CA - Woman, 63, Beaten to Death With Electric Scooter, Long Beach, May 2019 *arrest*

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
A man was booked on suspicion of murder after a woman was beaten to death with an electric scooter outside a friend's home in Long Beach Monday afternoon, officials said.

The incident was reported about 12:30 p.m. near the corner of Obsipo Avenue and 64th Street, Shaunna Dandoy, a spokesperson for the Long Beach Police Department, told KTLA.

Rosa Manjarrez is seen in an undated photo provided by her family.

Police identified the victim as Rosa Elena Hernandez, 63, of Long Beach, but coroner's officials gave her name as Rosa Manjarrez de Hernandez. Family members said she simply went by Rosa Manjarrez.

Suspect in Custody After 63-Year-Old Woman Beaten to Death With Electric Scooter in Long Beach: Police

The woman, who lived in the neighborhood for at least 40 years, was simply walking home after visiting friends when she was attacked. The man assaulted her and then used a scooter that happened to be lying nearby to savagely beat her. She never had a chance.
The suspect was arrested shortly after. He's been identified as Amad Rashad Redding, 27, of Long Beach. No word on motive or other details.

Man Suspected of Fatally Beating Long Beach Woman Using E-Scooter Pleads Not Guilty

MAY 29, 2019

"...Redding, who was described as a transient, ran from the area but was eventually taken into custody later that day. Officials said the attack was random.

Redding’s bail was set at $2 million and he faces a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

He is set to return to court for a hearing on June 13."

Man Suspected of Fatally Beating Long Beach Woman Using E-Scooter Pleads Not Guilty

Another one: sheesh

Man Charged With Using E-Scooter to Attack 75-Year-Old in Downtown L.A.

JUNE 21, 2019

"A man was charged Friday with using an electric scooter in a brutal and seemingly unprovoked beating of a senior citizen in downtown Los Angeles last week, officials said.

Janai Washington, 41, is facing one count each of assault with a deadly weapon and elder abuse, with the second charge carrying an allegation that he used a deadly and dangerous weapon, the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office said in a news release.

Prosecutors are also seeking a sentencing enhancement for the accusation that he inflicted great bodily injury on an elderly and vulnerable victim.

The DA’s office identified the victim as 75-year-old Jose Cancel. L.A. police had earlier said the victim was 76 years years old.

It’s the second assault involving an e-scooter reported in L.A. County this year, after 63-year-old Rosa Elena Hernandez was fatally beaten with one of the devices in Long Beach last month. Amad Rashad Redding, 27, has pleaded not guilty to murder in the case...."

Man Charged With Using E-Scooter to Attack 75-Year-Old in Downtown L.A.

News release:

Man Charged with Attacking 75-Year-Old with E-Scooter | Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office

There is no media news on Amad Rashad Redding since the time of this horrific crime. Nothing. That was over two years ago.

An L.A. County inmate search shows his next court hearing is August 17, 2021 in Long Beach. I cannot access more detailed court records at this time.

Given that this is California it may still be years before he comes to trial. I will try to update every now and then.

I tried to update this and now the inmate locator shows his next court date is in August, 2019! That's impossible.
It also shows something called "Custody Release" for November, 2019.

Please God, this man has not been released!!

I cannot access actual court records without registering and paying a subscription fee. I give up!

There is ZERO media coverage after his initial arrest and court appearance.

I still cannot find any court dates for him. The "Custody Release" date in 2019 was to the Mental Health Department. My guess is he's confined to a state mental hospital. I have no idea when he'll be brought to trial. Sorry.
This was such a horrific crime.

After a moderately long search, I can find ZERO information about any court hearings for this killer, Amad Rashad Redding. No idea of what's happened to him in the system. Arrested three years ago, and nothing. I can only hope he's confined somewhere in a state mental facility but can find no confirmation of that.

A vicious, random attack on a defenseless woman just walking to her house. I am familiar with this neighborhood. Unfortunately, there are many crazy homeless individuals roaming around Long Beach. The homeless and mentally disturbed have skyrocketed in this city.
Rosa-Elana-Hernandez-Amad-Rashad-Redding.jpg

Rest in peace, Rosa Elana Hernandez...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal