CA CA - Vanessa Smith, 15, Winton, 31 May 1997

In about 2010-ish, my mother married someone named Steve, I think on a trip to Vegas (so a marriage license might be able to be found there), and I can't remember his last name. I never met him, and never cared to. Winton scum. I also no longer have contact with my mother. She's scum as well. She told me that Steve told her he killed Vanessa, and that her body is in an oil drum somewhere in the area. My mother was so nonchalant about it. She does know very bad people there, and didn't think twice about getting mixed up with them. For much of my life, she wasn't into that scene, but after my dad died (gunshot to the head), she dived down that hole. So I don't doubt at all that he told her that. I wish I could remember his last name. I just remember his name is Steve, he had blonde hair in pics that I saw, and he had a cane of some sort. Winton isn't a huge town.

Just wondering if this poster ever responded to anyone about her tip. It seems odd to join Websleuths, make two VERY concerning posts with a possible clue, then dissappear.

This is the first I've heard of this case. Vanessa's father passed away May 1, 2019, and I read about Vanessa and her disappearance, which was mentioned in his obituary published in our Church newsletter. At the time of her disappearance, Vanessa was a member in her parents' church, the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. I am also a member of this church conference (in a different state), and from the obituary, I can see that one of my brothers is married to a second cousin of Vanessa's. But, I don't have any personal knowledge of the case, or Vanessa herself.

Vanessa Dawn Smith – The Charley Project
The above link listing the clothes Vanessa was last seen wearing lists a "black headcover." This would indicate that she was an active member at the time, which the article also states. Her parents were likely members at the time, also, but they don't appear to be now, based on the obituary and the mainstream clothing worn by Vanessa's mother in interviews over the years. As a member, Vanessa would have gone to the private grade school operated by her congregation. She had just graduated from the 8th grade.

I see that many investigators of this case emphasize that statistically, stranger abductions are rare, so they don't believe that Vanessa was taken by a stranger, either. MOO here, but I'm guessing that this is a point Vanessa's parents don't agree with. A 14 year old girl, raised in a two-parent Mennonite home, attending her church-run school, "statistically" isn't going to know very many people outside her church circle. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but Vanessa's likely opportunities for becoming acquainted with people without her parents' knowledge is pretty low. I was able to find some information on her congregation (Winton Mennonite Church) from 1999 in the book "Histories of the Congregations" by Gospel Publishers. It states there were 150 members over 50 yrs of age, and 50 members under 21. I'm guessing the congregation consisted of around 60-70 families. She would have been driven to school by her parents, or possibly carpooled with another nearby member family. There were 56 students (grades 1-8) in school, and likely 4-6 teachers, all members themselves or children of members. As a Mennonite, she wouldn't have a camera, radio or TV, or attended local fairs, bands, concerts, amusement parks, swimming pools, or sports events. She wouldn't have had a cell phone (We do use them, but not 14 year olds in 1997.) If her family had a computer, it would have been used for business purposes only (like farm/business accounting, or design, like carpenter work.) Internet access/emails were not allowed then, without approval from the ministers to show that it was absolutely needed for a business purpose only, and that an internet filter was installed, and that the computer was properly locked to prevent access by children. I can't speak for own family, but most Mennonite parents would accompany 14 yr olds when shopping.

So this is just some background on the life of a typical 14 yr old Mennonite girl in 1997. To me, normal statistics don't exactly fit this missing girl. I hope investigators take this into account, and don't entirely dismiss stranger abduction.

We Saw Vanessa Dawn Smith Walking Alone That Day, Winton Residents say - Merced Daily
smith4a.jpg

May 31 2019
"According to the Sheriff’s Department, they believe Vanessa Smith was taken by someone she most likely knew.

But now, for the first time an elderly couple from Winton, tells Merced Daily the time they saw Vanessa Smith Walking the day of her disappearance.

“I was waiting for my husband to get home from work that Saturday evening. We were both going to go to a residence where a vehicle was listed as for sale in the local paper.”

“When my husband came home we left. We drove on Mercedes Avenue to get to our destination. While my husband was driving we both noticed a female teenager walking alone with a stick in hand, but we didn’t think anything of it. We both continued on.”
"Merced Daily has already emailed a detailed description of what both witnesses saw to the Merced County Sheriffs Crime Unit.

Both witnesses tell Merced Daily they never told the Sheriffs Department because they feared some type of retaliation and just didn’t want to get involved."

Just wondering if this poster ever responded to anyone about her tip. It seems odd to join Websleuths, make two VERY concerning posts with a possible clue, then dissappear.

This is the first I've heard of this case. Vanessa's father passed away May 1, 2019, and I read about Vanessa and her disappearance, which was mentioned in his obituary published in our Church newsletter. At the time of her disappearance, Vanessa was a member in her parents' church, the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. I am also a member of this church conference (in a different state), and from the obituary, I can see that one of my brothers is married to a second cousin of Vanessa's. But, I don't have any personal knowledge of the case, or Vanessa herself.

Vanessa Dawn Smith – The Charley Project
The above link listing the clothes Vanessa was last seen wearing lists a "black headcover." This would indicate that she was an active member at the time, which the article also states. Her parents were likely members at the time, also, but they don't appear to be now, based on the obituary and the mainstream clothing worn by Vanessa's mother in interviews over the years. As a member, Vanessa would have gone to the private grade school operated by her congregation. She had just graduated from the 8th grade.

I see that many investigators of this case emphasize that statistically, stranger abductions are rare, so they don't believe that Vanessa was taken by a stranger, either. MOO here, but I'm guessing that this is a point Vanessa's parents don't agree with. A 14 year old girl, raised in a two-parent Mennonite home, attending her church-run school, "statistically" isn't going to know very many people outside her church circle. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but Vanessa's likely opportunities for becoming acquainted with people without her parents' knowledge is pretty low. I was able to find some information on her congregation (Winton Mennonite Church) from 1999 in the book "Histories of the Congregations" by Gospel Publishers. It states there were 150 members over 50 yrs of age, and 50 members under 21. I'm guessing the congregation consisted of around 60-70 families. She would have been driven to school by her parents, or possibly carpooled with another nearby member family. There were 56 students (grades 1-8) in school, and likely 4-6 teachers, all members themselves or children of members. As a Mennonite, she wouldn't have a camera, radio or TV, or attended local fairs, bands, concerts, amusement parks, swimming pools, or sports events. She wouldn't have had a cell phone (We do use them, but not 14 year olds in 1997.) If her family had a computer, it would have been used for business purposes only (like farm/business accounting, or design, like carpenter work.) Internet access/emails were not allowed then, without approval from the ministers to show that it was absolutely needed for a business purpose only, and that an internet filter was installed, and that the computer was properly locked to prevent access by children. I can't speak for own family, but most Mennonite parents would accompany 14 yr olds when shopping.

So this is just some background on the life of a typical 14 yr old Mennonite girl in 1997. To me, normal statistics don't exactly fit this missing girl. I hope investigators take this into account, and don't entirely dismiss stranger abduction.

I knew Vanessa. Her mother Beverly would babysit me and my cousins when we were younger. In fact I had to go to school with Vanessa one day when the school I attended was out for the day, and my mother couldn't find anyone to babysit me. The school was in Livingston 5 miles outside of winton. I remember playing baseball with the kids at the school. However Vanessa did know and have relationships with people outside of her Mennonite society. Everyone in winton knows each other. However if you know Winton the most likely scenario would seem to be a tweeker just on a good one doing something terrible. Or just a random abduction. People used to say it was an illegal alien farm laborer, or hells angels (who had a huge presence in the area). There was also a theory that she ran away because of abuse from her brother. I don't know that there is any truth to that. Sadly unless someone talks it will most likely be a case that never gets solved. I hope her family can find some sense of peace.

I knew Vanessa. Her mother Beverly would babysit me and my cousins when we were younger. In fact I had to go to school with Vanessa one day when the school I attended was out for the day, and my mother couldn't find anyone to babysit me. The school was in Livingston 5 miles outside of winton. I remember playing baseball with the kids at the school. However Vanessa did know and have relationships with people outside of her Mennonite society. Everyone in winton knows each other. However if you know Winton the most likely scenario would seem to be a tweeker just on a good one doing something terrible. Or just a random abduction. People used to say it was an illegal alien farm laborer, or hells angels (who had a huge presence in the area). There was also a theory that she ran away because of abuse from her brother. I don't know that there is any truth to that. Sadly unless someone talks it will most likely be a case that never gets solved. I hope her family can find some sense of peace.
Welcome to Ws Por2gee, thanks for your informative and interesting post!

Vanessa Smith
Vanessa2.jpg
SmithVanessaAP16.jpg

Vanessa Smith
''Type of Abduction: Missing, suspicious circumstances
Date Missing: May 31, 1997
Missing From: Winton, California
Sex: Female
Date of Birth: 12-26-81
Race: Caucasian
Complexion: Fair, with freckles
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 130 Lbs.
Other: Birthmark from her shoulder to elbow on her right arm and a scar on left ear.

Circumstances: Vanessa left her home in Winton, California at 7:00 PM and never returned home. Her walking stick was found along the path she normally takes. Vanessa was last seen wearing a light blue dress with an elastic waist and metal buttons. Vanessa's picture is shown age-progressed by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.''

In my digging into this case a bit, I saw a comment on the "Bring Home Vanessa Smith" Facebook page claiming that "her dad knows where he left her". Has anyone else heard any theories that maybe he could have been involved in some way? I know that the police have not released any information stating that, but I thought it was interesting that a comment like that would be allowed on the page run by Vanessa's mother.

There are so many things that could have happened to this pretty girl, I have the impression that she was walking around Mercedes and got into a vehicle owned by someone she knew, she simply put down her cane and got on or they took her by force or her father asked her to be kidnapped. and murdered ..
rest in peace vanessa.

Heartbreaking . I’ve seen this girls photos everyday . I lived in the same county. Just today a post by the MC SD said someone called them saying they found human remains in Snelling . My mind immediately went to her .

Hello everyone !!! My name is Sara White and I am a Paralegal in Merced and I have been actively researching this case and wanted to see if anyone else was interested in helping me with this ? I am trying to get a group together, it seems like this could be easily solved if people would just start talking... I can be reached at bringvdshome@gmail.com :)

Doe Network updated her profile. Not sure what was added.
TY, from link..

1870DFCA - Vanessa Dawn Smith​

Age-Progressed
Age-Progressed

Right 2: Age-progressed by NCMEC to 21 and 29 years

Name: Vanessa Dawn Smith
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: May 31, 1997
Location Last Seen: Winton, Merced County, California

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: December 26, 1981
Race: White
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 130 lbs
Hair Color: Sandy blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Light complexion with freckles. Vanessa has Dewayne's Syndrome in her right eye. Her eye drifts toward the inside. Large birthmark, or discoloration from her shoulder to her elbow on her right arm. Scar on her left ear.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Light blue denim dress, with an elastic waist and silver buttons. White Hurachi sandals, black organdy head cover. (She is a Mennonite)
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Vanessa Smith was last seen about 19:00 when she went for her evening walk in Winton, California on May 31, 1997.

Her walking stick was found along the roadside, along the path she normally takes, on Mercedes Avenue, approximately 200 yards East of Winton Way.

Vanessa's father said his daughter would never go anyplace without asking permission. Foul play is suspected.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back