CA - Stephon Clark, 22, unarmed, fatally shot by Sacramento police, 18 March 2018

I'll pass. I have no desire to be "non annoying" by punishing someone that wants to go to an arena to see a game, or wants to travel down I 5 who had nothing to do with this.

The people protesting outside games and blocking roads have no desire to be "non annoying" or punish anyone either.

They want change. If you don't like the way they're going about it, what else would you suggest?

Civil disobedience and protesting is meant to be annoying and disruptive. The Selma March was peaceful but it also was disruptive, and purposefully so. Protesting on any scale is meant to get people's attention and yes, often by making things 'inconvenient' for the general public. How else do you get people involved, or taking notice if nothing directly affects them?

JMO, but I really find it it interesting there is more outrage over hypothetically being delayed to go to a sports game or having one's travel blocked for a short time than the fact that people are literally having their lives taken and families devastated due to unjust extrajudicial homicides; homicides which btw disproportionately affect PoC.

https://www.theroot.com/mlk-would-never-shut-down-a-freeway-and-6-other-myths-1790856033

The people protesting outside games and blocking roads have no desire to be "non annoying" or punish anyone either.

They want change. If you don't like the way they're going about it, what else would you suggest?
As I stated in my previous post. Protest where it matters. On the State House steps. Call your Congressman and get legislation passed to forbid Law Enforcement offices from investigating their own crimes. Make it mandatory that an independent investigation takes place every time.. Punish these criminals that shoot unarmed people and who violate peoples rights, white or black.
Lets' face it. There hasn't been any results from any other protest on the streets that I am aware of. What makes anyone think this time will be any different?

Are you kidding? I hope you are.

As I stated in my previous post. Protest where it matters. On the State House steps. Call your Congressman and get legislation passed to forbid Law Enforcement offices from investigating their own crimes. Make it mandatory that an independent investigation takes place every time.. Punish these criminals that shoot unarmed people and who violate peoples rights, white or black.
Lets' face it. There hasn't been any results from any other protest on the streets that I am aware of. What makes anyone think this time will be any different?

bbm

They've done all the things you suggest already. So now they're in civil disruption mode.... are you listening yet?

Maybe the African American community should skip straight to John Brown mode, because when they're violent is the only time you people hear it.

Do you think no one has done those things? The truth is there haven't been any results from the methods you suggest, and time and time again we see law enforcement officers' only punishment be paid time off.

Do you think no one has done those things? The truth is there haven't been any results from the methods you suggest, and time and time again we see law enforcement officers' only punishment be paid time off.
I agree. I don't think it's right that cops get paid time off when they shoot someone that is unarmed at all.
Can you show me what people have done? I am not saying you are wrong, but I can only find this article saying that something should be done, and nothing on what has been done.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/why-america-needs-federal_b_7877370.html

Your statement was: "There hasn't been any results from any other protest on the streets that I am aware of. What makes anyone think this time will be any different?"

I asked: "Are you kidding? I hope you are."

Civil protest is useless, is that what you're implying? Honest question.
Well, maybe I am out of the loop. What has changed? Less shootings of unarmed people?

Civil protest is useless. Its about time protest got a little less civil.

I agree. I don't think it's right that cops get paid time off when they shoot someone that is unarmed at all.
Can you show me what people have done? I am not saying you are wrong, but I can only find this article saying that something should be done, and nothing on what has been done.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/why-america-needs-federal_b_7877370.html

11 Big Accomplishments Black Activists Achieved In 2015
3. Mizzou student protests lead to university president's resignation.
4. Campus racism protests forced schools to reckon with their racial history.
7. Black students at the University of California prompted the school to pull out $30 million from prison investments.
9. Activists launched Campaign Zero to help combat police violence.
11. Activists launched the Police Union Contract Project to help ‘check the police.’

5 milestone accomplishments from the year in Black Lives Matter
They won a lawsuit against Baton Rouge police.
They got a ticket to the White House.

Are Riots Effective? 9 Times Violent Demonstration Changed American Politics
2. The Boston Tea Party - 1773 (this one was a really big deal!)
5. The Detroit Riots - 1967
6. The Stonewall Riots - 1969
7. The Kent State Riots - 1970
8. The Mount Pleasant Riots - 1991
What It Changed: The riots prompted a heavier integration of Latinos into the police force at Mount Pleasant, a serious report by the United States Commission On Civil Rights, and a new set of policies about police conduct, including an agreement not to ask citizens about their immigration status.

And who could forget:

The Storming of the Bastille - 1789.
The medieval fortress, armory, and political prison in Paris known as the Bastille represented royal authority in the centre of Paris. The prison contained just seven inmates at the time of its storming, but was seen by the revolutionaries as a symbol of the monarchy's abuses of power; its fall was the flashpoint of the French Revolution.
(A few years later the French monarchy was abolished, and Louis and Marie-Antoinette were condemned for treason.)

Civil protest is useless. Its about time protest got a little less civil.

If you include making demands of our Representatives and Senators as civil protest - that only leads to gerrymandering and voter suppression.

Sacramento Sheriff’s Vehicle Hits Protester At Stephon Clark Vigil

About eight seconds before the collision, a deputy inside the SUV was heard over a loudspeaker repeatedly telling protesters, “Back away from my car.”

The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department said protesters approached the vehicle and “began yelling while pounding and kicking the vehicle’s exterior.”

“The collision occurred while the patrol vehicle was traveling at slow speeds,” said spokesman Sgt. Shaun Hampton. He said the deputy’s vehicle had scratches, dents and a shattered rear window following the collision.

“The damage to the vehicle was not a result of the collision involving the pedestrian but was caused by vandals in the crowd,” Hampton said.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/...ffs-vehicle-hits-stephon-clark-protester/amp/

Protesters scratched, dented and shattered the rear window of the police car. I wouldn't call that peaceful.

That's the police spin.

If you watched the video of the hit and run, you would see NO protestors pounding on or kicking the vehicle prior to the incident, no protestors even standing belligerently in front of it blocking its way. I see maybe two people walk through the gap (which is about a half a car length. Then the lady walks through and she realizes the guy is moving forward, puts out a shocked warning/stop gesture, then she's hit and falls on the hood then to the right side of the vehicle. It's quick and it's clearly deliberate. The police officer's statement is false about there being any kind of violence on the car in the moments leading up to the collision.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if people reacted violently on the car AFTER it just ran over a protestor and tried to leave. In fact the deputy did leave and did not stop instead and try to administer any kind of first aid. In fact, he did not return. That's the very definition of a hit and run.

The only violence which should be under scrutiny here is that of the driver.

Stephon Clark's brother with Don Lemon...

[video=youtube;8YQV81Pw4UQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQV81Pw4UQ[/video]

Don Lemon handled this situation well. All grieving aside, the kid is off his rocker. I've watched other videos of him too. He definitely let instant celebrity go directly to his head.

They've done all the things you suggest already. So now they're in civil disruption mode.... are you listening yet?

Maybe the African American community should skip straight to John Brown mode, because when they're violent is the only time you people hear it.
When African Americans get violent that's the only time "you people" hear it?
I'm not sure what you mean by "you people", but when I see anyone get violent, I don't care if they are African American or not, I listen less because people start doing stupid things that have nothing to do with the cause. To me, that impact is diminished.
What does breaking into Best Buy and stealing television sets have to do with a cop shooting an unarmed man? Why should Bob the hardware store owner have to rebuild his hardware store because some angry person burned it down?
I am all for civil protests, as long as they are just that. "Civil". If people want to be angry at someone, be angry at the police that shot this guy. Protest in front of the police station. Keep them from gaining access if you think that will help, not some civilians that probably are just as fed up as anyone else, but can't get into a game at an arena. Does anyone think that they are going to gain support from a person that just shelled out a few hundred bucks to see a game, but that can't get in? What's next? going to block the hospitals so sick people can't get in either?
Spin it anyway you want. Whites get shot by police just like Blacks. Argue the numbers if you want but who cares if it's 20 percent either way? It really doesn't matter. The problem is way too many people are getting shot while unarmed. Period.

Your statement was: "There hasn't been any results from any other protest on the streets that I am aware of. What makes anyone think this time will be any different?"

I asked: "Are you kidding? I hope you are."

Civil protest is useless, is that what you're implying? Honest question.
Not at all. What I am implying is, although from what I gather so far this protest overall has not been violent, the majority have been when an unlawful shooting has taken place. In fact I think civil protests are great as long as they are civil and aimed at the root of the problem.

When African Americans get violent that's the only time "you people" hear it?
I'm not sure what you mean by "you people", but when I see anyone get violent, I don't care if they are African American or not, I listen less because people start doing stupid things that have nothing to do with the cause. To me, that impact is diminished.
What does breaking into Best Buy and stealing television sets have to do with a cop shooting an unarmed man? Why should Bob the hardware store owner have to rebuild his hardware store because some angry person burned it down?
I am all for civil protests, as long as they are just that. "Civil". If people want to be angry at someone, be angry at the police that shot this guy. Protest in front of the police station. Keep them from gaining access if you think that will help, not some civilians that probably are just as fed up as anyone else, but can't get into a game at an arena. Does anyone think that they are going to gain support from a person that just shelled out a few hundred bucks to see a game, but that can't get in? What's next? going to block the hospitals so sick people can't get in either?
Spin it anyway you want. Whites get shot by police just like Blacks. Argue the numbers if you want but who cares if it's 20 percent either way? It really doesn't matter. The problem is way too many people are getting shot while unarmed. Period.

I wonder if it would matter if unarmed white people where being shot by cops at twice the rate of minorities, instead of the other way around?

Can you please link me to the news of violence and looting taking place during the protests in Sacramento? It keeps being mentioned but I can’t find anything about it on the google, nor the local TV news. TIA

Protesting at the stadium is nothing like blocking a hospital, you surely realize that.
The slippery slope argument can go anywhere, who knows what could have happened?
What if zombies join the protesters and they all start eating the cops???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back