CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing.
Are there any off-grid communities in the Bay Area or surrounding areas?

Bolinas is one community that comes to mind. The turnoff sign to get there from the main road regularly disappears soon after the county puts up a new one. She would have had to get across the bridge though, which I suppose could have been done on foot but I think that surveillance would have picked that up.

Bolinas is one community that comes to mind. The turnoff sign to get there from the main road regularly disappears soon after the county puts up a new one. She would have had to get across the bridge though, which I suppose could have been done on foot but I think that surveillance would have picked that up.
Bolinas community does not love the younger generation coming into their small town..

I agree that it is upsetting and confusing that local posters to this thread are reporting there is no local coverage. I don’t understand why the case is open with no local call to action. If there was certain knowledge of what happened, then the case would not be open. If there is no certain knowledge of what happened then why would it not be covered? Again, the way this disappearance is being managed seems unique so most likely there are unique circumstances behind the scenes. It’s only frustrating because we are concerned for her safety and welfare yet we observe discrepancies we don’t understand - and these discrepancies would seem to hamper a quicker resolution.

Vigil for missing teen set for Thursday in downtown Pleasanton
Syd West, a former Foothill High School student who returned to the Bay Area for college after her family moved from Pleasanton to North Carolina several years ago, was last seen in San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge during the early-morning hours on Sept. 30. She is considered at-risk, according to authorities.

There were no new updates on her disappearance as of Monday afternoon, according to Sgt. Michael Andraychak of the San Francisco Police Department, the lead agency on the case.
Snipped from the article due to the 10% rule for copyright

For decades Bolinas been a very small, insular coastal community, notably home to many artists and writers. Residents place great value on community, and on and preserving their iconcolastic way of life there. They don't want tourists, commercial endeavors, growth, or (usually) newcomers -- once those things come, you can never really go back.

I've been there, just to check it out for less than an hour -- some of my favorite poets, writers, and artists have lived or been based there and I just had to see it. But that's all.

A few years ago there was an article in the New York Times titled "Bolinas, Calif., the Town That Didn't Want Company."

Last edited:
<Modsnip>

I am really hoping that her last location being near GG Bridge and the phone ping was an orchestrated effort by SW to make those looking for her believe she left her life at the bridge. Now that we know about the other phone it could be possible she left her phone at Crissy intentionally (or last used it there).

Last edited by a moderator:
this is really eye opening on her struggles and out look in life. It shows that she really sought out help

I think like most young people these days she was learning new ways to handle the stress many face in their lives. Mindfulness is a great way to put everything into perspective and reduce stress. Goes along with the yoga retreat she attended while on her gap year.

<Modsnip>

If Sydney is reading this: don’t worry about calling your parents or anyone else - you wouldn’t have disappeared unless you really needed to. Take your time and take care of yourself - nothing else matters. Don’t feel pressured by posts saying “call your mom,” etc. Just stay safe. There will be time to sort out everything as long as you stay safe.

I would really love to know who last saw her or had contact with her & what the nature of the communication was. Had she been distraught? Acting bizarrely? Her normal self? I assume LE has this information and is guarding it closely for a reason, but what is the reason?

I would really love to know who last saw her or had contact with her & what the nature of the communication was. Had she been distraught? Acting bizarrely? Her normal self? I assume LE has this information and is guarding it closely for a reason, but what is the reason?

As an adult, if Syd has chosen to go missing, then the police won't release any info due to Syd's privacy and her right to live how she wants.

The police may have come to their own conclusion, maybe even have some info indicating that Syd may have chosen to go her own way. Live independently of everyone, without any pressures.

Quoted statement was removed.

But why? Do you think they are trying to protect Sydney’s privacy? Based on the way they use the past tense, I don’t think the family believes she has disappeared voluntarily. It’s very puzzling.

If Sydney is reading this: don’t worry about calling your parents or anyone else

Quote RSBM.

I have to respectfully disagree. We have cases here where parents have described not knowing what happened to their child as unending torture.

Yes an adult is allowed to start a new life and doesn't owe anyone anything. But ideally you just let them know you're okay. Write a letter. Of course you don't have to call.

Quote RSBM.

I have to respectfully disagree. We have cases here where parents have described not knowing what happened to their child as unending torture.

Yes an adult is allowed to start a new life and doesn't owe anyone anything. But ideally you just let them know you're okay. Write a letter. Of course you don't have to call.

In Australia, they say just to let the police know. The police will ensure the missing person is who they say they are, and that they are safe.
Then the police will advise the family that the missing person does not want to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100