CA CA- Veta Belford, 19, disappeared from Home Depot, Sacramento, 17 Oct 2020

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by mlhenn, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OzzieB

OzzieB Well-Known Member

She may have been upset after getting laid off work and did not want to tell her family. Maybe she got a ride with someone or maybe she had a boyfriend that her family did not know about? Samoan parents can be very strict and this family was also very involved in church. Maybe she left? I hope she left and was not taken. She was going to Sacramento University... Maybe she met someone her family may not have approved of. Also 3:45pm in a parking lot would seem kind of risky to try and take a person.

2. OzzieB

OzzieB Well-Known Member

Dbm duplicate

3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Thank you for helping her, maybe we can offer some thoughts, if not just compassion and comfort.

Since the precipitating event to Veta's disappearance seems to be the lay-off from Home Depot, I hope more details can be shared. We can either move past it or look deeper. I'd also like to know if Veta has a boyfriend or another person who could have picked her up?

4. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

Oh no, so sad. Poor girl must have been so upset.

5. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Wondering if Veta may have sought out the comfort of a church that she may have attended in her earlier years, or met up with another youth leader?
    As a business management major, it may have been particularly upsetting to be let go from a job.
    imo, speculation.
    https://nypost.com/2020/11/02/calif...-two-weeks-after-being-fired-from-home-depot/
    [​IMG]
    TikTok
    ''Belford is a business management major at Sacramento State and a youth leader at the family’s church. There’s no reason why she would leave on her own and not tell anyone, her sister said.

“She’s very involved in church and loves her role with the youth,” Kitiona said. “We don’t believe she would just leave… so we’re just very worried about her.”

6. moody_chicago

moody_chicago Well-Known Member

Poor thing. Sending her family love.

7. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

I'll speculate she wanted to be alone for awhile after being let-go from her job. Where would she go? What's in walking distance of the Home Depot?

If it were me at age 19, I'd have headed for a Starbucks to-go and taken a walk. Is there any nature nearby where she may have become lost?

Time is of the essence if LE has not already checked every business security camera footage in the area AND appealed to residents nearby to save and review their footage. Better yet if LE reviews it.

8. Vacajoe

Vacajoe Well-Known Member

There are plenty of cameras in that busy parking lot as well as mobile security officers, so it’s doubtful that she was “snatched” without that being noticed. The lack of local media coverage during that initial two weeks means that memories have faded and security footage has likely been recorded over.

DEB-Z, Kittybunny, LotsaLatte and 6 others like this.
  9. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

Please find Veta safe.
    Have shelters been checked? I remember a case here in CA, where a young woman disappeared and was eventually found in a shelter.

10. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

It sounds like she left on foot. I guess I just wonder how far they could track her, maybe there'd somehow be a clue, knowing which direction she walked. For example, was it toward home, toward the church, toward nature, etc.

Charlot123, DEB-Z, misgrn and 3 others like this.
  11. JBCVA

JBCVA New Member

I wonder if find my iPhone was turned on. If her phone gets turned on can that be traced?

misgrn, mlhenn, Marg from Oz and 2 others like this.
  12. azure

azure Well-Known Member

So much empathy for this poor girl. I remember being 18 and getting fired for the first time. My mom was supposed to pick me up from work and it was going to take her awhile to get there because she was expecting me to work my whole shift. I remember being too embarrassed to sit outside the building and walking despondently around the block until my mom showed up.

Are there any open spaces near the Home Depot? Parks, etc?

13. noel leon

noel leon Verified family spokesperson - Veta Belford case

Because this all happened in literally blocks from my house , I knew about it very soon .I reached out to Vetas Mother to tell her about the resources here. The police have not returned the Mothers calls for days and she is feeling desperate. I am assuming because of Vetas age, being 19,has caused the lag time.I showed Vetas Mother the information on here about what to do when a young adult is missing ,and I hope that helped. Hoping we cn get her verified soon so shee can help with the details.

The family has also hired a Private Investigator and they might need some advice on how do deal with that and what to expect.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  14. mlhenn

mlhenn Well-Known Member

Family of missing Sacramento teen searching for answers | abc10.com

Trio Of Sisters Use TikTok To Beg For Help Finding Missing Sibling: 'It Doesn't Make Sense'

However, when Belford’s mother arrived, there was no trace of Belford.

“What we don’t understand is why she didn’t call someone for a ride,” the sister added. “She just walked out of the parking lot and that was it. We don’t know where she would go or who she would meet. It doesn’t make sense.”

Belford’s disappearance has baffled the family, who said it was unusual for the 19-year-old, who is deeply religious, to have gone off the radar for so long without contacting them.

“She always has her charger with her in case she needs to charge her phone,” Easter said. “For her phone to be off, it’s just strange.”

15. KAE

KAE Well-Known Member

Perhaps she was hesitant to tell her parents at the time that she had been laid off. After leaving, she may have intended to return to the store and be picked up at her normal time and inform them at that point. She was then faced with a lot of time on her hands. The weather that day was very warm: 92°F and no rain:
    Sacramento, CA Weather History | Weather Underground

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    DEB-Z, LotsaLatte, misgrn and 9 others like this.
  16. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Veta’s three sisters are also using social media to plead for the safe return of their siblin
    California woman, 19, vanished two weeks ago after being laid off from her job at Home Depot | Daily Mail Online
    ''Search launched for 19-year-old California woman who vanished two weeks ago after being laid off from her job at Home Depot
    • Veta Belford, 19, was last seen by her family on October 17, when her father drove her to work at the Home Depot store in Sacramento for her 2pm shift
    • However, when Veta’s mother Akenese arrived at the store to pick her up at 11:30pm, the teenager was nowhere to be seen
    • Her mother went inside the store and was told by a manager that Veta had left earlier in the afternoon after being laid off from her job
    • Akenese then immediately filed a missing persons report with the Sacramento Police Department just after midnight on October 18
    • A detective with the department's missing persons unit has been assigned to Veta’s case, however the search has yet to yield any significant leads
    • Veta’s three sisters are also using social media to plead for her safe return ''
    [​IMG]

Veta disappeared from the Home Depot store on Truxel Road. Surveillance footage captured her walking out the parking lot at 3:45pm

17. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

My son works with her mother. He told me about Veta ten days ago but there was nothing in MSM to make a thread here. I’ve been watching twitter and retweeting friends and family’s posts. Glad there is finally a thread and hope her family can get some help.

18. Backabeyond

Backabeyond Well-Known Member

Looking at google maps, there seem to be several bodies of water surrounding Home Depot, but little more in the way of nature/parks. That's where I would start searching.

Charlot123, misgrn, HulaMum and 4 others like this.
  19. realanastasia

realanastasia Well-Known Member

20. cpeacock1

cpeacock1 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.