Found Deceased CA - Zachary Kennedy, 31, Long Beach, 22 Oct 2017 *Arrest*

On Thursday said they had found what they believe are human remains buried in the yard of a Long Beach home where Zach Kennedy was last seen. Zach was an acquaintance with the man who owns the home on Eighth Street near Magnolia Avenue The two had recently met online. The last time Zach Kennedy was seen was at the house was in October.

Police said they haven’t arrested anyone in the case.

https://www.presstelegram.com/2018/...each-yard-is-his-son-its-a-very-numb-feeling/

I just passed the house last night, lights were on in the middle of this long in length house. Waiting patiently for an arrest. (I live 3 blocks from there)

On Thursday said they had found what they believe are human remains buried in the yard of a Long Beach home where Zach Kennedy was last seen. Zach was an acquaintance with the man who owns the home on Eighth Street near Magnolia Avenue The two had recently met online. The last time Zach Kennedy was seen was at the house was in October.

Police said they haven’t arrested anyone in the case.

https://www.presstelegram.com/2018/...each-yard-is-his-son-its-a-very-numb-feeling/

I just passed the house last night, lights were on in the middle of this long in length house. Waiting patiently for an arrest. (I live 3 blocks from there)

Why is justice sooo dang slow in some instances? There *HAS* to be more than enough to arrest this dude

I haven’t seen this article before. Lots of disturbing details. I can’t believe there still hasn’t been an arrest made. Texts suggest missing man overdosed before being buried in Long Beach yard, warrant says • Long Beach Post

For reference, another example of cadaver dogs missing remains:

“According to court documents, police searched the Eighth Street home three separate times after Zach Kennedy went missing.

They first swept through on Nov. 3 and again on March 19, but they did not find Zach Kennedy’s body despite using dogs trained to sniff out cadavers, according to court records.”

“It is absolutely disgusting what was done,” Superior Court Judge Gary J. Ferrari said. “But putting that aside, that could be different than the actual second-degree murder.”

The decision is a significant twist in the prosecution of Scott Leo, who is still facing other charges in the death of 31-year-old Zach Kennedy, whose disappearance more than three years ago sparked an intense search by police and garnered national media attention.

Leo’s attorney has admitted his client essentially let Kennedy die in October 2017 when the younger man overdosed or began suffocating after a night of drug use and sex.

But, over the course of several court hearings in recent months, defense attorney Matthew Kaestner has spent hours arguing that’s not enough to justify a murder charge.

“I agree it sounds bad that Scott Leo could have watched him take his last breath, but in California, you don’t have a duty to act unless you have a special relationship,” Kaestner said Wednesday, using a parent neglecting a child or a doctor overprescribing dangerous pills as examples of people violating that “special relationship.”

In his ruling, Ferrari declined to throw out a charge of involuntary manslaughter and a trio of narcotics counts including maintaining a house for drug use.

But the remaining charges could land Leo behind bars for only a maximum of four years if he’s found guilty instead of the 15 years to life the murder conviction would have carried, Kaestner said.

Leo, who was in quarantine in Los Angeles County Jail, wasn’t in court to hear the verdict.

“I haven’t been able to talk to him, but I imagine that he’s relatively elated,” Kaestner said shortly after the ruling. Ferrari also lowered Leo’s bail from $500,000 to $100,000—although it’s unclear if he’ll be able to afford even the reduced amount.

Kennedy’s father, Jeff, who has pushed to keep Leo behind bars, was deflated by the news.

“It’s hard to take,” he said. He and prosecutors saw Leo’s actions as murder.

In court, Deputy District Attorney Simone Shay relied on an “implied malice” theory to justify the murder charge—meaning Leo may not have intended to kill, but he knew his actions were likely to cause Kennedy’s death and he continued anyway.

Leo had a long history of inviting over young men to use meth or GHB and have sex, meaning he likely knew the dangers of overdosing on the drugs, she argued.

When Kennedy was dying in the bathtub, Leo began texting a friend, saying Kennedy’s lips were blue and he couldn’t find a pulse but he didn’t want to call for help because he’d been chastised by police in the past for drug use.

“In this case, for that entire period of time, we have insight into the defendant’s mind,” Shay said.

Leo recognized the dire situation Kennedy was in but chose not to act, according to the prosecutor.

“What this man did is sit there and watch another human life ebb away in his home and chose not to call 911 because he didn’t want to get another lecture from police,” she said.

Kaestner seized on that point, arguing that Leo’s inaction in calling for help doesn’t constitute an action that led to someone’s death. It was most likely drugs—which Kennedy very well may have taken on his own accord—that actually caused the death.

“Of course, this doesn’t preclude the people from refiling this,” he said—prompting a quick reply from Kaestner suggesting prosecutors appeal the judge’s decision if they disagree with it fervently enough to file an entirely new case.

“I have no problem with that,” Ferrari said. “I’ve made mistakes before.”

“This isn’t one of them, your honor,” Kaestner quipped.

That, the judge said, is yet to be seen.
Judge dismisses murder charge against man accused of burying victim in yard • Long Beach Post News

This is so tragic.

How unfair — the guy didn’t want to stop partying and thought he’d get in trouble for drug use again so he failed to call 911 and get an ambulance there in time to save Zac.

CA has the Good Samaritan law...I guess this guy isn’t good enough to be a Samaritan!

I hope the best for Zac’s family and truly hope that justice prevails.

This is a prime example of the being such a cultural fear of the police that people die (are allowed to die) to avoid interaction with authority figures.

Have no doubt, lives like this are lost all the time as an indirect result of political polarization and they are never counted. If it was more widely known that there are other emergency numbers that can be called that don't go directly to the police this guy could still be alive. If this Leo guy didn't hate the police so much that he was afraid to even drag Zach to the sidewalk or roll him out of his car at the emergency room he found still be alive.

This is so tragic.

How unfair — the guy didn’t want to stop partying and thought he’d get in trouble for drug use again so he failed to call 911 and get an ambulance there in time to save Zac.

CA has the Good Samaritan law...I guess this guy isn’t good enough to be a Samaritan!

I hope the best for Zac’s family and truly hope that justice prevails.
The Good Samaritan Act doesn't require you to act. It protects you from being sued by the helped person, if they decide they didn't want your help, or believe they were injured by your help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back