Found Deceased CA - Sophia Mason, 8, reported missing a month later, mom in custody, Merced, 10 Feb 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Merced Police Seeking Public Assistance in Locating At-Risk Missing 8-Year-Old

Merced – On March 11, 2022, the Merced Police Department was contacted by the Hayward Police Department regarding an at-risk missing juvenile. There is currently an investigation being conducted by both agencies in an effort to locate 8-year-old Sophia Mason of Merced.

Mason has been known to frequent Hayward, Merced, and various cities in Southern California with her mother, who is currently in custody. Mason was last seen around February 10, 2022 in the Merced area.

Merced Police are asking anyone with any information regarding this incident to contact Detective John Pinnegar at (209)388-7712 or by email at pinnegarj@cityofmerced.org.

Case Number: 22-14506
Other ways to contact us or report crime include:
For any emergency call or text 911
For non-emergency call 209-385-6912

275676195_338085188358277_8933858705399467810_n.jpg

Merced police searching for 8-year-old girl who went missing last month

Not seen for a month? What about school? Where was Sophia when her mom was taken into custody? Who reported Sophia missing? She's only 8 years old, this is crazy.

I don't understand why the won't name the mother. They will throw the victims names all over the place but not the POI! Who exactly are they protecting/concerned for? They should be posting her face all over the place in case anyone knows/saw her. IMO

Both agencies are conducting an investigation to find the child. “She has family in Hayward, and they are the ones who originally reported her missing,” said Merced police Detective Sgt. Kalvin Haygood. Mason was last seen on Feb. 10 in the Merced area.

“The Hayward Police Department was able to take the mother of the child into custody, and the child was not with her,” Haygood said. According to Det. Haygood, the mother is still in the custody of Hayward police. It’s not clear if the girl is with another family member or if the mother is trying to keep the girl from being taken by police.

More at https://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/local/crime/article259315154.html

Sophia and mom live in Merced with mom's bf. He said that he didn't know where Sophia is.

PLEASE SHARE : *At-Risk Missing Juvenile*
Please be on the lookout for this missing juvenile. Sophia Mason is 8 years old and was last seen December of 2021 by family members. This incident was reported to officers on 03/08/2022. Sophia may be in the care of a parent/guardian, but other family members have not had contact with them since December. Sophia is known to stay at different locations ranging between Hayward and Southern California. This investigation is ongoing,

A child's body has been found in a home in Merced:(:(:(.

MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- An investigation is underway after a child's body was found in a Merced home near Barclay and M Friday afternoon.

Merced Police say they were led to this home as they looked for 8-year-old Sophia Mason, who has been missing for more than a month.

Police are not indicating whether the child in the home is Sophia Mason.

Child's body found in Merced home, police say

The mother is named in the article about the body, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to say it?

She was 8 (assuming the deceased is her; it would be quite a coincidence that a different child was found in a house associated with her) why wasn't she in school? Although, maybe she could be off for an extended period of time if the mom told the school the family had COVID?

The mother is named in the article about the body, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to say it?

She was 8 (assuming the deceased is her; it would be quite a coincidence that a different child was found in a house associated with her) why wasn't she in school? Although, maybe she could be off for an extended period of time if the mom told the school the family had COVID?
Yes we can.

The investigation into the disappearance started when family members contacted Hayward Police in the Bay Area, asking for a welfare check on Sophia and her mom.

Sophia's mother, Samantha Johnson was arrested Thursday night on several charges. Police say when they asked her where Sophia was, she gave inconsistent answers.

Child's body found in Merced home, police say

Right, how long has someone potentially living with her dead body? I love this forum but it never ceases to make me ask WTF is wrong with people?!
Hell, I feel that way about the news. At least here and I can talk about it with people. We have serious sick people in this world. I will never understand either.

Crazy indeed! When was her Mother arrested?
I believe from the reports listed here Sophia was reported missing by family members on 3/8 and the mother was arrested on Thursday 3/10.

Editing to add: If this is the case, Great job LE for getting on top of this. Sadly I'm not seeing a positive outcome but still. They seemed to take this serious right off the bat! IMO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back