GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

Yes, I think that is what happened, Tortoise. Though I can’t be sure unless we see/hear no more for a while.

Now I am not so sure there was a mixup with the dates. Thus is confusing me.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-durst-20180418-story.html

Kathleen Durst's former medical school mentor testified Wednesday that during a conversation in 1981 she told him she lived in fear of her husband, New York real estate tycoon Robert Durst, who she said had a "homicidal side."

Durst will return to court Thursday as prosecutors gather testimony from conditional witnesses who may be unavailable during the trial. The preliminary hearing will resume in October.

Sounds like they’re back today to gather testimony from one witness who won’t be available later, and then they’re postponing the hearing till October?

That’s how I see it, EuTu. Seven months .... ?

During a court hearing Thursday, prosecutors played the jail call in which the multimillionaire told a friend that he became concerned while watching the fifth installment of the documentary.
[...]

[FONT=&amp]In another jail call with the same friend, Durst says he wanted to find old letters he'd written.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"If I can find somebody who's got something I wrote back then, or even somebody who can say, 'Yeah, yeah, Bob used to write to me. He wrote me a couple of letters. He never misspelled Beverly,' that would be very helpful, I think," Durst says on the recording.
[...]

[/FONT]
On Thursday, prosecutors questioned one of Berman's longtime friends, Julie Smith, eliciting testimony they will likely use to bolster Chavin's credibility. Smith testified that Chavin approached her at Berman's 2001 memorial service and said that Berman once told him that Durst confessed to killing Kathleen.
[...]

[FONT=&quot]"She said, 'Bobby was coming…. It's going to be a lot of fun,' " Clethen testified. Berman said Durst was coming "around the holidays — Christmas," according to Clethen.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But during cross-examination, one of Durst's lawyers played a recorded call of Clethen telling prosecutors he couldn't say for sure whether Berman said Durst was coming in December. He remembered it as "the holidays," the witness says on the recording.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-durst-20180419-story.html

[/FONT]

Thanks again Tortoise. I seem to have trouble finding current updates.

IIRC from the film, a big part of Durst's acquittal in Texas was his claim that he had been hounded into hiding by this crazy DA from NY, Pirro. Now she published a book in 2015, IMO the defence hope they can use it to further claim there was never a legitimate case that he killed his wife, it was all her imagination. If he didn't kill his wife, there was no reason for him to kill Berman.

IMO, this time the prosecution wants to decredit her too, so she just won't be a factor in the trial.

more to read at link

There is little doubt by either side that the hearings, which adjourned after four days of testimony and argument, will conclude in October with Judge Mark Windham binding Mr. Durst over for trial, starting probably early next year.

But that does not mean that Mr. Lewin has a clear path to another guilty verdict. Mr. Lewin and his colleagues will still have to contend with hazy, in some cases 40-year-old memories; the lack of the weapon in Ms. Berman’s shooting; and the absence of a body or even a crime scene in the disappearance and presumed death of Ms. Durst, for which no one has ever been charged.

[...]

In response to a 12-page motion from the defense to exclude any statements Ms. Berman allegedly made to her friends as hearsay, Mr. Lewin responded in March with what has become known as “Big Boy”: a 77-page brief accompanied by 316 pages of exhibits.

[...]

The prosecution scored two victories last week when Judge Windham ruled that he would accept testimony from 13 friends who say Ms. Berman confided to them that she assisted Mr. Durst in the cover-up and had been expecting him to visit her around the time of her murder. The judge also accepted testimony and records concerning incidents of domestic violence in the Durst marriage, pending challenges by the defense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/nyregion/durst-cold-case-prosecutor.html

Prosecutors Seek To Use Durst's Dismemberment Killing In LA Trial

"LOS ANGELES, CA — Los Angeles County prosecutors want jurors in New York real estate scion Robert Durst's murder trial to hear about the 2001 killing and dismemberment of a Texas neighbor for which he was acquitted, according to court papers filed Thursday....

In a lengthy court filing objecting to a defense motion to exclude evidence about Morris Black's killing, prosecutors contend that the manner of the two killings were "eerily similar" and that both victims were slain inside a residence they each considered to be safe while they were "either completely or largely helpless in their ability to defend themselves."...

A hearing on the defense's request is set Jan. 14 at the Airport Courthouse in Los Angeles...."

Prosecutors Seek To Use Durst's Dismemberment Killing In LA Trial

OTEYYFY5RZFRLKJ2U4L34BHEKQ.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shocking Video Of How Robert Durst Murdered Morris Black Revealed In New D.A. Filing
LA officials say he was 'tying up lose ends' when he dismembered & disposed the body.

Dec 27, 2018

"...In an motion filed on Dec. 27 obtained by Radar, Los Angeles prosecutors argued evidence related to Morris Black‘s homicide Opens a New Window. , for which Durst was acquitted of in a separate trial, should be included in the ongoing case against Durst for the 2000 death Opens a New Window. of his friend, Susan Berman...."

Shocking Video Of How Robert Durst Murdered Morris Black Revealed In New D.A. Filing
---

Motion filed: (7 pages)

https://radaronline.com/wp-content/...evidence-related-Morris-black-murder-docs.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WS thread Kathleen Durst: NY - NY - Kathleen Durst, 29, South Salem, 31 January 1982

Anyone know the case # for Durst? I can look it up & keep the hearings current. If I just search for his name, I have to pay a fee. So a Case # would be good!

TIA! :)

Monday, January 14th:
*Motions Hearing (@ PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 23, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Durst (75/57 @ time of crime) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
12/27/18: Prosecutors want jurors in Durst's murder trial to hear about the 2001 killing & dismemberment of a Texas neighbor for which he was acquitted. In a lengthy court filing objecting to a defense motion to exclude evidence about Morris Black's killing, prosecutors contend that the manner of the two killings were "eerily similar" and that both victims were slain inside a residence they each considered to be safe while they were "either completely or largely helpless in their ability to defend themselves." A hearing on the defense's request is set Jan. 14.

DA Argues to Include Evidence From Prior Murder Case Against Robert Durst

Jan 14, 2019

"Los Angeles County prosecutors, in a newly filed motion, are pushing for jurors in New York real estate scion Robert Durst's murder trial to hear about the 2001 killing and dismemberment of a Texas neighbor for which he was acquitted....

In their latest court filing, submitted Friday and scheduled to be argued before a judge on Tuesday, prosecutors allege that the defense -- which has moved to exclude evidence about Morris Black's killing -- is seeking to "blindfold jurors in their search for the truth.''

District Attorney Jackie Lacey and the deputy district attorneys trying the case contend that Black's killing is "directly applicable to the witness-killing special circumstance allegation'' facing Durst.

Prosecutors allege that the defendant killed Berman to be certain that she couldn't talk to authorities about his involvement in the 1982 disappearance of his first wife, Kathleen "Katie'' Durst, who has never been found. Similarly, "(Durst) killed Morris because Morris knew defendant's true identity and defendant was afraid that Morris was going to reveal his whereabouts to ... New York authorities,'' the latest motion alleges.

Durst's attorneys argue that the prosecutors are engaged in character assassination by linking Durst to as many homicides as possible, without sufficient proof. ...

To make the case that they are not simply trying to tie several suspicious deaths to Durst to prejudice the jury, prosecutors mentioned another possible victim in their motion. Karen Marie Mitchell, 16, disappeared from Eureka, California in 1997. Prosecutors said a witness who saw the teenager getting into a car that same day identified Durst as the driver, and a co-worker said Durst came dressed as a women into the store where the girl worked at least twice afterward.

But because there is no direct link to Durst's first wife's disappearance or Berman's murder, the prosecution isn't seeking to mention Mitchell at trial...."

DA Argues to Include Evidence From Prior Murder Case Against Robert Durst
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four years after his arrest, Robert Durst — the idiosyncratic New York real estate tycoon accused of killing his best friend two decades ago — finally has a trial date.

“Yeah,” Durst responded in his signature slow and creaking voice, “Sept. 3 is fine for trial.”

Robert Durst murder trial is set for September – Boston Herald

Four years after his arrest, Robert Durst — the idiosyncratic New York real estate tycoon accused of killing his best friend two decades ago — finally has a trial date.

“Yeah,” Durst responded in his signature slow and creaking voice, “Sept. 3 is fine for trial.”

Robert Durst murder trial is set for September – Boston Herald
Let's hope he gets the best medical care, for years to come. :rolleyes:

It's not often I have that thought about killers.

Robert Durst Will Have to Defend Himself in 3 Killings When Susan Berman Murder Trial Kicks Off in September

JANUARY 16, 2019

"New York real estate heir Robert Durst is charged with one count of murder, but will have to defend himself in three killings at trial later this year in California.

Los Angeles prosecutors won a victory Tuesday in persuading a judge to allow jurors to hear that Durst killed a man in Galveston, Texas, in 2001, dismembered his body and tossed it out to sea...."

Robert Durst Will Have to Defend Himself in 3 Killings When Susan Berman Murder Trial Kicks Off in September
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey
Back