CA - State attorney struggled with bailiff in SLO courtroom

SophieRose

Reaction score
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/crime/article45149307.html

A state attorney arguing against a wrongful termination case last month struggled with a San Luis Obispo County sheriff’s deputy before being forced onto the courtroom floor, surveillance footage of the incident shows.

Deputy Attorney General Jennie Mariah Kelly was arrested Oct. 20 by courtroom bailiffs after what the Sheriff’s Office described as “speaking loudly” and “acting in an unprofessional manner” toward the opposing attorney.

She was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor resisting a police officer, cited and released, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

==================

[video=youtube;rOH2XhJI2rQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH2XhJI2rQ[/video]

Imagine if she were black!

But, seriously, WTH is going on in this country? "Talking loudly" now warrants the arrest of an attorney in a courtroom?

But, seriously, WTH is going on in this country? "Talking loudly" now warrants the arrest of an attorney in a courtroom?
In SLO county? Yep, you better believe it. Be civil or take a time out in jail, it's really simple.

What's going on is you better immediately do whatever any law enforcement officer asks you to do, and if you refuse or ask questions whatever happens after is your own fault.

Haven't you heard of the crime of being 'uppity'?

I can understand a bailiff feeling a need to maintain order if the judge were still on the bench. But since the judge had left, why did the bailiff care if one attorney yelled at another when the two were 20' apart?

Probably won't happen, but I think the bailiff should lose his job and, since he grabbed the lawyer's hands, he should be charged with assault.

In SLO county? Yep, you better believe it. Be civil or take a time out in jail, it's really simple.

I can't tell from your post whether you are being sarcastic or you really think raising one's voice should be a cause for arrest.

I can't tell from your post whether you are being sarcastic or you really think raising one's voice should be a cause for arrest.

Nope, not being sarcastic. I didn't say arrest someone for raising their voice in the courthouse but once they are informed of the rules of the court (whether judge is present or not) then it's time to simmer down and behave. Ignorance is no excuse from the law. This lawyer was from LA, different attitude and behaviors. There are all sorts of rules in SLO the city, I try not to spend money there at all if I can help it. Love the town, it is still a beautiful place.

Nope, not being sarcastic. I didn't say arrest someone for raising their voice in the courthouse but once they are informed of the rules of the court (whether judge is present or not) then it's time to simmer down and behave. Ignorance is no excuse from the law. This lawyer was from LA, different attitude and behaviors. There are all sorts of rules in SLO the city, I try not to spend money there at all if I can help it. Love the town, it is still a beautiful place.

Raising one's voice should be a crime in your opinion? (You say no, but then say yes, if the bailiff says so.) Precisely how many decibels are allowed and how am I to measure those decibels while I am speaking?

Members of LE are not tinpot dictators. Nor are they legislators. Their word is not law just because they would like it to be. It was the bailiff who escalated the situation by grabbing the woman's hands.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChucksChickTiff
Back