CA, Winek, Mark 69, Sharie 65, Brooke 38--deceased, teen kidnapped, Riverside 11/25/22

The perp is dead, so I don't imagine there's a reason to withhold the results of the autopsies. He was a cop in Virginia, not in Riverside County, California.
There are two unanswered questions here, imo. The cause of the deaths should be fairly obvious to a coroner since he killed them quickly. The medical examiner should be able to figure this out quickly. I would imagine some violence was done here to these persons. How do you kill three people quickly and the cause still remains unknown?? Did he poison them? All the early reports said they were killed before the fire was set. Maybe not? Died from smoke inhalation?

The other mystery is how did he duct tape both their hands behind them, and their feet, all by himself with apparently no resistance. Where was the teenager when all this was happening?? Not casting suspicion here, just wondering about the specifics of the timeline.

Maybe it's just me, but why the delays, and why the silence?? I would just like the loose ends tied up. That's why we're all here, right?
...and still no word on what exactly the cause of death was. Nada. Autopsies performed...then silence.

Why?? The whole thing seems very strange.

This is utterly disgusting. What kind of world do we live in.
I bet there was plenty of red flags, ugh

A world with much wider opportunities for anonymity and for travel than ever before; both known correlates with mass murder, serial killing and even domestic violence.

Also, a lot of people feel entitled to do whatever they want. Lots of interpersonal infractions that fall below the level of criminality, but (IME) are much greater than, say, in the 50's and 60's. 70's and 80's had a lot of anonymous crime across the US (with the 1959 killings detailed in "In Cold Blood" kicking off more nationwide interest in the crimes of distant places.

IMO. I bet there were plenty of red flags in this one, as well.

...and still no word on what exactly the cause of death was. Nada. Autopsies performed...then silence.

Why?? The whole thing seems very strange.

It's still some kind of investigation. And autopsies aren't usually released to the public. Not just in California, but many places. Cause of death and manner of death is on a death certificate (which can be gotten from all US counties, as far as I know, with proper application and a small fee).

Autopsies? Every one I've seen was part of a civil or criminal case in which I was working for an attorney who was privy to the document. We usually had to get a judge to sign off on getting that information. It's personal to the deceased and the pictures are horrific.

If there's no CoD, then that's strange. Is there no local media??

imo

I know we all speculated on how this guy tied up the adults and got the girl out of the house. I am sure it was as easy as him having a gun in his hand, grabbing the girl and telling them he would hurt her if they didn't do what he said. This is such a sad, sad story. He prepared for months to take this girl. This poor family had NO idea of the monster lurking. We have seen several stories warning parent that they need to vigilantly watch their teens internet usage. There are just so many ways that teens can communicate with monsters!

The thing that bothers me is the total silence that ensued after the incident was over. So you have three adults bound somehow by one man, killed
( but we don't know how), then the house set on fire. There were reports that they were killed before the fire was set. I recall seeing another report that said they were not shot.
The media reports of course are not official statements of fact.

As a long-time observer of true crime, these things seem odd. Why the hush hush?

Hopefully, the silence is a sign of internal reviews and investigations being passed through the system, but I have a nasty feeling that they're hoping this will go away and people will stop asking why he was allowed to have police resources.

We now know the causes of death.

He put bags over the heads of Sharie and Mari Winek, who both died from asphyxiation, according to their coroner’s reports also included with the lawsuit. Edwards then stabbed Brooke Winek, who died from a wound to her spinal cord, according to her coroner’s report.

It sounds like the two sisters are not living together, which I think is sad. Hopefully they are both recovering from their respective traumas.

In a lawsuit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Central California, the teen’s aunt, [M.B.], sued the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and Edwards’ estate for damages, citing violation of 4th Amendment rights, battery and negligent hiring, supervision and retention, among other allegations. [M.B.], who is the guardian of the 15-year-old’s younger sister, has also sued on behalf of the younger child, and is seeking unspecified financial compensation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back