CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by LadyL, Oct 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldCop

OldCop Verified Law Enforcement (retired)

RBbM
    According to the Sheriff’s office she was recently a student at Berkeley, but now lives in SF with friends. Sounds like she dropped out shortly after starting her freshman year.

jash, TimesEight, Janeumayer and 24 others like this.

2. Sillybilly

Sillybilly Administrator Staff Member Administrator

ADMIN NOTE:

As Sydney is still missing at this point, please don't post her personal email on the thread.

3. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

Crissy Field:

(Surely someone would have seen her if she was on the bridge, right?)

Attached Files:

4. Figbarinc

Figbarinc Active Member

With all the media attention "Syd" is receiving and still no word from her it does not look promising. The question has been raised of her mobile phone. There appears to be no definitive answer is it with her? Though being "out there" may mean no means of charging her phone. At this point all I can do is pray for her that God is watching over her!

5. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

No one ever wants to think of suicide, but given her apparent depression, we know it’s a possibility, sadly. Syd wouldn’t necessarily be seen from Crissy Field if she timed it right and walked closer to Marin county away from S.F. It takes about 35 minutes to walk across the bridge. Another thought is that she kept going after crossing the bridge and hiked a trail on the Marin side. But if so, where is she?

Here are the hours for pedestrians on the bridge...

Pedestrians, including persons with disabilities using mobility devices such as wheelchairs, are only allowed on the east sidewalk (side facing San Francisco). Hours vary seasonally as follows:

Pacific Standard Time (early November to early March - dates vary): East sidewalk hours are 5:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Automatically-controlled gates close at 6:30 p.m. and reopen at 5:00 a.m.

Pacific Daylight Time (early March to early November - dates vary): East sidewalk hours are 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. on weekends). Automatically-controlled gates close at 8:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. on weekends) and reopen at 5:00 a.m.

ALERT: During Suicide Deterrent System construction, on some weeknights, the east sidewalk will close one hour early to pedestrians. For dates and details, go to GGB Temporary Weeknight Lane Closures.

Bikes & Pedestrians - Visiting the Bridge | Golden Gate

More info about walking the bridge...on weekdays bikes are on the west side so just pedestrians on the east.
    The Golden Gate Bridge: a Local's Guide to the Bridge.

On Wednesday September 30 sunset was at 6:53, so someone could have over an hour before the gates closed at 8:00 when most people at Crissy Field would be gone and it would be dusk.

Sunrise and sunset times in San Francisco, September 2020

A suicide prevention barrier and net installation has been delayed until 2023. :(
    Golden Gate Bridge suicide barrier delayed

Traymar, jash, TimesEight and 22 others like this.
  6. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

But aren't there cameras? I'm sure they've been checked.
    If I'm wrong, let me know.

jash, TimesEight, d4j and 12 others like this.
  7. katydid23

katydid23 On Time Out

I have wondered about the same thing, sadly.

8. scriabina

scriabina Well-Known Member

When I searched the UC Berkeley student directory, her name did not show up:

Campus Directory | University of California, Berkeley

Since she took a gap year after graduating high school (and was apparently depressed about that decision per the Oct 2019 blog post on Medium), it appears she was to start this fall but either withdrew and/or never even started. I'm sure that would be a massive disappointment for someone who sounds to be a perfectionist and have high expectations for herself (per her blog).

I have a bad feeling that self-harm may be the most likely outcome and she is no longer alive. I hope I'm wrong.

LemonMint, jash, TimesEight and 19 others like this.
  9. Penny4YourThoughts

Penny4YourThoughts Well-Known Member

SYD if you're reading here, you are right: You must focus on loving you, cherishing you. Syd, you a beast. These wise words of yours speak volumes to strangers like me - THANK YOU <3

Traymar, TimesEight, Alcina and 23 others like this.
  10. Hap

Hap Wisher & Dreamer

I want to find this girl and give her a great big hug.

11. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

Unfortunately, Sydney is not unlike many young people who are struggling in our current time. It is so hard to read this thread. She has so much going for her. I want to believe that she just took off (and I hope she did). But, I am not sure. Sydney, I hope you are safe somewhere. I hope you are at peace. Wishing her family gets answers as soon as possible.

Traymar, altissima, Hap and 27 others like this.
  12. kelsie

kelsie Missing Persons Advocate, Writer, and Researcher

Syd wrote on her blog:
    I am only a few years older and I feel this exact same way lately... praying for you Syd.

Traymar, jash, ilovematt and 29 others like this.
  13. turanna25

turanna25 Well-Known Member

Do we know if she was/is currently depressed? The only piece of information we have leading to her being down/sad/depressed is from 2019. She just started her college career. It's an exciting time for young people. I know this year hasn't been easy on anyone... but.. I'm just having a difficult time going straight to a possible suicidal act with this one. I think we need more information before jumping to that. JMO though.

What would be good to know:
    1. Did she indeed have her phone with her? If so, where did it last ping?
    2. Was she with a friend or anyone else?
    3. Where was she last seen?
    4. Was she seen on any of he cameras on the bridge or in the area?
    5. What time did she start her exploring for the day?
    6. When was the last time she was heard from family/friends?
    7. What was her last conversation like with them?
    8. How did she get to this are? BART? drive? bike?
    (this is important because honestly, I would not feel safe/comfortable taking the BART)

Also, is California still pretty closed down? I ask because this would hinder her going in to the coffee shops or stores in the area. When I was there for work (pre-covid), I loved exploring that whole area. I was staying in Larkspur and working in Richmond. I loved checking out the cute coffee shops and stores, seeing the history of the area, driving and walking around.

I'm hoping and praying she is found soon. She's so young and has her whole life ahead of her.

14. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

With COVID, many new college students who aren't social butterflies, are probably pretty isolated. It was stated Syd has been living with friends in the San Francisco area so, she does have friends. I wonder what her life in SF was like. Was she actually going to UC Berkeley, was she working?
    Are any of her roommates talking or posting on social media?

15. moody_chicago

moody_chicago Well-Known Member

Holy Hannah Montana they’ve worked their behinds off trying to deter suicides. I wonder what the numbers are now versus before all this was put in place.

16. moody_chicago

moody_chicago Well-Known Member

Omg I’m far older than her and I truly feel this deep in my bones.

17. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

18. Lilibet

Unfortunately, the suicide barriers described in the article in my post won’t be completely installed until 2023.
    Current construction:
    Golden Gate Bridge suicide barrier work continues during pandemic

ETA: I couldn’t find 2020 suicide figures.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  19. Lilibet

They do have security cameras according to this 2017 article about two boys climbing a tower. They managed to circumvent them, so security was going to be improved, but not sure what’s been done. The cameras are mainly to protect the bridge apparently.

Security Changes for Golden Gate Bridge After Teens' Climb -- Security Today

20. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

There was a photo of Sydney on the Golden Gate Bridge sidewalk, posted in Feb 2019, on Sydney's Instagram page, which was previously linked. She is standing on the fence rail. I just had such a shock seeing that photo. I sure hope that wasn't were she was headed this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.