California - Coronavirus COVID-19

I too have been encouraging series reading, and trying to keep a few books ahead of them in terms of requests from our main library.

Plus one of those signs on the window is instructions for accessing ebooks/audiobooks via Overdrive. Hopefully some folks are doing that too.

Ooh, I just realized I don't have any audiobooks on display. I might try to squeeze out a little more space for that tomorrow.

People will learn to follow your suggestions - just as people used to do in many large libraries where some books were off limits. I hope more people discover audio books, there are some amazing ones.

The book quarantine issue is of interest to me (as well as libraries, as my younger daughter is currently laid off from her job as an assistant librarian - but she expects to go back in August).

We know that dry air increases transmission of CoVid. Books are often stored in dry areas, and books themselves soak up some humidity from the air. So libraries tend to be drier than the outside environment and with very poor ventilation.

We also know in my county that the one big library did in fact become a "hot spot" in early transmission into the homeless community that lives nearby. My daughter's job was more like being a social worker, many times, and people used the library as their living room. Our county has no mask requirement - the library will have one, but how much will that do?

The books themselves bother me only a little. We buy used books all the time. We've been quarantining them in our sunroom (100° plus) for at least 5 days, often more. For very dry, brittle books this would be a disaster, so we're freezing them - DH wants them to be there for like a month. That also kills bedbugs.

However, once out of the freezer, do we then subject them to brief (3 days in the sunroom?) I don't know - I won't be reading those. At any rate, once out of the freezer, they are probably safe to transfer to a bookshelf wash hands, then avoid reading for another week.

(I think all of this is somewhat overkill - because frankly, wearing both a mask and a face shield when going out would be more appropriate - and we haven't started doing that).

I'm not at all sure that freezing does the virus any harm whatsoever -- curious if you have any data on that.

If we reopen to patrons inside, I think we will post a sign saying we appreciate if patrons wear masks, but I don't know that we would require it -- there have been some incidents of violence by angry people who don't believe masks are necessary. I had a patron a few weeks ago who didn't even want to check out books, but had three bags of books she wanted to donate, and was angry and hostile toward me when I had to tell her we're not accepting donations right now. She was peeved and started yelling about how no one in our area even has the virus -- I had to point out that if that's true, "we'd like to keep it that way" so we're being extra cautious. *sigh*

In fact, for the last ten years I've been a pollworker for the county when election day comes along, and had been about ready to retire from doing that. Now what with the virus, the polling place will have to change things a bit to maintain social distance and protect pollworker safety, and also alter procedures to deal with the mail-in ballots everyone is getting whether they ask for them or not. I just have the feeling that, in addition to whatever political tension there will be come November, we will have people show up angry about any change in procedure due to the virus. Sadly, those angry people take their anger out on the pollworkers and I just decided I didn't care to be the recipient of that, so I went ahead and told the County Elections office that I'm retiring.

I may eventually end up doing similar re the library, but not yet, will see how things go.

I too have been encouraging series reading, and trying to keep a few books ahead of them in terms of requests from our main library.

Plus one of those signs on the window is instructions for accessing ebooks/audiobooks via Overdrive. Hopefully some folks are doing that too.

Ooh, I just realized I don't have any audiobooks on display. I might try to squeeze out a little more space for that tomorrow.
I have been putting a library brochure and information bookmarks (on Overdrive) in with every stack of books for curbside just so they have all the web addresses they will need to navigate getting eBooks or audiobooks if we suddenly shut down again.

I have been putting a library brochure and information bookmarks (on Overdrive) in with every stack of books for curbside just so they have all the web addresses they will need to navigate getting eBooks or audiobooks if we suddenly shut down again.
I love how passionate all librarians here are for their jobs and patrons. I tend to buy my books at B&N or download them to my kindle app but have decided that I will be visiting my local library once it reopens. Can hardly wait :)

I love how passionate all librarians here are for their jobs and patrons. I tend to buy my books at B&N or download them to my kindle app but have decided that I will be visiting my local library once it reopens. Can hardly wait :)
Californians - you especially should read The Library Book. It's about the largest library fire ever, and it took place in your state. It really is a fascinating read.

Thank you for the suggestion. I’m always looking for something good to read.
It's an excellent book. Partly the story of the fire, partly the history of the library (that library and libraries in general). Some California history mixed in there too IIRC.

And as long as you already have a library card, you don't have to wait to make use of your library. Even if they aren't open for curbside service, they may be open for non-contact assistance with ebooks etc. I think you can even use Overdrive on your Kindle maybe? Not sure about that one.

It's an excellent book. Partly the story of the fire, partly the history of the library (that library and libraries in general). Some California history mixed in there too IIRC.

And as long as you already have a library card, you don't have to wait to make use of your library. Even if they aren't open for curbside service, they may be open for non-contact assistance with ebooks etc. I think you can even use Overdrive on your Kindle maybe? Not sure about that one.
I will look into that today. Thank you :)

California Hits New High In COVID-19 Hospitalizations

“Hospitalizations are seen as a more reliable metric for tracking the coronavirus pandemic than new case numbers as the figure does not hinge on the availability of testing. Before Saturday set a high of 3,574, the previous record was on April 29, when 3,497 people were hospitalized in the state.

The rise in hospitalizations comes as California has entered stage two of its reopening plan, allowing some businesses to resume operations, including retail, offices, personal services and child care.

The majority of new cases in the state are in Southern California and the Central Valley. Los Angeles County has the most hospitalized patients — 1,515 — followed by Orange and Riverside counties.”“

Gov. Newsom delivers sobering update about COVID-19 in California as businesses begin to reopen

“Newsom said that California is still in the middle of the first wave of the virus.

“Those that suggest that we’re out of the woods, those that suggest this is somehow going to disappear, these numbers tell a very, very different and sobering story,” Newsom said.“

[,,,]

“Governor Newsom made it very clear how we can get those numbers to go back down.“

[...]

“Newsom also provided new figures on California’s finances, the state is facing a $54.3-billion budget deficit due to the economic challenges presented by the pandemic.“

“As counties discuss bringing back everything from zoos to tattoo parlors, many residents and public health officers are worried change is happening too fast, and without a clear idea of the impact.

“The problem is we’re not seeing the kind of flattening we would like,” said Dr. Lee Riley, an infectious disease expert at UC Berkeley.

Riley said hospitalization numbers are more telling than case numbers in terms of how the virus is behaving.

“The fact that there’s also an increase in the number of hospitalizations suggests that it’s not just because of the testing," he said. "That means that there are more transmissions occurring.”“

https://www.capradio.org/articles/2...as-california-covid-19-hospitalizations-rise/

Coronavirus updates: Nationwide testing shortage deals setback to surging California

“The coronavirus pandemic is becoming an increasingly urgent situation in the Sacramento region and across California as a whole, both of which are grappling with record-setting influxes of new cases and quickly filling intensive care units of some hospitals.

The newest and most severe local setback came with Monday’s announcement that Sacramento County will need to at least temporarily close five community test centers this week, all of them in underserved communities, due to a lack of testing materials caused by a nationwide supply shortage.”

[...]

“Considering the county and state’s recent emphasis on contact tracing, the problem could quickly compound itself. Health officials for weeks have used diagnostic testing as a basis to track possible sources of outbreaks, as well as to identify and inform the close contacts of an infected person to urge that they get tested. Delays or the inability for those exposed to get such a test, especially in underserved communities, threaten to derail progress in tracking and mitigating spread of the virus.“

California numbers

Total cases:
277,774 (+2.2% increase)
Total deaths:
6,448 (+ 1.7% increase)
Tests reported:
Updated July 7, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. with data from July 6

COVID19.CA.GOV

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online