CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by LadyL, Oct 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steff13

steff13 Well-Known Member

Seen or heard from by whom?

misgrn, Marg from Oz, SteveP and 2 others like this.

2. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

Thanks. Since people are mentioning "after midnight," before 5:30 a.m., and it sounds like you're saying 6:00- something a.m. I guess it's just unclear or truly unknown beyond that. All my speculation here, no one quote me or go with these times for sure, please.

SFDukie, misgrn, dotr and 1 other person like this.
  3. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

I can't make that out either. Did she talk to or text or see someone at the time they are describing - before sunrise? Or did CCTV see her in that area? Or did she get dropped off before sunrise by someone?

There are next-to-no details to really go by.

IHAVENOCLUE, misgrn, elisimo and 9 others like this.
  4. moody_chicago

moody_chicago Well-Known Member

Oh that’s definitely a thing. In times where I’ve been thiiiiiis close to taking my life, I’ve felt a very peaceful sense of calm and everyone thinks things are much much better. One of my friends who took his life, the day before, had orchestrated a family go carting trip and they say he’d never seemed happier. That’s one of the signs you’re to look out for with suicidal loved ones. If they suddenly come off really calm and uncharacteristically happy, they could be planning something. Really sad but very real.

5. Baciagalupo

Baciagalupo Well-Known Member

There are cameras capturing jumpers, but do they work in the dark?

Suglo, Marg from Oz, LadyL and 2 others like this.
  6. WideOpen

WideOpen Well-Known Member

I just want to say, "I am keeping the hope alive" for this beautiful and brilliant child. I have college age daughters and they put so much pressure on themselves, the competition is intense. But, they are also very independent and don't want their mother to make decisions or life easier, they want to do it their own way.
    So, I believe that Syd is out there living her own lifestyle, whatever that may be. She can make it in this world- I believe! Praying for them.
    Call your mother and little sister Syd.
    JMO

misgrn, momrids6, Mermaid76 and 15 others like this.
  7. Loot43

Loot43 New Member

I have followed so many cases and this one feels quite different. Based on the purposeful lack of information provided by her family, friends and police, I feel that they believe that she may have taken her life. But until her body is found, they have to hold out hope that she is still alive. This is the only thing that makes sense to me when I see their video and consider all of the circumstances. I hope that I am wrong.

Limecat, LemonMint, misgrn and 19 others like this.
  8. siliconda

siliconda Active Member

The mom on Facebook seems really certain about what she was wearing (to the point of correcting other descriptions of her clothing) so I feel like they have CCTV maybe? I don't know though. It would be helpful if we knew even who her roommates were to get a sense of her location relative to Crissy field and how early she would have had to get up to get there before sunrise...

misgrn, TimesEight, Suglo and 9 others like this.
  9. SouthAussie

Apparently there are motion detectors, too. Surely they would have detected motion - dark or not.
    Did they detect motion sometime after Syd is known to have been in the area, before daylight?
    Who is monitoring these detectors? Are they doing it 24/7?

“I will say security is really tough,” Teatime said. “They have motion detectors, cameras."
    Security Changes for Golden Gate Bridge After Teens' Climb -- Security Today

10. ElizabethAnne

ElizabethAnne Well-Known Member

Here is the information sheet from the CHP https://www.chp.ca.gov/GoldenGateDivisionSite/Documents/350_Marin/Suicide Information.pdf The Golden Gate Bridge authority will not review the videotapes unless the law enforcement organization provides a written request. It says "Ask local law enforcement to submit a written request to the Golden Gate Bridge District to view all video tapes from cameras on the bridge."

Also Kevin Briggs was one of the CHP motorcycle officers constantly monitoring the bridge. He retired a few years ago and is now a speaker. The CHP has officers that monitor the bridge. Also there is a volunteer organization started by a Pleasanton police officer named Mia Munayer called Bridgewatch Angels-here is information on that group from the Pleasanton Weekly Valentine's Day Angels: Patrolling the Golden Gate to help save lives

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  11. SouthAussie

Thanks.
    According to the first link, it can take up to 90 days for a person who went into the water to appear.

misgrn, momrids6, distracted and 13 others like this.
  12. ElizabethAnne

ElizabethAnne Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, sometimes it never happens and those that jump are never found.

SFDukie, misgrn, distracted and 11 others like this.
  13. Alicat1008

Alicat1008 Member

I don’t know if anyone has shared any of his videos already, but I have followed this man for years. His name is Kevin Briggs, and they call him “Guardian of the Golden Gate”.
    He was a Patrol officer with CHP for over 23 years, and patrolled the bridge. He now spends his time traveling around, and educating people on suicide prevention. He is credited with saving over 200 lives on the GGB. He is an amazing man. He Shares a lot of facts about GGB suicide jumpers in his videos. I’m including a link to one of his videos, but if you just search his name a ton more will come up. If you watch this particular video you’ll hear him talk about losing a body.
    There’s also a man named Kevin Hines that survived a suicide jump off the GGB, and now speaks about suicide and mental illness. He has used his experience as a platform to help others, and his story is absolutely remarkable. He is one of only a handful of survivors, and he has not taken that for granted. He offers a lot of insight into the mental state of a suicidal person. He has a lot of videos on YouTube as well.

14. Curious_in_NC

Curious_in_NC Well-Known Member

I agree with you @WideOpen, I'm also trying to remain an optimist in this case. One thing I noticed is San Francisco Crossfit has been holding limited outdoor classes on weekdays starting at 5:30 am. They're located next to Crissy Field. https://sanfranciscocrossfit.com/updates/
    Is it possible to find out if Sydney had signed up for one of these?

15. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

Good catch! Even if she never signed up, someone who went that day may have seen her. Usually those places have a sign-up sheet? That’s a viable tip! You should report to SFPD & also a mod at the #FindSydneyWest site! Imo!

ETA- maybe video too?

misgrn, TimesEight, d4j and 15 others like this.
  16. Curious_in_NC

Done. I may also follow up with Orange Co. Sheriff Office in NC. I kind of felt this destination might fit well with the way she was described to be dressed. I just didn't think she'd be going for a run in beat up Vans. But an outdoor crossfit class is plausible. Her latest description seems to drop the backpack from details, but that would have fit as well.

17. sfbaynancydrew

sfbaynancydrew Well-Known Member

Totally late to this, I literally only heard about this today on Facebook.

One of my best friends lives across the street from Crissy Field. It is a densely populated popular green area where dozens of groups at any given time have exercise or group gatherings happening. The green has a par course that is free to the public and you’ll see groups having courses over there as well. I guess what I’m trying to say is that anyone at any given time from sunrise to sunset could wander onto Crissy Field and run into all sorts of fitness activities both personal and organized.

Due to the lack of publicity in this case, I’m going to guess they think it’s a suicide. :( The bridge is still an easy destination for this and the Pacific is wild and unforgiving.

18. sfbaynancydrew

sfbaynancydrew Well-Known Member

Also forgot to add the city is still pretty shut down but the Marina District and the Marina Green/Crissy Field area have been crazy packed with people desperate for fresh air and exercise.

The last couple of months has seen way more things opening up but it’s still a shadow of its former self. The city shut down hard very early in the game and it’s been honestly depressing even for those of us who don’t suffer from anxiety or depression.

19. RachelG45

RachelG45 Member

Thank you for sharing this!

20. Curious_in_NC

(snipped for clarity)
    Yes, the lack of publicity is an issue. When I called the SFPD hotline about the CrossFit tip, the person I spoke with had never heard about Sydney. They also didn't know where Crissy Field was, which may have been even more odd.

I found the CrossFit site when I was looking for rowing centers. It seems they're all still shut down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.