CA - Tesla crash off cliff shocked rescuers, Dr. dad arrested for attempted murder of family, Devil’s Slide, Jan 2023

arielilane

Justice for Liz Barraza
Reaction score
Website
www.whokilledlizbarraza.com

Doctor accused of intentionally driving Tesla off cliff in Calif. with wife, kids​

The driver of a Tesla that plunged 250 feet off a notorious California cliff Monday has been arrested — after authorities say he intentionally drove over the edge with his wife and two children inside the car.

Dharmesh Patel, a 41-year-old physician from Pasadena, will be booked on attempted murder and child abuse charges once he is out of a hospital, the California Highway Patrol said in a statement.

“CHP investigators worked throughout the night interviewing witnesses and gathering evidence from the scene,” the highway patrol said in a statement.

“Based on the evidence collected, investigators developed probable cause to believe this incident was an intentional act.”

Interesting that the original reports stated the three passengers were his wife and two children.
Now all reports state that their relationship to the driver is unknown at this time.

Either way. here's hoping for a full recovery of the three victims.

I wonder what the possible motivation could be, and how they first determined it was intentional, if it was the data or the witnesses. The map I saw showed that he made a U-turn and went back and drove off the cliff.

Those poor children. I can't imagine. I hope they will have access to serious therapy.

1672885089410.png

Rescuers were shocked to find that all four members of a family whose Tesla crashed off a 250-foot cliff in California had survived - branding it a “miracle”.

But the case took an even more astonishing turn soon after - with the father accused of deliberately causing the crash.

Dharmesh Patel, a doctor from Pasadena, has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and child abuse after his electric vehicle plunged from the Pacific Coast Highway in Northern California in an area known as Devil’s Slide on Monday morning, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said in a statement.

Mr Patel, his wife Neha, and their nine-year-old son and four-year-old daughter “miraculously” survived the crash and were pulled off a craggy outcrop in a daring air rescue mission before being flown to hospital with critical injuries.

He is due to be booked into San Mateo County Jail when he is released from hospital, according to the San Francisco CHP bureau.

What do we know about the crash?

Investigators say they were called to reports that a vehicle had driven off cliffs just south of the Tom Lantos tunnels known as the Devil’s Slide at 10.15am on 2 January.

The Devil’s Slide is a steep, rocky and winding coastal route around 15 miles (24 kms) south of San Francisco.

Emergency teams from the California Fire San Mateo-Santa Cruz Unit, the CHP, the US Coast Guard and the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office responded to the crash site, on a narrow outcrop of coastline at the bottom of a sheer cliff face.

“Based on the evidence collected, investigators developed probable cause to believe this incident was an intentional act,” the bureau said in a statement on 3 January.

The cliff is colloquially known as the Devil's Slide, and has been the site of a number of fatalities over the years. It's located near Pacifica, about 15 miles South of San Francisco, along the famous coastal Highway 1. The route, which runs almost the entire length of California's Pacific coastline, attracts tourists from around the world.

After investigating through Tuesday morning, the CHP said "investigators developed probable cause to believe this incident was an intentional act." The CHP has not specified what led them to that conclusion.

The CHP added that they do not currently think the Telsa's self-drive feature was a factor in the crash. "There has been no determination as to what driving mode the Tesla was in; however, that does not appear to be a contributing factor in this incident," the CHP release said.

In a video update shared on Monday, Brian Pottenger, a battalion chief for Coastside Fire Protection District/Cal Fire, said that damage to the vehicle suggested it "flipped several times" before landing, on its wheels, upon the beach.

omg he's been arrested????

I was following this story earlier and had no idea it would turn out like this. I just assumed it was an accident.
I would think this one might be pretty hard to prove unless he has a history as a domestic abuser, had made threats before and/or the kids and wife are talking and indicating it was done on purpose.

Everyone survived. I imagine the wife told them it was intentional.
I wonder if he said anything to her before driving off the cliff or if it was just explicitly obvious and he didn't try to hide what he was doing, like yanked the wheel really dramatically or something. Maybe in the shock of still being alive and his plan going so "wrong" he confessed on the spot after questioning. I'm so happy for the wife and her children that they made it, but what an absolutely devastating and life-altering experience for her. Thank god she has both of her kids alive and well still. I hope that piece of scum calling himself her husband absolutely rots.

Who Is Dharmesh Patel? Tesla Driver Arrested for Attempted Murder of Family​

Police have said 41-year-old Dharmesh Patel of Pasadena, California, attempted to kill his family on Monday by driving them off a 250-foot cliff at Devil's Slide in the County of San Mateo.

The entire family was rescued and no one suffered serious injuries, but all four were taken to the hospital, according to a NDTV report.

Driver Patel will face charges of attempted murder and child abuse after he leaves the hospital, following an investigation into the crash, according to a statement released by the California Highway Patrol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back