the husband parked the car in a more strategic location. Not at a camp site. This seems normal to me. Also seems normal that he waited to call for help after looking himself after an hour. Most people do not immediately call LE, in most cases you are going to find the person and have a story to laugh about later.

I do not however believe there was foul play, based on the husband's recount of events, in the 5-7 minutes that he was distracted with parking the vehicle. I cannot buy into the theory that someone with ill intentions abducted her. That that moment/scenario was the perfect opportunity and they just happened to be there or was lying in wait.

To a degree, this is an ideal situation for a SAR operation. They know the PLS but there has not been any leads, evidence of anything, at least noted by LE.

In these cases, I personally overlook non-witness released information. In this case, it's the children. They mean well but are putting out a ton of confusing information. They are rightfully frantic but they are just not a good source of info right now.

If she was indeed at the campsite, and she did exit the vehicle like stated, did the dog run off (there was some chatter that the dog was lame, not sure how mobile he/she is) and she gave chase and got lost? Was she injured so severely that she could not respond to searchers or her husbands calls? Not sure of her state of mind - did she leave on her own accord and just keep walking, keeping pace? Don't know yet.

I can see the Missing 411 nonsense starting to creep into the case on-line and I despise it.

This case is interesting and I'm hoping for a positive outcome but I'm not sure that will happen.

12. Elliot_Alderson

Elliot_Alderson Well-Known Idiot

People like to come up with more specific things when lying as they think it makes their lie more believable.

roche.analisa, LAhiker, LadyL and 9 others like this.
  13. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

Yes. It fails the test because it is too conveniently specific. And LE has found no trace or scent that she or the dog were there.

The footprints. The story. He searched the area and is left to conclude..... she was.....abducted?

That is a really remote area. We haven't heard that there was anyone really near where this event is alleged to have occurred. Why conclude she was abducted? Why not conclude she was grabbed by a mountain lion?

roche.analisa, LAhiker, osu and 6 others like this.
  14. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

Yep, yep, yep

15. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Context Matters.

To be fair, there have been two quite plausible explanations proffered for why she might exit the car while he moved/parked the car. First to let the dog go potty, and second so she could get in the shade.

No one has suggested that the walk from the car to campsite was too far for her to walk. In fact, if we can assume that their camping gear (folding chairs, tent, cooler/food, cooking things etc) were still in the car, then it's a reasonable assumption that he didn't park far from the site, and we would expect that both of them would be walking back and forth from the vehicle multiple times as they set up. Otherwise I would expect them to unload their camp gear first before parking any distance away.

The only one we've been told had any trouble walking was the dog.

His parking could just have been positioning, like in a spot that would have been (then or shortly afterward) in the shade. Perhaps they were planning to sleep in the vehicle so positioning was important for comfort? Do we know if they had a tent or were planning on car camping?

The lesser time and distance his positioning drive was, the hinkier this sounds. Unless it was abduction after all -- alien abduction!

16. msphilosopher

msphilosopher Well-Known Member

According to her son, she had a bum leg and couldn’t run.

Mentioned In this article within the embedded fb post. Massive search for California woman, dog who vanished near campground as husband parked

17. jashrema

jashrema Verified insider - Sierah Joughin case

Exactly. Kids have been very vocal about their frustration that LE is not taking the abduction scenario seriously. Latest statement posted from LE does not even address possible abduction AT ALL.
    How can someone be "cleared" when a criminal investigation has not even been opened? To do that, the site would have to be blocked off as a crime scene, forensic teams would have to appear and do their jobs, BCI, FBI, whatever.
    Has anyone seen where INYO has called in ANY other LE teams? FBI, BCI, other departments? Anything?

In Ce's case, Josh was cleared almost immediately because he was with other people at a different location. A lot of witnesses.
    I don't see where anyone can actually clear him from doing anything because he places himself, and only himself, at the "scene" where she disappeared.
    The kids insisting that her footprints were there is, I'm sorry, ludicrous. Were casts made? Did a forensic team say that those were her footprints? Where did the footprints lead too? Or did they just stop as she was plucked from the air? Or maybe a kidnapper lifted her and the dog straight up over his head and walked them both out?
    Alot of misinformation I think because the kids are making a strong concerted effort to portray this as an abduction. JMO

roche.analisa, osu, frisson and 10 others like this.
  18. Elliot_Alderson

Elliot_Alderson Well-Known Idiot

RBBM, oh geez, please tell me you're joking! They won't have their "it always rains right after a disappearance" to fall back on here.

roche.analisa, LAhiker, wary and 3 others like this.
  19. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

My partner and I are avid hikers/campers and either one of us would be SO embarrassed if the other one called for help before 30 minutes. We both get caught up exploring things, finding neat bugs or mushrooms or rock formations to photograph, going off the path, running into people and talking, etc.
    I will say we do feel more scared/vulnerable at night in a tent in the secluded campsites so we keep knives in case of crazy creepers. Never feel that during the day on a road or trail though..

20. TateF

TateF Member

Given the time spent searching and technology used I believe a terrain-related accident and an animal attack can both be ruled out.

I think an abuction is far likelier than many in this thread are accepting. Such a scenario does not require premeditation by someone “lying in wait.” It would more likely be a crime of opportunity.
    But I also can’t discount the unusual circumstances of this case, based on the little we actually know.

Right now I’m at
    70%: abduction/foul play at hands of a stranger.
    30%: Some kind of deception or action of husband (and/or wife).

roche.analisa, LAhiker, ElizB and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.