Deceased/Not Found CA - Trayshawn Harris, 6, & Joshua Greely, 1, San Francisco, 19 Oct 2005 *Mom guilty*

SadieMae said:
I wondered the same thing. After she dropped the first one in, why didn't anyone take her down? A witness had time to call 911 for gosh sakes. If I had seen a woman doing that, witnesses would have to call 911 to get me off her crazy *ss. I'm not that familiar with the bridge, but apparently there were quite a few people there at the time?

No kidding, my gosh if I saw someone dropping children to their deaths I hope I could muster the couragne to tackle her and stop her from dropping any more.

SAN FRANCISCO - The Oakland mother who threw her three boys in chilly San Francisco Bay will stand trial on three counts of murder that could bring the death penalty, a judge ruled Thursday.

Lashuan Harris, 23, told police and a psychiatrist after the Oct. 19 drownings that God told her to sacrifice her children, according to testimony at her three-day preliminary hearing in San Francisco Superior Court.

Judge Teri Jackson determined there was enough evidence for Harris to stand trial in the deaths of Treyshun Harris, 6, Taronta Greeley Jr., 2, and Joshoa Greeley, 16 months.

Harris has pleaded not guilty to three counts of murder. Under a special circumstance alleging multiple deaths she could face execution, but prosecutors have not said if they will seek the death penalty.

Her lawyer claims Harris is a paranoid schizophrenic who was acting under the belief that God wanted her to kill.

In her videotaped confession to police, Harris described how she struggled with two of her boys as she stripped them and plunged them from Pier 7 in an area where tourists stroll along the waterfront. Her youngest boy laughed, thinking it was a game.

One of the bodies was recovered, but the others were never found.

www.dallasnews.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- A prosecutor insists a 24-year-old mother who dropped her three children into San Francisco Bay knew what she was doing, despite her mental illness.

The boys, ages 6, 2 and 16 months, all drowned in the bay's cold water 13 months ago.

But the defense attorney told the jury in opening statements that LaShaun Harris is schizophrenic, borderline mentally retarded, and had been put in a psychiatric hospital six times in the 19 months before the killings. The lawyer said Harris heard voices telling her to sacrifice her children to God.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/10409634/detail.html

I surely hope she gets what she deserves

THe saddest part to me is the little baby who was laughing, thinking it was a game. How very sad. Also, I don't care how the woman appeared to be acting, I think I'd have the guts to try to save the kids.

I am not going to go back and read all of this thread, so probably this has been said already, but I feel it needs to be said again: If this woman is borderline mentally retarded and had been hospitalized (psychiatric inpatient stays) multiple times over the year-and-a-half before this occurred, why on EARTH were the children still in her so-called care? May I once again quote Ann Landers? "It is unfortunate that children are so readily available to anyone biologically able to produce them." This is so terribly sad.

Opening arguments outline Harris' multiple breakdownsBy Cecily Burt, STAFF WRITER
Article Last Updated:11/28/2006 07:41:32 AM PSTSAN FRANCISCO — Lashuan Harris was suffering from a psychotic breakdown and following God's orders when she tossed her three young boys over the railing at Pier 7 to drown in San Francisco Bay last fall, her attorney told jurors during opening statements Monday.

Assistant District Attorney Linda Allen agreed Harris has a history of mental illness and that God may in fact have spoken to her and required a living sacrifice; but that doesn't erase the fact that Harris knew her sons would likely drown when she dropped them into the water Oct. 19, 2005.

"She deliberated over her decision — and that she wanted them to die — and she chose to do this," Allen said.

Those differing viewpoints were offered during the first day of Harris' murder trial in San Francisco Superior Court.

Teresa Caffese, chief attorney with the San Francisco Public Defender's office, laid out in detail the numerous psychotic episodes suffered by Harris, 24, to show that her client did not intend to kill her children when she stripped them of all their clothing and dropped them one by one into the chilly Bay.

"She wanted to send her children to heaven and she was (doing that) by putting them in the water," Caffese said. "How do we know that was her intent? Because when she is interviewed by police she said over and over she had to give her babies to Jesus." Between 2002 and the day she left the Salvation Army Shelter in Oakland, took BART to San Francisco andthrew Treyshun Harris, 6,Taronta Greely, 2, and Joshoa Greely, 16 months, to their watery deaths, Harris had been hospitalized in psychiatric institutions six times with auditory hallucinations but received no ongoing care for her mental illness, Caffese said.

Caffese described Harris as a fiercely dedicated mother who loved her children, took good care of them and never left their side if she could help it.

That history is what led many people to believe that Harris would never harm her children, even though she told her cousin on the morning of the drownings that she intended to "throw them in the lake."

Harris showed little emotion during the proceedings, although she stared and smiled slightly as Caffese displayed on a large screen family photographs of her client as a young girl and photos of Harris with her children.

Harris was a ROTC cadet in high school, and she loved to sing and dance, Caffese said. She was only 15 when she met the father of her three sons, Treyshun Harris, 21, and her first child was born when she was only 16.

Despite being a single mom, Harris became a certified nursing assistant and worked at a convalescent hospital. At one point she was able to get her own apartment in West Oakland.

Eventually she started hearing voices and acting strangely. Her family noticed her strange behavior and called 9-1-1 on more than one occasion. In February 2004 Harris had her first psychotic break. She talked repeatedly about "spiritual warfare," to describe the voices in her head. On Feb. 19, 2004, her mother, Avis Harris called 9-1-1 and her daughter was taken to John George Psychiatric Pavilion, the first of six stays in mental hospitals.

In a desperate attempt to help her daughter, Avis Harris followed the advice of Alameda County mobile outreach workers to "get tough," and kicked Harris and the boys out of her home. Allen said she recognizes that the jurors will feel sorry for Harris and her hard life, but those sympathies should not erase the fact that Harris knew who she was, where she was and what she had done when she was questioned by police. more at link:http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/localnews/ci_4733006

I know I read that she had told her mother she was going to feed them to the sharks and that her mother had tried to get temporary custody of the children. That doesn't fall in line with a giving them to jesus defense either but there is documented mental illness just like with Andrea Yates.

POSTED: 2:46 pm PST November 30, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO -- The prosecution rested its case Thursday in the guilt phase of the Lashuan Harris triple-murder trial in San Francisco Superior Court after calling five witnesses and showing hours of an interview with homicide inspectors.

Testimony took less than three days as Assistant District Attorney Linda Allen laid out a scenario in which Harris took her three children from Oakland to the San Francisco waterfront, treated them to a nice day, took them to the end of Pier 7 and, one by one, undressed them and threw them into the water.

Harris quietly watched the proceedings, but at times she sat with her eyes closed and her chin buried in her chest.

Allen called to the stand a father who said he watched Harris throw the first child into the water before he called the police for help. The jury also heard from officers who investigated the scene and a U.S. Coast Guard auxiliary member who found the body of 2-year-old Taronta Greely on the rocks near a yacht club.

But the crux of the prosecution's argument was the videotaped interview between Harris and homicide inspectors Daniel Everson and Dennis Maffei, taken the night of Oct. 19, hours after the children disappeared.

The videotape shows a woman at times distraught and at times confused over the events of the night.

Allen contends that Harris was lucid enough to spell her name, to recall being arrested and to realize she had committed murder. Near the end of the interview, Harris asked Everson, "Are you all going to kill me?" more at link:http://www.ktvu.com/news/10434698/detail.html

I am really curious about the opinion of NAMI and other mental health advocate groups out there regarding this case. I see this as a huge example of a person falling through the cracks.

When she became homeless due to the advice of the county she became virtually invisible. Tough for her own family and the father of her children to track down...it makes me sick that any county employee would have suggested this woman be turned away from her home with her children in tow.

Like many with paranoid schizophrenia she was probably really good at talking a good talk about being well and in control. With bouncing from shelter to shelter she wouldn't have built up a good enough relationship with her social workers for any of them to truly recognize how bad her problem had gotten. Still I am surprised this woman was able to drift from various shelters without any of them trying to locate alternate arrangements for her children.

This case also further underscores the need for ready access to mental health care -homeless and otherwise because obviously this woman was not homeless when her problems first started.

Gmommy said:
Like many with paranoid schizophrenia she was probably really good at talking a good talk about being well and in control. With bouncing from shelter to shelter she wouldn't have built up a good enough relationship with her social workers for any of them to truly recognize how bad her problem had gotten. Still I am surprised this woman was able to drift from various shelters without any of them trying to locate alternate arrangements for her children.

This case also further underscores the need for ready access to mental health care -homeless and otherwise because obviously this woman was not homeless when her problems first started.
No, she had a family, and they knew she had made threats before, that's what I don't understand, why they didn't have the children, and why they allowed her to take the children on a trip across the bay...

LinasK said:
No, she had a family, and they knew she had made threats before, that's what I don't understand, why they didn't have the children, and why they allowed her to take the children on a trip across the bay...
Oh, I am aware she has family and that they knew about her threats. From what I recall her family had tried to gain custody of her children but were unable to build up a case against her based solely on her mental illness-they had their word but no more demonstrable evidence of potentially violent and unstable behavior-clinical evidence or videotapes of the behavior would have been better than anecdotal evidence.

As far as her family allowing her to take a trip across the bay I can't see how they could've prevented or even been aware of that given her living circumstances.

Gmommy said:
As far as her family allowing her to take a trip across the bay I can't see how they could've prevented or even been aware of that given her living circumstances.

Exactly. Wasn't she living in a homeless shelter?

A jury on Tuesday found a 24-year-old Oakland woman guilty of three counts of assault on a child causing death in the 2005 drownings of her three children.

LaShuan Harris also faces three counts of murder and jurors quickly resumed their deliberations after announcing the partial verdict. The assault convictions alone carry a maximum punishment of life in prison. Prosecutors have said they would not seek the death penalty.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_009152311.html

IdahoMom said:
I'm sorry, but I don't get why all these Dads forgive these women! :slap:

For what it's worth, IMO, if you can't forgive then your whole life's energy is taken up by hatred.

A San Francisco jury today acquitted a woman of first-degree murder charges in the 2005 drowning deaths of her three children, but convicted her of lesser assault charges that still carry a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Jurors continue to deliberate the possibility of convicting LaShuan Harris of second-degree murder or manslaughter.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23227

Oops, sorrry for the double info. Also, I didn't realize that the newer charges still carried a max penalty of life in prison. That at least makes it less disapointing. Although I'm not sure prison will do any good for this woman...she needs help.

I just don't feel sorry for mothers who do this type of thing. I personally think that she should not get to live, since her children didn't.

chicoliving said:
A 24-year-old Oakland woman who tossed her three young sons to their deaths in San Francisco Bay has been convicted of three counts of second-degree murder.

Lashuan Harris showed little emotion today as the verdicts were read in a San Francisco courtroom.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_016183020.html
thanks for the update Chico--
little emotion shown---:bang: :sick:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member