CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s actually the marijuana and hemp harvest time in Northern California and Southern Oregon. While many of these farms are legitimate businesses these days, some still employ undocumented laborers and pay cash. It’s very easy for any healthy hardworking adult to find work and a place to live for weeks and possibly months doing this, out of the spotlight and under the radar. If one wanted to “disappear“ for awhile, this is certainly an accessible option from the SF Bay Area.

It’s actually the marijuana and hemp harvest time in Northern California and Southern Oregon. While many of these farms are legitimate businesses these days, some still employ undocumented laborers and pay cash. It’s very easy for any healthy hardworking adult to find work and a place to live for weeks and possibly months doing this, out of the spotlight and under the radar. If one wanted to “disappear“ for awhile, this is certainly an accessible option from the SF Bay Area.
Do I remember correctly about a young woman who disappeared and became a missing person after telling those close to her she would be out of touch at a marijuana farm? Turned out the marijuana farm was cover for some reality type TV show.

Here in far north coast California the migrant workers that trim pot are referred to as "Trimigrants". The large vehicles driven by the farm owners are, "Growdozers". Neither of these are particularly terms of endearment.

But that take a timeout working on a pot farm in Humboldt is a romantic path until one has the experience. Reasonable alternative theory regards Syd.

Update video from parents: “Investigation update: Please share this new short video on your social channels and - especially for people who commute or exercise on or near San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge on Wednesday mornings - Syd was last seen at approx 6:45am on Wednesday, September 30 on the Golden Gate Bridge. If you or anybody you know saw anything that morning or have seen Sydney since that morning, please contact SF Police 415-575-4444 and our private investigator at 925-705-8328. Leads continue to come in and all are being investigated. Thank you for your help and support to #FindSydneyWest #sanfrancisco”

From parents’ video transcript: “Sydney was wearing long black tights. She was seen wearing black shorts, at times, too. . . . She had her backpack for a period of time as well, that’s how she got around the city.”

It hurts to analyze this video, but note the deliberate temporal modifiers (“at times,” “for a period of time“). Suggesting that she may have been seen without a backpack on the GGB, or may have changed into either black leggings or shorts by the time she was last seen on the Bridge.

Last edited:
I have a theory but I'm wondering if it would even be possible.

Complete speculation, but.. Could Sydney have told her dad on the phone call the day before she went missing that she was planning to disappear, and not to look for her? Would that explain why the police and the media aren't treating this like a missing person's case that would normally be all over the news given that Sydney fits the 'type' of person whose case would be highly publicized?

Or would the police be legally obligated to release info that it may be runaway case in that situation?

I feel like that scenario would explain why they are so focused on asking her to come home, why they aren't releasing a lot of details (because they don't want to push her away from coming home by airing out all the details of her personal life), and why they aren't doing more media interviews. Just a thought I had.
Interesting idea. You know what? Maybe. Maybe she did let someone know about her plans to leave, maybe it was her father (or her sister?), and she was supposed to let that person know she was okay at some point, and when she didn't, that's when they reported her missing. Not that crazy of a possibility.

Update video from parents: “Investigation update: Please share this new short video on your social channels and - especially for people who commute or exercise on or near San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge on Wednesday mornings - Syd was last seen at approx 6:45am on Wednesday, September 30 on the Golden Gate Bridge. If you or anybody you know saw anything that morning or have seen Sydney since that morning, please contact SF Police 415-575-4444 and our private investigator at 925-705-8328. Leads continue to come in and all are being investigated. Thank you for your help and support to #FindSydneyWest #sanfrancisco“

I don't like the sound of this.

Praying she is found soon.

JMVHO.

ETA: How heavy is traffic at that time on the bridge? I know a lot of people are working from home, but surely there is some traffic at 7:45 a.m.

Last edited:
ETA: How heavy is traffic at that time on the bridge? I know a lot of people are working from home, but surely there is some traffic at 7:45 a.m.
Her parents said “there were many people in that vicinity during that time [6:45am - 7]. And folks that have seen anything that resembles Sydney, we really want to collect information . . . . It was a very foggy morning, it was probably hard to see.”

The parents’ video / plea for information is not on MSM yet. I will delete my posts, if needed, to conform with WS policies, but given that this is one of the very few pieces of information Syd’s parents have asked people to share, I wanted to bring it to the group so that we could spread the word per their wishes. I’m not linking to the social media with their interview (per WS policy), but it is easy to find and confirm.

She was reported missing 2 pm on 10/2 and the missing person alert went out 10/5. I don't think cell phone tower data from the area could have been obtained and analyzed in that short time frame

last heard from/seen 9/30...reported missing 10/2...alert issued on 10/5. That seems like a LOT of time. I feel like other missing persons alerts happen within hours of a person being reported missing. I guess if Syd was kind of under the radar, then it might make sense. I don’t know though.

Update video from parents: “Investigation update: Please share this new short video on your social channels and - especially for people who commute or exercise on or near San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge on Wednesday mornings - Syd was last seen at approx 6:45am on Wednesday, September 30 on the Golden Gate Bridge. If you or anybody you know saw anything that morning or have seen Sydney since that morning, please contact SF Police 415-575-4444 and our private investigator at 925-705-8328. Leads continue to come in and all are being investigated. Thank you for your help and support to #FindSydneyWest #sanfrancisco”

From parents’ video transcript: “Sydney was wearing long black tights. She was seen wearing black shorts, at times, too. . . . She had her backpack for a period of time as well, that’s how she got around the city.”

It hurts to analyze this video, but note the deliberate temporal modifiers (“at times,” “for a period of time“). Suggesting that she may have been seen without a backpack on the GGB, or may have changed into either black leggings or shorts by the time she was last seen on the Bridge.

Sounds like someone saw Syd or someone meeting her description vs camera?

This is heart-wrenching.

I occasionally have jogged that early on the bridge (afternoons get too crowded with tourists) though wasn't there that day. I'm not liking where this is going, but if it wasn't self harm I think she could've hiked to Sausalito or Marin. At the north end of the bridge (in the big Marin side parking lot) there's a trail you can take to hike to Sausalito after crossing the bridge.

Last edited:
last heard from/seen 9/30...reported missing 10/2...alert issued on 10/5. That seems like a LOT of time. I feel like other missing persons alerts happen within hours of a person being reported missing. I guess if Syd was kind of under the radar, then it might make sense. I don’t know though.
To clarify, the 2nd was a Friday afternoon at 2 PM, the 3rd and 4th are over a weekend, and the 5th is a Monday. I can't see all of this activity happening over a weekend to get permission from the courts to get a warrant, to get the warrant to the companies, to have the legal dept of the companies okay it, have the companies assign resources to it, extract the data, and analyze it all over the weekend.

To clarify, the 2nd was a Friday afternoon at 2 PM, the 3rd and 4th are over a weekend, and the 5th is a Monday. I can't see all of this activity happening over a weekend to get permission from the courts to get a warrant, to get the warrant to the companies, to have the legal dept of the companies okay it, have the companies assign resources to it, extract the data, and analyze it all over the weekend.

Fair point. Thanks :)

The fact that she was apparently seen on the bridge itself, and that it was foggy, is not a good sign at all.

It explains how she could have potentially gone over, and no one saw a thing.

I think the only chance she is ever found, is if she didn’t jump. I say this because if she went over and hasn’t been found yet, then she’s probably no longer recoverable (tides out to the ocean).

It’s really the only thing that makes sense to me, as I get the impression the family may be aware of things that we are not.

Not optimistic I’m afraid.

The fact that she was apparently seen on the bridge itself, and that it was foggy, is not a good sign at all.

It explains how she could have potentially gone over, and no one saw a thing.

I think the only chance she is ever found, is if she didn’t jump. I say this because if she went over and hasn’t been found yet, then she’s probably no longer recoverable (tides out to the ocean).

It’s really the only thing that makes sense to me, as I get the impression the family may be aware of things that we are not.

Not optimistic I’m afraid.

Unfortunately I think the same. At the start it was said she was last seen “near the bridge” I kinda took that as she was most likely on it! Hoping for the best, but fear the worst. Wanting some answers for the family.
Moo

Speaking from my previous post about the GGB theory, this theory is only more strong now. Prior, Syd was last seen or heard from at Crissy Field around 5:30 am, but new info suggests she was on the Bridge at 6:45 am. This again leans toward the theory that she did in fact jump from the bridge. I think if she is found, she likely left on her own terms, maybe trying to get away from the stress of being a college student. If she is not found, it only provides a more confident theory of suicide, as there are cases where bodies have not been recovered. No official statements, but changing narratives from Crissy Field to GGB is a bump in the investigation.

So now we have a pic of Syd with her hair up and with her glasses on, as well as with her hair pulled back and no glasses. These may be useful to any commuters, cyclists, joggers, walkers who were in that area between 6:45 and 7 am on Wednesday 30th September.

I hope that people can remember back a month ago. I hope that for some reason Syd stuck in their memory.

Being foggy, maybe she had the hood of her teal coloured hoodie over her head?

xx2.JPG xx2.JPG

Parents of San Francisco woman who went missing release new video
Please contact SF Police 415-575-4444 and our private investigator at 925-705-8328

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member