CA CA- Veta Belford, 19, disappeared from Home Depot, Sacramento, 17 Oct 2020

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by mlhenn, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moody_chicago

moody_chicago Well-Known Member

This is concerning. Do you think they know more than they are telling you?

2. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

That is concerning. I wonder if they have her missing poster/info on their social media to help find her.

elliefant, Luckyzmom, MFH and 11 others like this.
  3. noel leon

noel leon Verified family spokesperson - Veta Belford case

I had not thought about that!!!You would think these newer Home Depot Friends that she had been talking every night with for hours,would have her missing info on their facebooks like her sisters and even my daughter did!Hmmmm they do not.

4. agnebelford

agnebelford Verified family member - mother of Veta Belford

Yes I think one off my daughter friend know more then what she is telling me.I’m going to talk to her again if she can go with me to take a lie detective test.I think that’s my next move.Because she is the last person my daughter talk to before she went missing.And it’s show on my daughter phone calls she is the same person she been talking to my daughter every day before she went missing.And my daughter also call her on the Snapchat as a work mom.So I know she is know more what she is telling me.

5. IHAVENOCLUE

IHAVENOCLUE Well-Known Member

Thank you Noel!

I am looking forward to your reports on what the LE shares with you regarding Veta's case!

Luckyzmom, crhedBngr, mlhenn and 9 others like this.
  6. IHAVENOCLUE

IHAVENOCLUE Well-Known Member

Dear Agnebelford,
    This is very interesting information!

I hope this friend of Veta's can bring new leads to Veta's disappearance!

<3 <3 ( ----> These are hearts for you and Veta and all who love and miss her! :) )

Luckyzmom, mlhenn, crhedBngr and 11 others like this.
  7. Vacajoe

Vacajoe Well-Known Member

Definitely send a message using WhatsApp to her cell # (which is likely her WhatsApp #, too). Although her phone has gone dark, she can still access WhatsApp messages via other computers and even her cellphone through WiFi.

I use WhatsApp extensively for traveling both here and abroad. It’s VERY common among her age group to make calls/video calls/messaging via the app so that they won’t show up on the telephone bill.

I would suggest that the message does NOT come from a family member as Veta may not want that contact, but rather from a third party simply directing her to verify she is okay - if she did voluntarily leave, she may respond to that. As for asking her to contact LE, I can’t imagine any 19yo would do that since they would worry about the consequences.

8. Vacajoe

Vacajoe Well-Known Member

What’s the status with her college classes? Have you checked to see if she has logged in since leaving? Was she doing well in her classes?

Did she have a zoom (or similar) account set-up for classes and have you accessed that?

9. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

Everyone I know in Spain from my 13 year old niece to my 75 year old aunt use WhatsApp for texting and calling because they can use it on wifi and don’t eat up their plan minutes and data as most have pay as you go phones that still charge per text and per minute of calls used. Nothing nefarious about the app. Just a way to save money. Some kids here in the US might use it to get around being tracked by their parents but that’s certainly not the case for everyone who uses the app.

10. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

I’m a bit confused. Did you get access to Veta’s phone in some way and that’s how you know who she has been texting, and what apps she was using? @agnebelford

11. agnebelford

yes Because her phone it’s on my plan .So that’s why I was able to get on the get incoming & outgoing call .

12. agnebelford

She never even do her classes since she went missing.

13. Bogyo13

Bogyo13 Well-Known Member

Just a thought: You could post on the friends' Facebook wall Veta's missing poster, although you might need to be friends with them. I'd also check her friends' friend list if public because she might have an account with another name. Same with other social media.
    Also, you could also send the poster to Veta's WhatsApp.
    Hoping for Veta to contact you soon, I really hope see is well and just needs some time alone.
    She might have just left to get some time to think or for an adventure but it's such a long travel and alone there so many things could have happened. Hoping for the best outcome!

14. Kittybunny

Kittybunny Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see the discussion turn towards trying to solicit information from her friends, this was going to be my suggestion because young people confide in friends things they would not to family, even her sisters. Her friend might be shady or perhaps just uncomfortable with the situation. If it wasn't for the bus ticket, I would be very worried about something happening to her immediately after she left Home Depot but that seems a little less likely to me.

In my humble opinion, this was an impulsive action driven by the stress and shame of being fired, perhaps going to NYC was a long-time dream, but I don't believe Veta had a long-term plan.

Is it possible there is someone in NYC she had been talking to and she went there to see them or was directed to go there? Of course.

Even if this was a form of running away from home on her own volition, is Veta vulnerable, in danger, and needing to be found or heard from immediately? Of course.

My heart goes out to her mother and admire her greatly for her strength and determination in the face of her pain.

15. ElementalLaura

ElementalLaura Well-Known Member

Like many communications apps — it’s great to use for communicating with people you know and not always great to use for communicating with people you don’t know. WhatsApp in particular has features that people exploit to use for not-great purposes, and young people may not recognize some scams (I know dating savvy adults who haven’t). IMO, IME, and noted in link posted above.

Luckyzmom, mlhenn, Suglo and 5 others like this.
  16. dalsglen

dalsglen Well-Known Member

Another point about whatsapp, in my four years at uni we set up a whatsapp group for every module we did so we could discuss coursework.

elliefant, Luckyzmom, misgrn and 14 others like this.
  17. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Although Veta is technically a young adult, these tips are still useful, imo...rbbm.
    http://reseauenfantsretour.ong/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/RER-Teen-Runaway-EN.pdf
    ''WHY DO TEENS RUN AWAY?
    The message sent by running away is different depending on whether it was spontaneous or planned. A spontaneous runaway act occurs after an accident, a failure or an intense emotional experience. For the young person, running away may appear to be the only possible solution or as a way out in order to avoid facing a difficult situation. They may be trying to avoid some consequence, humiliation or embarrassment.A planned run away occurs when a young person seeks a life style that they think will lead to self-reliance and self-exploration. This act can represent a way of responding to unmet needs, like independence, freedom and experimentation. It could also be a way to express revolt or opposition to adult authority, a cry for help or a means of coping with a situation which, for them, seems impossible to resolve''

''Young people may spontaneously decide to run away after experiencing an incident, a failure, a conflict or an intense emotion, such as fear of facing the consequences of their actions, anger or grief. In these circumstances, running away seems to be the only possible solution; it may even feel like an escape allowing them to avoid facing their problems.Most of the time, children who run away have usually planned to do so in advance and are well prepared. Therefore it is important to recognize the signs.

''POSSIBLE WARNING SIGNS• Accumulating money and personal possessions (money and clothing hidden in his room);• Talking about running away (some try to anticipate their parents’ reaction on this subject);• Problems at school (academic or behaviour problems);• Family problems;• Alcohol or substance abuse;• A sudden change of friends or companions;• Isolation;• Extreme change of habits (sleeping or eating)
    Anger outbursts (unusual or repeated anger);• Breaking family rules;• Depression''

''HOW TO RESPOND TO A PHONE CALL FROM YOUR CHILD WHILE HE IS ON THE RUN.
    When receiving the much awaited phone call from your child, would you know how to react or what to say? The majority of parents are so relieved to hear from their child, but don’t always feel adequately prepared for that initial conversation.

Following are some questions that will help keep the conversation flowing:• Are you safe?• Are you able to talk? • Do you want to talk?• Is there anyone else you’d like to talk to?• Are you sleeping well?• Are you eating well?• Do you have a safe place to stay?• Is there anything I can do for you?• Do you want me to come pick you up?• Can we talk again? • Can we make a date to talk again?''

''Try to avoid comments like “Please come home, I can’t eat, I can’t sleep!” Instead, say something more along the lines of “l’ve been so worried about you. Thank you for calling.”
    Keep them up to date on things happening within the family (eg.“Your sister won the soccer championship”). ''

18. noel leon

noel leon Verified family spokesperson - Veta Belford case

I can share that the day we went to the Greyhound Station , and the ticket purchased in her name was discovered , I was SO HAPPY! Everyone here knows things could be way way worse.I looked over at my dear friend who was crying and I realized how insensitive I was! To know your child ,who had always been your smiling one, your special one, to leave in such a way ,was crushing .I had to contain my joy and realize that Veta is still at risk, and endangered! I am certain she is hurting too!

19. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

MISSING: Veta Belford, Interview with mother.
    •Streamed live on Nov 20, 2020

Luckyzmom, happyday, misgrn and 9 others like this.
  20. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.