GUILTY CA - William Strier for attempted murder, Van Nuys, 2003

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Babcat, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Babcat

Babcat Former Member

This was unreal to watch...

http://www.courttv.com/trials/blake/103103_ap.html

Bullets fly outside Robert Blake's courthouse

VAN NUYS, Calif. (Court TV) — Drama surrounded the hearing of actor Robert Blake both in and out of the courtroom Friday. Shortly after the judge dismissed conspiracy charges against the former 'Baretta' star, a lawyer was shot outside the courthouse in an apparently unrelated incident.

The 64-year-old gunman, William Strier, opened fire on the attorney at point-blank range on a public walkway, and then calmly walked away. He was tackled moments later by an off-duty sheriff's reserve officer and taken into police custody.

Both the shooting and the gunman's apprehension were captured on film by Court TV cameramen on the scene for the Blake hearing.

2. Loading...

3. Toth

Toth Inactive

You have to realize its a real nutcase who will pump shots into a lawyer at close range right outside a courtroom when there are a zillion reporters and media trucks right there.
    And then he tried to just calmly walk away.

4. alpharee

alpharee Former Member

5. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

I could not believe my eyes when I saw this footage... my god, the shooter was at point blank range! :eek:

That tree must have been riddled with bullets and it sure was that lawyers lucky day to have a tree to duck behind.

Did you notice the people watching from the background? I know you would have to be very careful with a nut firing a gun in public, but still ~ no one tried to tackle him from behind.

Maybe it all happened too fast?

Cass...

6. Toth

Toth Inactive

Safest would have been to grab some of that equipment that was lying around and club the shoorter, not tackle him as he was firing.

The lawyer who eventually did tackle the shooter was unarmed at the time although he is also a Reserve Deputy (does weekend duty probably).

7. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From March 2006:

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/mar/18/local/me-lawyer18