CA - Use of deadly force by police disappears on Richmond streets

It did not come up that way for me. Maybe we are using different browsers? What is the 'sigh' for? Are you implying I am being dishonest?

No, I'm annoyed that you're implying WE are being dishonest that it's a paid site.

Please link us to a site that is not a subscription site so we can read the outcome of that lawsuit. TIA

It did not come up that way for me. Maybe we are using different browsers? What is the 'sigh' for? Are you implying I am being dishonest?

It's a subscription or membership site only. However it comes up for you might be because you have one or other, but for someone who doesn't only a paragraph appears and then you're asked to sign in using your membership or subscription. This is common for many sites. It's not weird.

I think so too.

What do you think the effect of this type of training would be if it were adapted in other cities?

I know we've seen tons of comments in other threads that police need better training, this seems to be a good model. THoughts?

I think this type of training - if started everywhere in North America in 2008 as in Richmond - would be reaping benefits all around - eliminating the huge problems that exist today.

Jmo.

The only name I was able to glean from the WSJ article about the officers lawsuit was from a snippet that was posted above. The name was Lt Shawn Pickett.

That was 2006.

Here is what he had to say in this December 2014 article:

http://www.peaceandjustice.org/use-of-deadly-force-by-police-disappears-on-richmond-streets/

“Richmond police Lt. Shawn Pickett says Magnus changed the department from one that focused on “impact teams” of officers who roamed rough neighborhoods looking to make arrests to one that required all officers to adopt a “community policing” model, which emphasizes relationship building.

“We had generations of families raised to hate and fear the Richmond police, and a lot of that was the result of our style of policing in the past,” Pickett said. “It took us a long time to turn that around, and we’re seeing the fruits of that now. There is a mutual respect now, and some mutual compassion.”"​

The only name I was able to glean from the WSJ article about the officers lawsuit was from a snippet that was posted above. The name was Lt Shawn Pickett.

That was 2006.

http://www.peaceandjustice.org/use-of-deadly-force-by-police-disappears-on-richmond-streets/

“Richmond police Lt. Shawn Pickett says Magnus changed the department from one that focused on “impact teams” of officers who roamed rough neighborhoods looking to make arrests to one that required all officers to adopt a “community policing” model, which emphasizes relationship building.

“We had generations of families raised to hate and fear the Richmond police, and a lot of that was the result of our style of policing in the past,” Pickett said. “It took us a long time to turn that around, and we’re seeing the fruits of that now. There is a mutual respect now, and some mutual compassion.”"​

It seems to me there were hurty feelings and anger and frustration back when Magnus first took over the department, but over time, that was healed and mended? That's the impression I'm getting from other articles and things. Maybe they resisted the change of a new Chief at first, but over time realized his overall intentions?

Seems like everything worked out in the end, JMO.

That was 2006.

“We had generations of families raised to hate and fear the Richmond police, and a lot of that was the result of our style of policing in the past,” Pickett said. “It took us a long time to turn that around, and we’re seeing the fruits of that now. There is a mutual respect now, and some mutual compassion.”"

This is exactly what we all want to hear.

IMO The "impact teams" model reinforces the us vs. them dynamic.

It seems to me there were hurty feelings and anger and frustration back when Magnus first took over the department, but over time, that was healed and mended? That's the impression I'm getting from other articles and things. Maybe they resisted the change of a new Chief at first, but over time realized his overall intentions?

Seems like everything worked out in the end, JMO.

I think most people fear change in general. New Chief, new attitude, new practices... that's a lot to adjust to all at once.

Richmond Racial Bias Trial Pits Police Chief vs. Black Officers
By Jon Brooks
FEBRUARY 10, 2012

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2012/02/10/richmond-racial-bias-trial-pits-police-chief-vs-black-officers

With links to another couple of articles

“The plaintiffs are asking for monetary relief and something in the way of promotions they think are due. There are seven black commanding officers who are suing, each of them has been there a long time, and they thought they were passed over for racist reasons.

When Chief Magnus first arrived in 2006, after a few months he promoted the only white female on the staff and a Latino man to deputy chief. In a heavily black city like Richmond, the plaintiffs say, you should have some black representation in your top command. The chief says he just wanted the most qualified people and that he was promoting diversity by having a woman and a Latino as his second in command.”​

Richmond Racial Bias Trial Pits Police Chief vs. Black Officers
By Jon Brooks
FEBRUARY 10, 2012

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2012/02/10/richmond-racial-bias-trial-pits-police-chief-vs-black-officers

With links to another couple of articles

“The plaintiffs are asking for monetary relief and something in the way of promotions they think are due. There are seven black commanding officers who are suing, each of them has been there a long time, and they thought they were passed over for racist reasons.

When Chief Magnus first arrived in 2006, after a few months he promoted the only white female on the staff and a Latino man to deputy chief. In a heavily black city like Richmond, the plaintiffs say, you should have some black representation in your top command. The chief says he just wanted the most qualified people and that he was promoting diversity by having a woman and a Latino as his second in command.”​

This seems subjective. I'm not against affirmative action or promoting diversity, not at all, but "heavily black" prompted me to look up the numbers.

From 2010:
39% Latin/Hispanic
26% African-American
31% White

Finding bits and pieces.

Sergeant testifies he was denied promotion in descrimination suit against Chief Magnus
By Rachel Waldholz
Posted January 27, 2012 8:00 am

http://richmondconfidential.org/201...-in-descrimination-suit-against-chief-magnus/

“Jenkins also testified that he was denied a promotion to captain because of his race, despite three times passing the captain’s test. But during cross-examination, he agreed with defense attorney Geoffrey Spellberg that Magnus promoted four black officers in April 2006, two to lieutenant and two to captain. He also said that Magnus told him he would not skip ranks. Jenkins is a sergeant; the next rank is lieutenant, then captain.”​

Duh!

The Wall Street Journal is a paid site and has been since it was bought out by Murdock. And there doesn't seem to be a '10 free views' like some newspapers have.

This is from 2012 at the conclusion of the jury trial:

Updated: Jury Exonerates Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus
By John Geluardi
East Bay Express
Tuesday April 10, 2012

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Seven...exonerates-richmond-police-chief-chris-magnus

“A Contra Costa County jury today ruled that Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus did not engage in discrimination against seven high-ranking black officers in the department. The jury also completely exonerated now retired Deputy Chief Lori Ritter and the City of Richmond of any wrongdoing.

The jury's unanimous verdict also validates Magnus' reform efforts within the once-troubled Richmond Police Department. The department had been plagued by scandal and ineffectiveness. But under Magnus, it has turned into a model police agency. And the lawsuit against him was widely viewed in the city as an attempt to derail his work, and restore the now-discredited power structure that once controlled RPD.

The defendants’ lawyers told the jury during closing arguments that the seven plaintiffs were a cabal of self-interested command staffers who were upset that Magnus had abolished the buddy system that had facilitated their rise to the highest positions in the police department through intimidation, race baiting tactics, and backroom deal-making.”

“The jury concluded unanimously that none of the plaintiffs' allegations against Magnus and the city were true.”

“Magnus thanked the city and community for supporting him during what he described as the biggest ordeal of his life. He said the police department will now begin an uncertain process of healing after five years of interdepartmental division related to the lawsuit. All of the plaintiffs remain police officers in Richmond. “There are no easy answers to how we’ll heal,” Magnus said. “We’ll have to work together and show respect to each other and focus on reducing crime and working with the community.””​

This is from 2012 at the conclusion of the jury trial:

Updated: Jury Exonerates Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus
By John Geluardi
East Bay Express
Tuesday April 10, 2012

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Seven...exonerates-richmond-police-chief-chris-magnus

“A Contra Costa County jury today ruled that Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus did not engage in discrimination against seven high-ranking black officers in the department. The jury also completely exonerated now retired Deputy Chief Lori Ritter and the City of Richmond of any wrongdoing.

The jury's unanimous verdict also validates Magnus' reform efforts within the once-troubled Richmond Police Department. The department had been plagued by scandal and ineffectiveness. But under Magnus, it has turned into a model police agency. And the lawsuit against him was widely viewed in the city as an attempt to derail his work, and restore the now-discredited power structure that once controlled RPD.

The defendants’ lawyers told the jury during closing arguments that the seven plaintiffs were a cabal of self-interested command staffers who were upset that Magnus had abolished the buddy system that had facilitated their rise to the highest positions in the police department through intimidation, race baiting tactics, and backroom deal-making.”

“The jury concluded unanimously that none of the plaintiffs' allegations against Magnus and the city were true.”

“Magnus thanked the city and community for supporting him during what he described as the biggest ordeal of his life. He said the police department will now begin an uncertain process of healing after five years of interdepartmental division related to the lawsuit. All of the plaintiffs remain police officers in Richmond. “There are no easy answers to how we’ll heal,” Magnus said. “We’ll have to work together and show respect to each other and focus on reducing crime and working with the community.””​

Thank you SO much for the update! I was meaning to dig around but didn't have time.

The Wall Street Journal is a paid site and has been since it was bought out by Murdock. And there doesn't seem to be a '10 free views' like some newspapers have.

I don't have an account or subscription and I got the full article. But I have had that problem on other sites linked here, may even had had it happen with WSJ in the past. I looked and they don't have a cached version of the article.

This seems subjective. I'm not against affirmative action or promoting diversity, not at all, but "heavily black" prompted me to look up the numbers.

From 2010:
39% Latin/Hispanic
26% African-American
31% White

In 2000:

Black 35,279 35.6%
Hispanic 26,319 26.5%
White 21,081 21.2%

In those 10 years, the Hispanic population had a big increase. The city didn't grow that much during those 10 years, 99k to 103k, but it looks like the Hispanic numbers grew while the black population has decreased. Oakland's black population is also shrinking, and while the Hispanic pop has also increased, it's not as dramatic as in Richmond.

http://www.bayareacensus.ca.gov/cities/Richmond.htm

http://www.bayareacensus.ca.gov/cities/Oakland.htm

I don't have an account or subscription and I got the full article. But I have had that problem on other sites linked here, may even had had it happen with WSJ in the past. I looked and they don't have a cached version of the article.

I don't have an account or a subscription either. And I have no idea how to find another site that has the same article.

I don't blame those 7 African American Officers for being upset about being passed over by younger officers, getting promoted over them. They put in their time for decades.

It is kind of interesting. If he was a strict, conservative, law and order guy that had passed these black officers over, would every one here be applauding him and saying what a great Chief he was?

I don't blame those 7 African American Officers for being upset about being passed over by younger officers, getting promoted over them. They put in their time for decades.

It is kind of interesting. If he was a strict, conservative, law and order guy that had passed these black officers over, would every one here be applauding him and saying what a great Chief he was?

This is a purely argumentative and meaningless hypothetical, seeing as a jury unanimously determined that there was no basis to any of the plaintiffs' allegations of racism.

This is a purely argumentative and meaningless hypothetical, seeing as a jury unanimously determined that there was no basis to any of the plaintiffs' allegations of racism.

I didn't say anything about it being racism. The jury did not find any evidence of it being racist. But it doesn't change the fact that they all were passed over, and there were twenty internal investigations done of the 7 officers , and only one charge was ever brought against them. So it seemed there was some harassment, imo.

UBM

Maybe that's all they did. In the private sector, promotions are not handed out for simply putting in time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back