GUILTY CA - Wendy Di Rodio, 61, found murdered, Ventura, 3 June 2009 *Arrest*

archivist

Reaction score
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/may/25/niece-arrested-2009-ventura-keys-killing-wendy-dir/

Less than a month after Wendy Di Rodio was found fatally stabbed in her first-floor bedroom in the Ventura Keys, police had identified her niece as one of several possible suspects....

Police had a feeling it wasn't a botched burglary or a random act of violence. On Friday, those suspicious were confirmed when they arrested 45-year-old Gina Drake, Di Rodio's niece, in the case.

Police arrested Drake at 2:30 p.m. at her work in the 1000 block of East La Loma Avenue in Somis. The Ventura resident, who was married to a Ventura police officer at the time of the slaying, was being held at the Ventura County Pretrial Detention Facility late Friday afternoon on $1 million bail.

Police declined to discuss a possible motive. Police Cmdr. Brock Avery would only say "it appears they were a close family"...

The slaying occurred only two weeks after the fatal stabbings of Brock and Davina Husted in Faria Beach, leading to speculation that the cases were somehow connected. Police, however, said at the time that they could find no such connection, and a different person, Joshua Graham Packer of Ventura, was eventually arrested and charged in the Husted case.

Wow....thanks so much, Archivist for the update. I have followed Wendy's case from the beginning...I'm so glad they have made an arrest......finally. Surprised to hear it was her niece.

Drake was married to Ventura Officer Aaron Drake, who was placed on temporary administrative leave at the start of the investigation. He filed for divorce in June 2009, the same month as the homicide. The divorce has since been finalized.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/may...ventura-keys-killing-wendy-dir/#ixzz1w0mpZdyG
- vcstar.com

[bbm]

interesting bit of info there ... makes me wonder if he suspected or knew something, thus the reason for filing for divorce in the same month as the homicide

Thank you. I was also surprised to hear the niece was arrested. Glad she will get justice.

Interesting Victim Impact Statement from Suzanne Prescott, Gina Drake’s sister (from the Ventura Breeze):

In a victim impact statement titled, “The Nurturing of a Murderer” from Drake’s sister, Suzanne Prescott, she describes her sister like this: What you see before you is the creation and nurturing of a murderer. This is what happens when a child is never told no. When a child is never taught to work for what they want. When a child is always saved from feeling any pain in the world. Prescott had hoped to read her statement to the judge but was denied. Prescott describes her sister as having, “violent mood swings and irrational, reckless outbursts and was an obvious danger to herself and others.”

Prescott says her sister’s over-eight years of freedom was funded by their mother and grandmother. “Saving Gina from any problems or inconveniences was how my family dealt with her behavior.” Prescott thinks that her sister was enraged by their Aunt Wendy’s pending home purchase. “She could never stand for anyone to have more than she did and she was concerned that our grandmother was helping Wendy buy a house.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back